PDA

View Full Version : Epic builds (non-wizard)

rockdeworld
2008-04-26, 10:57 AM
If there's anything I've learned on this board, it's Epic Spells = Win (thanks Tippy). So I figure that Wizard 5/Incantatirix 10/IotSV 10 (and thereabouts) is about the best epic PC. But what aside from that (i.e., in support of that?), makes a good epic PC?

It doesn't matter what level, just what's a good epic build (outside of being a wizard)? I have the idea that an epic Monk with ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and Spellcraft + Epic Spellcasting would make for a b****ing fighter/spellcaster build (at any level above 21), since it incorporates Epic Spellcasting, but that's still wizarding it up.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-26, 11:03 AM
Yes, Tippy sure came up with "epic spells = win." It's not like it's explicit in the actual rules...

How would a Monk get Epic Spellcasting, anyway? You need to be able to cast 9th-level spells.

There are no good epic builds. D&D absolutely falls apart over 20th level; the higher you go, the worse it gets. And absolutely nothing compares to full casters, with or without Epic Spellcasting. Most epic feats are worthless in themselves. (Especially when you can often find a non-epic feat that does the same or more.)

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-04-26, 11:18 AM
I've played in a few games past 20th level where non-casters could be very important to the success of the group. Mind you those games had a lot of house rules and kind of ignored the epic rules, and epic spellcasting was not an option,(epic spell casting can beat everything EXCEPT the DM when he overrules it existing, which most DM's should IMHO) though the spellcasters were still far better than the "thugs".

So yeah If your going by the epic rules as written the entire system kinda falls apart reguardless after level 20... though there are some kinda fun epic prestige classes from back in 3.0 I think the one I'm thinking of is the "juggernought" class. Just becouse the system is broken and your not as cool as the casters doesn't mean it's absolutely no fun...

nargbop
2008-04-26, 07:19 PM
The game should never include squares or hexes at epic level. Your ability to act should be limited by imagination and the bull****-o-meter of your group. Can the epic dervish dance across the heads of the opposing army, daintily kicking away halberds and stepping on swords and she merrily cleaves heads off ? Can the epic barbarian scream louder than thunder, frightening it into submission? Can the epic scout count the hairs on the fly across the room?
Make rolls, by all means, but it should be about the story, not numbers. You can powergame if that floats your boat, but there are other ways to play too.
Monks cannot cast, so they cannot be epic casters.

nargbop
2008-04-26, 07:32 PM
Just realized I didn't answer the question.
Figure out who you want to play, then build him. I know it sounds flippant, but it's the only advice worth taking. Discover your character, then stat him using the books you have available.
My epic evil dervish who lived for glory, who wanted nothing but the exultation of a worldwide audience, would be built like so : Rogue 7 / Dervish 10 / Exemplar 4 (dance) , and keep going with Exemplar. This is NOT a build that throws out amazing damage, but it has the representative statistics of the woman I had in mind.

bosssmiley
2008-04-27, 08:29 AM
The game should never include squares or hexes at epic level. Your ability to act should be limited by imagination and the bull****-o-meter of your group. Can the epic dervish dance across the heads of the opposing army, daintily kicking away halberds and stepping on swords and she merrily cleaves heads off ? Can the epic barbarian scream louder than thunder, frightening it into submission? Can the epic scout count the hairs on the fly across the room?
Make rolls, by all means, but it should be about the story, not numbers. You can powergame if that floats your boat, but there are other ways to play too.
Monks cannot cast, so they cannot be epic casters.

copy > paste > print > stick onto frontispiece of the ELH. :smallcool: