PDA

View Full Version : How Many stats should there be?

Weiser_Cain
2008-04-25, 06:54 PM
Don't be shy, How many individual stats should a character have pretending players wouldn't mind keeping track of a huge number of individual stats?

weishan
2008-04-25, 09:04 PM
4 to 9 is the range I've seen in most RPGs. It depends on what type of system you want to use and personal preference. With regards to D&D, some other possible stats to include would be, but personally, I think that 6 stats works fine with D&D barring a few problems (CHA is too weak, CON is too important, etc.):

luck: (Modifies action point rolls if you use them, may help other things like rod of wonder rolls)

appearance: self explanitory. I don't personally think it's nescesary, and it's too vauge, but some people like it.

RS14
2008-04-25, 09:10 PM
For the Fudge campaign I'm thinking about, I'll probably suggest eight: Reflexes, Constitution (Includes Damage Capacity), Strength, (Manual) Dexterity, Education, Perception, Empathy, Presence.

I wanted to split Dexterity into full-body and manual dexterity.
I wanted to change the D&D mental attributes so that intelligence, wisdom, and charisma were just things you roleplayed. Empathy and Presence both seem somewhat similar, but I'm also planning them to be somewhat supernatural attributes as well, and thus their effect will have significant crunch.

Kizara
2008-04-25, 09:30 PM

Six being the DnD core 6, and the .5 being Appearance ala BoEF.

In my games, we just generate the first 6 normally and then decide on the character's appearance (which should generally be within 3 of her Cha score).

RyanM
2008-04-25, 11:05 PM
For my system, I've settled on 10.

Strength
Perception
Endurance
Constitution
Agility
Dexterity
Intelligence
Intuition
Willpower
Charisma

Wisdom gets moved to roleplaying. You really can't play a character that's more wise than you (or more creative). You can play a more intelligent character, though. You don't have to know anything about rocket science for your character to make a Profession (Rocket Scientist) or Knowledge (Rocket Science) check.

Pronounceable
2008-04-26, 02:58 AM
I'm partial to SPECIAL (except luck). That makes 6: Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility

6 is an all around good number. I'd be happier with 3, but there'd be difficulties.

Nostri
2008-04-26, 02:23 PM
I personally think the 9 from White Wolf's Storyteller system work best. It's a bit more complicated then D&D's 6 stats but there are a lot less arguments about what Charisma covers for example ("It's force of personality." "No it's the person's presence." "I always thought it was how good they looked." etc)

Orzel
2008-04-26, 07:06 PM
I'd say 5-9.
My homebrew uses 8.

Strength
Fortitude
Dexterity
Perception
Knowledge
Willpower
Creativity
Charisma