PDA

View Full Version : Angband

Edanor
2008-04-26, 04:13 PM
Thats right folks, it's the least advanced game I have that will run. Anybody here play it, or even better, play MAngband?

JMobius
2008-04-26, 06:17 PM
I don't like it much.

It feels like playing an MMO without the social interaction, the degree to which its a grind. The highest I ever managed to get to was one prodigical character who made it to about level 35, before getting one-shotted by something as I rounded a corner. Considering how long it had taken me to get to that point, I pretty much packed up the game for good after that.

I much prefer the -hack branch of roguelikes, with ADOM being by far by favorite.

EvilElitest
2008-04-28, 10:32 PM
odd name, is it releveant to ME at all through?
from
EE

valadil
2008-04-29, 08:30 AM
I prefer ZAngband. It gives you a world map outside of the dungeon. There are "quests" in the world map. There are even other towns with other dungeons to visit.

pendell
2008-04-29, 08:53 AM
odd name, is it releveant to ME at all through?
from
EE

Yes; The concept is that you are infiltrating Morgoth's stronghold of the same name. Morgoth, Sauron, and others are all possible monster encounters.

Of course, all the action takes place in a dungeon, so there's little to distinguish it from any other roguelike. But there is a definite touch of middle earth flavor.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

nooblade
2008-04-29, 01:17 PM
I prefer other roguelikes, but I played it for a bit. I never quite got the hang of diving, which seems extremely dangerous and completely unlike roleplaying (where diving is defined as delving deeper and deeper into the dungeon in search of nice stuff lying on the ground as quickly as possible, regardless of dangerous creatures). On the other hand, not diving is a little bit like min/maxing, since you take knowledge of what you expect to find and get all kinds of nice gear and things in preparation for situations you've been killed in before.

The way the game is set up, I think it's impossible to win without taking into account previous experience from other characters or reading guides. It's a big time sink, imho.

Except Quylthulges. They rock.

DrizztFan24
2008-05-05, 08:36 AM
I play. I play Angband and DrAngband. I got sucked into it through family. My dad is the caretaker so after school I'll head over to his office and start up a borg or twenty....or I'll play a cleric.