PDA

View Full Version : Seeds of Magic

drengnikrafe
2008-04-25, 11:43 PM
Me and my friend are making a joint effort to rewrite the whole way magic works, so I figure Homebrew is just the place to put it.

My job is to take all the seeds from the epic level handbook, and write 2 spells for each level of seed (which would be like the level of magic, except seed level 1 covers 1st and 2nd level spells, seed level 2 covers 3rd and 4th, and 3rd covers 5th and 6th. 7th and higher are epic, so I'm not worried about them). Of cousre, rather then writing all new spells, I'm just writing how current spells should be appropriated into the categories. But, not all of them, just reasonable ones.
Of course, not all the seeds fit snugly into spell choices for these levels, thus I figure I should post the seeds as they are to exist.

Afflict
Animate & Animate Dead (one seed)
Armor
Banish
Compel
Conceal
Conjure
Contact
Delude
Destroy & Slay (one seed)
Dispel
Energy
Forsee
Fortify
Heal & Life (one seed)
Reveal
Summon
Transform
Transport
Ward

Of course, each of the spells that goes into the seed must fit the seed description from the ELH reasonably.
I'm sort of just having trouble with what spells to put into the seeds, so any sort of help would be great.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-26, 08:56 AM
That sounds like a rather lot of work for what it gets you.

How about you simply make all the existing Core spells into seeds, by school, subschool, and descriptor, and assign base spellcraft DC's based on what level of spell it was?

drengnikrafe
2008-04-26, 02:54 PM
I was going to do that initally, but I found that choosing spells to go into seeds went a lot faster, and is much better for my deadline, which is about a month away.
I don't have to do the point system on which it's based on or anything, just pick spells.
So, what I'm really asking for is choice spells for any of these seeds which you could think up off the top of your head.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-26, 03:36 PM
I was going to do that initally, but I found that choosing spells to go into seeds went a lot faster, and is much better for my deadline, which is about a month away.
I don't have to do the point system on which it's based on or anything, just pick spells.
So, what I'm really asking for is choice spells for any of these seeds which you could think up off the top of your head.
Not quite what I meant.

Don't specifically convert them - make rules for conversion that can be applied as needed.

E.g., base Spellcraft DC = 10+2*spell level.
The spell then becomes a seed in it's own right.

Increase save DC: +2 per +1 increase.
Reduce casting time: +4 per step down (Days -> Hours -> Minutes -> Rounds -> 1 round -> 1 standard action -> 1 swift action)
Increase Duration: +4 per step (1 round -> 1 round/level -> 1 min/level -> 10 minutes/level -> 1 hour/level -> 1 day -> 1 day/level -> 1 week/level -> 1 month/level -> 1 year/level -> Permanent
Increase SR penetration: +1 per +1 effective caster level
... and so on.
You never actually make seeds seperate from the spells. You give rules by which each spell becomes it's own seed.

black dragoon
2008-04-26, 10:55 PM
Wait like Bending? Hrm...never thought of that. One thing that could save on the workload is to start with basic schools and branch out from there instead of using indivdual spells as your starting point.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-26, 11:56 PM
That sounds interesting, but that's basically transcribing Epic Spell function to regular spells. Bad idea? Not at all. What I'm looking for? Also, not at all.

However, part of the point of rebuilding this magic system was a Caster Nerf (they need it). Casters have to spend their Seed Points to buy Seeds, and making casters purchase spells at every level, and then make a spellcraft check is unfair.
I apreciate your help, but it's just... not what I'm looking to do. I'm sorry.