PDA

View Full Version : Divine Divinity

Fri
2008-04-26, 09:11 PM
Wow. It's surprisingly good. Not perfect, but surprisingly good. To be honest, as traditional single player non party computer RPG goes, I prefer this more than Neverwinter night.

I recently got my hand on this old-(2001? 2002?)-old school crpg from some sort of gaming trash bin. Basically it's like diablo, with horde of enemy and random equipment drops, but with story (real story, unlike most hack and slash) and massive non linear world filled with quest and items. Actually, I thought it as old elder scroll game transfered into isometric hack and slash engine.

It's something personal, but actually, this is the game that I had been looking for since highschool. I played fallout series, planescape torment, and those are really great games, but this sort of non linear hack and slash with story is something I always want to play.

I haven't finished it yet, it's massive. But do you playgrounders know about other game like this?

I got my own pc around 2004, so I start buying games around that year. I played computer games for ages, but in my parent's pc, and back then I didn't buy pc games by myself. I missed a lot of good old games. Any help?

factotum
2008-04-27, 01:14 AM
Divine Divinity was good, and it had a wicked sense of humour (loved the two skeletons who just collapsed in the catacombs after thinking a bit too deeply about how they held together, what with being fleshless skeletons and all). The sequel, Beyond Divinity, was nothing like as good, unfortunately; not only did it introduce the annoying idea of two separate characters who would both die if either of them did, it also had these "Battleground" things that, as far as I can tell, were just put in as places to let your character level up because the designers couldn't balance the main game properly. Never actually finished it.

Afraid I don't know of any other RPGs that are really like DD. Larian Studios, the creators of the game, still exist and are apparently working on a "next gen" RPG, but no news has come out about their progress in a while now.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-27, 06:31 AM
I absolutely loved Divine Divinity, but indeed, the sequel wasn't as good. What was the point of having that knight hang around anyways? It wasn't as if you could modify much of his equipment, or even have him level in a certain direction...

As fro games like it, I'm sure i've played some, but I can't think of any right now. You might want to try the new Bard's Tale and Kult, but they're still not quite the same.