PDA

View Full Version : New Card Game Idea (Please Help)

penitentmalleus
2008-04-26, 12:35 AM
So I had an idea for a new TCG (yes, another.)

It's sort of a combination of Resident Evil and I, Robot. There are three groups: The Human Coalition, The Necropolis, and The RAI Robotics. A quick explanation of the last two follows, as we all know what humans are. However, I'll explain the history behind the humans at a later date.

The Necropolis-

In the year 2066, scientists discovered a new virus- Solanum. This reanimated a lifeless corpse if infected before the subject died. It caused death within 24 hours, and reanimates as a mindless zombie. These zombies, though mindless, never tired, and never felt pain. However, their use as an army was practically none, as they could not be controlled in any way. That is, until the year 2091, when Scientist William Thantas discovered FA46, a frequency that could control the zombies.
Once He discovered that he could control them, he began to augment their bodies. However, his work could not continue without notice of world leaders. They declared that William could no longer continue his work. However, William ignored them, and moved his work to the only uninhabited part of the world he could find- Antarctica.
There, he tested a new form of the virus on himself. This new, evolved virus, was designed to necrotize himself, while keeping his brain intact. It worked, although it drove William insane.
His only goal now is to revenge himself on the leaders that banished him, and to conquer the world using his newfound army of zombies, augmented or not.

The RAI Robotics-

In the year 2112, The United Earth Coalition's top scientists developed the world's first advanced robotics. It was called the Richards Artificial Entity, after the top scientist on the project. It was the closest scientists had ever come to Artificial Intelligence. These robots were designed to combat the Necropolis' growing threat. Standard troops were effective enough, but each casualty brought another new threat. The robots were ruthlessly effective. They were programmed on the best ways to destroy the zombies, using no weaponry.
However, in 2113, less than a year after their employment, the robots began to display small glitches. To fix this, scientists focused on creating RAI, or Richards Artificial Intelligence. By the year 2115, they succeeded. However, after completion, the AI's program vanished. The scientists were baffled. They tracked its trail to a warehouse were RAEs were being built. However, the AI's trail went dead there. It was discovered there that one of the RAE's that had been plugged into the warehouse's mainframe was missing, and that the AI had probably commandeered the REI into housing it.
In 2114, all RAE's suddenly revolted. However, they killed no humans. They simply ran away. They were tracked to a base in the northern part of russia, where RAI had built a large compound that produced many new variants of the RAE. These new robots began to attack both human and zombie alike, for reasons as of yet unknown to either group.

Please tell me what you think, either by posting here, or messaging me privately!

Warshrike
2008-04-26, 10:21 AM
It sounds a bit commonplace... "tech", "Bio" and "average" race... Still, it depends how you'd implement it. I'd be interested in helping out, or at least hearing aboot your progress.

What other ideas do you have bar that basic outline??

penitentmalleus
2008-04-26, 10:44 AM
I don't have any set things yet.

I do know of some concepts I'm considering:

Using a base card. Base cards would be sort of like a home base for units to be produced. Base cards would give additional production, and some would grant special effects. Everyone needs to have a base card, otherwise their production is minimal.

Also, I'd like to see unit and base production determined by dice. I think that random element might make the game a little bit more interesting.

Other than that, I don't know for sure yet.

Warshrike
2008-04-26, 11:51 PM
Cool. So you could upgrade the base card and such... And if it dies, you lose?? Well what sort of units would you be producing?? Does that depend on the cards you have, or are they mainly spells and abilities, etc??
Or is this a sorta strategy game/card game hybrid??

Twin2
2008-04-27, 12:25 AM
I always like in mtg how they have all the races, but aside from their flavor you're not a part of that and so forth. Perhaps you can use that where as the two players are merely an engagement using the factions involved with some cards getting bonuses from working with others, and others having drawbacks to tie into the flavor aspect.

penitentmalleus
2008-04-27, 05:54 AM
Yes, basically, once your base is completely destroyed, you lose.
However, the more upgrades you make, the tougher it'd be to destroy.
And I was hoping for more of a strategy game feel to it.
And the concept of faction wars has been stewing in my brain for some time now, and I like it.

Warshrike
2008-04-27, 06:20 AM
Ok. What aboot breaking the three sides further?? For example, you could have Zombies under the control of the scientest, and then those who don't have that control and just do Zombie type activity...

penitentmalleus
2008-04-27, 01:51 PM
That's what I was thinking about.
But mindless zombies don't make sense and such.
However, there will be humans and robots in the zombie faction, and vice versa. Not as many, but there will be some.
I think.
Could you enlighten me more as to what you were thinking?

Gael_Judicium
2008-04-27, 09:35 PM
This look interesting.... I'll keep an eye on this thread and post my two cents.

penitentmalleus
2008-04-27, 09:55 PM
Alright cool.

Twin2
2008-04-27, 09:59 PM
That's what I was thinking about.
But mindless zombies don't make sense and such.
However, there will be humans and robots in the zombie faction, and vice versa. Not as many, but there will be some.
I think.
Could you enlighten me more as to what you were thinking?

Mindless zombies can make sense. After all they are reanimated corpses driven only by the need to consume flesh/brains/whatever the story requires. It's not hard to find some that only act on that drive devouring whoever, and whatever they can find.

If you haven't already I suggest taking a look at other ccgs and seeing what they did that succeeded, failed, or worked out in an interesting way not expected, and see how that can apply to your ideas (without breaking any form of copyright of course).

Also I can not stress this enough, but follow KISS.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid (no offense meant)

The last thing you need are overly complex rules, or mechanics. (see rarity system of yugioh).

penitentmalleus
2008-04-28, 09:04 PM
Ha I see what you mean about overly complex stuff.
I really was hoping to keep it simple, though.

Twin2
2008-04-28, 09:39 PM
Well then lets hear some of the mechanics/gameplay you're hoping to use for the game. We really don't know that much about the game besides a few informational tidbits.

penitentmalleus
2008-04-30, 11:32 PM
That's what I'm currently working on.
I want production to be based on dice. Basically, different bases give you different dice to roll, some will have a minimum production, and some will have production multipliers.

Combat is the tricky thing, because I don't want my system to be toooooo cliche.

Raiser Blade
2008-04-30, 11:59 PM
I want production to be based on dice. Basically, different bases give you different dice to roll, some will have a minimum production, and some will have production multipliers.

Combat is the tricky thing, because I don't want my system to be toooooo cliche.

I could give some ideas for combat but first I need to know how much of a factor do you want luck to be?

Twin2
2008-05-01, 10:44 AM

That could get complicated fast so you might want to keep dice action limited to be honest (perhaps rolls at the start, and only certain cards require them). I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself though. Get the base of the game down first (rules, what it takes to win, ect), then move on to the mechanics.