PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds

broli
2008-04-25, 08:42 AM
i have searched trough the website, and i cant find a rss feed for the comics.
in the weird case im not mistaken and you dont have one, is to much to ask for one ?

i really love the comics. but i susually dont remember to "look" for updates
i read tohers comics too, news, new blogposts, ect from other places in google reader
makes it easier for me, i know that, whenever a new comic is published, i will get it

if you still want people visiting your website, you can send a "notification" with only a link

so, thanks for reading, thanks for the great comics !! and sorry for any spell errors (my english is not perfect :P)

Szilard
2008-04-25, 09:01 AM
so, thanks for reading, thanks for the great comics !! and sorry for any spell errors (my english is not perfect :P)
Your spelling is good except for a typo of "other," the rest are gramarical errors.

As for a feed, I don't know.

Zherog
2008-04-25, 09:10 AM
OotS Feed:

feed://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss

Erfworld Feed:

feed://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf.rss

Both together feed:

feed://www.giantitp.com/comics/comics.rss

broli
2008-04-25, 09:44 AM
WOW, thanks !!!
now i feel a little dumb, for not finding them :P

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 10:10 AM
Nah, don't. The RSS feeds are one of those things around here that don't have a friendly, easy-to-find link (unless you're using an RSS-capable web broweser, see below). So, you either have to dig through the News pages (currently, it's on page two, January, 2007), find a place in the forums to find another user like yourself asking the same question, or just post a new thread for it here, like you did.

If you have an RSS capable browser rather than using a seperate application, though, your browser should indicate that a feed is available and give you the option to subscribe when you look at either of the comics directly. For example, when looking at OotS in Safari, an "RSS" icon appears in the address bar, and I can directly subscribe to the OotS feed. The combined feed can be accessed from the "Comics" main link—the one with the icons and the "Start" and "New" links for both OotS and Erfworld.

Myself, I've been using Opera lately. Since that does not have a built-in RSS reader, I'd have had to follow my advice from the first paragraph to find those links.

broli
2008-04-25, 10:29 AM
i use firefox, and it has that icon on the addres bar.
now i feel twice as dumb :P

i actually never use it. even when i see it.
but in this case, when i was looking for it, i probably checked the field, but on the wrong part of the website

Zherog
2008-04-25, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I found those links by digging back through the news. That's the one place I know of to consistently find them.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 12:37 PM
i use firefox, and it has that icon on the addres bar.
now i feel twice as dumb :P
Oops.

Well, I can't help you there. :smallfrown:

Yeah, I found those links by digging back through the news. That's the one place I know of to consistently find them.
Fortunately, the news section moves slowly, and they wait until there's a veritable crapload before starting a new page.

But just think how hard it may be to find five years from now. :smalltongue:

Sengir
2008-04-25, 01:01 PM
Myself, I've been using Opera lately. Since that does not have a built-in RSS reader, I'd have had to follow my advice from the first paragraph to find those links.

I'm quite certain that Opera has a built-in RSS reader (I'm using it, and I don't recall having ever installed a plug-in to that end). If you have no feeds in your list, the [Feeds] option will not appear in your menubar (IIRC, it's been a while since I started using feeds).

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 02:08 PM
I'm quite certain that Opera has a built-in RSS reader (I'm using it, and I don't recall having ever installed a plug-in to that end).
Hm. Okay. Did a double check. It's part of the Mail program within Opera. Which, conveniently enough, I don't use. In any case, there's no auto-notification icon similar to Firefox or Safari that I've ever seen.

Though that might change if I set up some Opera mail accounts.

Safari's RSS reader is in the browser proper, so I never thought to look anywhere else.

Sengir
2008-04-26, 02:27 AM
Ah, that explains it then. I had an opera mail-account set up once, but have deleted it since. I'm still using the feed-reader without complications though, so it is not necessary to create a 'real' mail-account.

And Opera has an auto-notification icon (exactly the same as firefox)... what a strange thing to tie the feed-reader to a mail-account. I would never have thought of that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-26, 11:02 AM
Yeah, and when I try to use the links Zherog dug up for us, it wants to open the feeds with Safari.

Which, if the feed reader is in the mail program is a bit of a contrast, because when I'd click on an e-mail link, it would try to open it up in the mail reader and tell me to create an account. (I have since used the helper application preferences to open such links in Mail, though.)

I'll play with it see what I get.

EDIT: Hm. Now I'm getting the icon, and I haven't even changed anything.

Still doesn't appear it's taking to the direct links by Zherog, though.

Castaras
2008-04-27, 06:19 AM
*hmm* Maybe whoever makes the site could put links to the RSS feed in an accessible area? Rather than just in the news page?

iwarriorpoet
2008-04-28, 01:58 PM
Thanks for posting the question. I just started using Google Reader and would never have found the link without this thread.