PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a fairy

skeeter_dan
2008-04-25, 01:17 PM
I'm looking for a good Fey race to play as a rogue. Pixie is all kinds of nice (Greater Invisibility, Fly speed, and Polymorph? Yes please) but the Level Adjustment isn't as fun. Ideally, I'd like a Tiny Fey with a minimal level adjustment. Having a Fly speed would also be nice.

Any ideas?

Eldariel
2008-04-25, 01:27 PM
Pixie is by far the best option. It's got nasty LA, but it's one of the few races that's actually worth it. It's not Tiny though.

If you want Tiny, Grig is the only option I could find off the bat, at +3. If you want no LA, there's always Gruwaar from Dragon 317 (no wings). I can't recall any playable Fey in many splats.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 01:28 PM
Don't be Tiny. You can't hit things without getting AoO'd first. It's just not very tenable for rogues.

Vortling
2008-04-25, 01:38 PM
You could always use the feytouched or half-fey templates here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) to get what you want.

skeeter_dan
2008-04-25, 01:38 PM
Ah, forgot about the AoO...crap.

Jasdoif
2008-04-25, 01:40 PM
You can make ranged sneak attacks. Just need to be within 30 feet of your target.

Kizara
2008-04-25, 02:47 PM
Petal in MM3? It's OP like most of the MM3.

Chronos
2008-04-25, 03:01 PM
You also don't provoke attacks of opportunity if the enemy doesn't know you're there (which they really shouldn't, if you're playing a tiny rogue).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 03:12 PM
Ah, forgot about the AoO...crap.

Yeah, that's how we learned it. We took a few hours to help one player build a grig duelist, and then we realized the AoO issue. Of course, you can use Tumble, but that's not perfect. And you'll still get disarmed, tripped, grappled, and bull-rushed all to hell.

The Rose Dragon
2008-04-25, 03:16 PM
You want a pixie. You need a pixie. Fly speed usually comes with LA, so do non-humanoid types.

Jasdoif
2008-04-25, 03:17 PM
Oh, how could I forget this until now? Fax's Pixie Lance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52080&highlight=pixie).

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-25, 05:06 PM
If you wanted to be completely overpowered, you could choose Shaedling as a race. They're a Lolth created fay race that has the ability to form shadow into any object weighing less than 15 lbs. I repeat, *any* object. I'll let your imaginations run wild. :smallwink:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-04-25, 05:21 PM
Wait, how does the whole AoO thing work when a small creature is moving up to a larger creature? Do smaller creatures move in smaller increments? On a similar note, is a 5-ft step five feet for everything?

Jayngfet
2008-04-25, 05:28 PM
tiny, guess that rules out zietigiests.

Jasdoif
2008-04-25, 05:34 PM
Wait, how does the whole AoO thing work when a small creature is moving up to a larger creature? Do smaller creatures move in smaller increments?It's all a matter of reach. Larger creatures have longer reaches.

Tiny (and smaller) creatures normally have a reach of 0 feet, which means they don't threaten any squares around them, although they can attack into their own square normally (and thus threaten that square).

On a similar note, is a 5-ft step five feet for everything?Yes, assuming the creature has a speed of more then five feet. If it doesn't, it can't take a five-foot-step, because moving five feet requires a move action for such slow creatures.

Ivius
2008-04-25, 05:46 PM
I'm not touching that one...

Reinboom
2008-04-25, 05:50 PM
You could be a Jermlaine from MM2. (+0 LA)
Throw on a winged template, which I believe is +1 LA.

Voila! You have an ugly flying rat! (It's a Fey still :smalltongue: )

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 06:29 PM
Wait, how does the whole AoO thing work when a small creature is moving up to a larger creature? Do smaller creatures move in smaller increments? On a similar note, is a 5-ft step five feet for everything?

Every time a Tiny creature wants to attack something, it has to move into that creature's space. If that creature is Small or bigger (i.e. has a reach of 5 ft. or more), this provokes an attack of opportunity, since you're moving out of one of their threatened squares and are not taking a withdraw action. It's the same as approaching a Large creature with 10-foot reach - you have to move from one of their threatened squares into another one, and provoke an AoO.

You can sidle over with 5-foot steps, but that means you take an extra round to close with the enemy. (And anyway, they can keep moving away from you, and since you don't threaten squares around you, you're not getting AoOs.)

Sinfire Titan
2008-04-25, 06:46 PM
Dusklings, from Magic of Incarnum. Killoren, from Races of the Wild. There are options out there.

Iku Rex
2008-04-25, 08:11 PM
Tiny creatures gain 5' reach with a reach weapon. The rule is in Savage Species. A petal rogue/swordsage with a spiked chain, Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade (ToB) can be quite effective.

If you don't like the chain, Underfoot Combat (RotW) lets you avoid the AoO. Leads to the nifty Confound the Big Folk tactical feat.

A third option is to use a crossbow. The Str penalty won't matter as much, and with Crossbow Sniper (PHBII) the damage is decent even when you can't get sneak attack.

Da Beast
2008-04-25, 08:40 PM
For +2 LA half fey will get you fly speed, some decent stat adjustments, and spell likes including Charm Person at will. This alone is worth the LA.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-25, 11:31 PM
Jermlaines are pretty awesome, considering they're a "free" race (+0 LA)

Squash Monster
2008-04-26, 10:16 AM
Seconded on Petal. If you can convince the DM that the (cohort) tag on its level adjustment doesn't mean anything, they're an awesome race with crazy stats, tiny size, and flight.

FlyMolo
2008-04-26, 12:16 PM
Oh, how could I forget this until now? Fax's Pixie Lance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52080&highlight=pixie).

A person the size of a houscat wielding a lance that's 2.5 feet long?

That's not crazy, that's AWESOME!

cupkeyk
2008-04-26, 12:49 PM
I don't think the Petal has a block for use as characters, has anyone calculated for it? will it be against intellectual property rights to post it? I would love to be able to play a petal bard.

Iku Rex
2008-04-26, 01:02 PM
I don't think the Petal has a block for use as characters, has anyone calculated for it? It's not very complicated. Subtract 11 (if odd) or 10 (if even) from the listed ability scores.

That makes -8 Str, +10 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Int, +0 Wis, +8 Cha.

Talya
2008-04-26, 01:07 PM
I don't think the Petal has a block for use as characters, has anyone calculated for it? will it be against intellectual property rights to post it? I would love to be able to play a petal bard.

It would be: Str -8, Dex +10, Con + 4, Int +4, Cha +8.

See table "monster PCs ability scores" on page 173 of the DMG for how to deal with that -8, btw.

Edit: doh. Ninja'ed.

Pandaren
2008-04-26, 03:07 PM
Tiny creatures equals

Death from massive damage=30

Just mentioning in case people forgot.

I think a Thorn would be a pretty good fey to play as though.

monty
2008-04-26, 03:13 PM
Tiny creatures equals

Just mentioning in case people forgot.

I think a Thorn would be a pretty good fey to play as though.

That's a stupid rule, though. When you're level 20 with 200 HP, or whatever, why should a small fraction of your total kill you?

Jasdoif
2008-04-26, 03:16 PM
Tiny creatures equals

Death from massive damage=30That's a variant. The standard rule is 50 for massive damage, regardless of size.

Iku Rex
2008-04-26, 03:17 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/2415b9k.jpg

Tiny creatures equals

Just mentioning in case people forgot.That's one of several variant rules for massive damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/massaveDamageThresholdsAndResults.htm#alternativeT hresholdLevels). The official threshold is 50 for all creatures.