PDA

View Full Version : What is the build for melee-warlock?

Frosty
2008-04-25, 01:49 PM
I know there's a way for a Warlock to turn his blast into a touch melee attack of some sort that he can make multiple attacks with in one round if he has a high enough BAB. Where is that ability, and how do I combine it with Hellfire Warlock to do massive amounts of damage with my glaive of eldritchness as a touch attack?

Person_Man
2008-04-25, 01:51 PM
Glaivelock (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=820872).

Frosty
2008-04-25, 01:54 PM
I can't access that website right now. Can you copy and paste or summarize the key components here?

kamikasei
2008-04-25, 02:04 PM
The ability is a blast shape invocation called Eldritch Glaive, and it's found in Dragon Magic. You get to use your eldritch blast as a glaive, making melee touch attacks at reach for EB damage. And yes, I do believe you can use things like Hellfire Warlock and the Chausuble of Fell Power to boost damage, as well as incorporating essence invocations.

PersonMan's link isn't very summarizable - it's a guide to the whole concept, with feats, invocations, class dips, etc. Check it out when you're actually building such a character, though.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-25, 02:13 PM
That was a link for a site on how to build a Glaivelock (i.e. Warlock whose build focuses on Eldritch Glaive.) I don't think it describes the invocation you're thinking of.

The Eldritch Glaive invocation allows you to materialize your elditch blast as though it was a Glaive as a full-round action. This is a cosmetic change however, as you get none of the bonuses to disarm and deal no weapon damage, instead you deal your normal Eldritch Blast damage.

Your attack roll becomes a reach melee touch attack, so you cannot be adjacent to the foe you are attacking, but usually must be 5' away. You can make touch attacks with your glaive as per your normal BAB (so you get an E.Glaive full-attack), and also respond to Attacks of Opportunity with this glaive during the same round that you invoke it.

You can find the full text in Dragon Magic. :smallsmile:

Frosty
2008-04-25, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm trying to conceptualize something to see if I have enough actions per round to do out a lot of damage as a touch attack in a gestalt game. I wish to do a Bard/Crusader mix on one side and Warlock/Hellfire Warlock (and possibly others, depending on what Glaivelock needs) and combining Dragonfire Inspiration damage with the fact that Glaivelocks only need Touch Attacks.

Something like +7d6 damage on top of 9d6 Eldritch Blast damage plsu however much Hellfire gives you per touch attack is...awesome.

kamikasei
2008-04-25, 02:19 PM
Well, I'm trying to conceptualize something to see if I have enough actions per round to do out a lot of damage as a touch attack in a gestalt game. I wish to do a Bard/Crusader mix on one side and Warlock/Hellfire Warlock (and possibly others, depending on what Glaivelock needs) and combining Dragonfire Inspiration damage with the fact that Glaivelocks only need Touch Attacks.

That sounds like a great idea; the guide does say Crusader stances can be useful. Gestalt changes things, of course, and opens up a good deal more dipping. The most important thing to check ahead of time though is what options are allowed to get around the Hellfire Warlock's Con damage.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-25, 02:28 PM
Personally my favorite Glaive Lock builds are something like:

Warlock 4/Ranger 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3. You can fit the Hellfire levels in earlier if you want. Gives you Warlock 17, Ur-Priest 10, CoDzilla yourself, then use Glaivelock Full attacks at full BAB while hasted (find yourself a Wizard, shouldn't be hard).

Laugh manically.

Added bonus, you can restoration your Con back up if Naberius is off the table.

Frosty
2008-04-25, 02:32 PM
That sounds like a great idea; the guide does say Crusader stances can be useful. Gestalt changes things, of course, and opens up a good deal more dipping. The most important thing to check ahead of time though is what options are allowed to get around the Hellfire Warlock's Con damage.

And if the DM doesn't allow anything to get around the con damage, is it still worth it?

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-25, 02:46 PM
There are two legal options: Using Magic of Incarnum's Strongheart Vest to reduce all ability damage by (1 + essentia invested) or using Tome of Magic's Binder class to bind a vestige called Naberius. Naberius regenerates 1 point of constitution a round to the character bound to him, quickly restoring any constitution damage you might take.

Personally, I prefer the Strongheart Vest route, especially for Hellfire Glaivelocks who often take more than a single point of constitution damage. It also opens up he option of taking 2 levels of Incarnate and binding a Crystal Helm to your crown chakra. This makes all your melee attacks gain the force descriptor, and places incorporeal foes entirely at your mercy.

If your DM doesn't allow either of those, then skill up your UMD and be sure to get access to a lot of lesser restoration scrolls or a wand. Hellfire Glaivelocks are always worth it. :smallwink:

Frosty
2008-04-25, 04:03 PM
I wonder if Wands and Potions of Lesser Restoration would take 3 rounds to work?

Paul H
2008-04-27, 03:20 PM
Hi

Wraith's Woe, MIC pgs 215/216. If you have al three parts, 1/Day, as std action, you can cure all ability damage to all stats, together with all ability drain to one stat.

Lots of other goodies in the set, which costs total 24,000gp, taking up throat, hands & torso slots.

Cheers
Paul H

Chronos
2008-04-27, 04:20 PM
And if the DM doesn't allow anything to get around the con damage, is it still worth it?Well, if nothing else, the Hellfire Warlock class description specifically states that things like Lesser Restoration will work as normal, so a divine buddy or a wand should still work. There's no good RAW argument for banning Naberius's ability score healing, either, though Strongheart Vest is debatable (the question hinges on whether "preventing 1 point of ability damage" qualifies as "immune to ability damage" for purposes of Hellfire... Some DMs will rule either way).

DrizztFan24
2008-04-27, 05:09 PM
Uhhh Hideous Blow?

Melee attack channels eldritch blast.

ladditude
2008-04-28, 12:51 AM
Uhhh Hideous Blow?

A +1 Brilliant Energy Glaive.

At level 1.

A 50,000 gold item.