PDA

View Full Version : Nexus War - Straylight

Bobnik
2008-04-26, 09:53 PM
Just plugging a free browser game I really enjoy...

Nexus War (http://www.nexuswar.com/)

A new version, Straylight, has just been released. It features new areas, new items, and much more newb-friendliness. It's also been rewritten for much less lag and the dreaded server "black holes" have been eliminated.

It's completely free and while there are some premium in-game items for sale, THEY ARE ALL FLAVOUR ONLY, so those who choose not to pay are at no disadvantage.

The game itself uses some of the same mechanics as Urban Dead, like Action Points, but it's really in it's own genre. There is extensive wiki support and help for new players.

My personal experience is that the playerbase are a reasonably nice bunch of people, with no more trolls and idjits than average. The game mostly revolves around faction membership (although it is not essential) so griefers tend to be identified and shunned.

Mephisto
2008-04-26, 10:47 PM
I'm seconding this. The new update brings a huge amount of new content in areas to explore and fight over, and quite a few new skills. And while the game may have a focus on factional warfare, it's quite possible to play factionless.

Neftren
2008-04-26, 10:50 PM
Currently... my level 30 Seraph has died twice trying to navigate the wierd interface. My Lore searcher ES (also maxed) has died from repeated wraith griefing by Haldos and my mortal is unchanged.

I like some of the new stuff (Umbral Sword is amazingly good) and then again, I don't like some of the other stuff. I have yet to find out the rest of the scoop, since I'm dead.

Anyway, is anyone interested in creating a Giant in the Playground faction?

Bobnik
2008-04-27, 01:55 AM
Well, if you hang out with Haldos, that's what happens. For those who haven't played, Haldos is a wandering monster, a big bad lich with an undead posse. He is confined to one particular area though.

It is true the new UI is somewhat daunting, but as you learn the game, you will find that it's all useful. Some of it you will use or not use often depending on you character classes or playstyles, but that is up to you.

Neftren
2008-04-27, 07:21 AM
Well, if you hang out with Haldos, that's what happens. For those who haven't played, Haldos is a wandering monster, a big bad lich with an undead posse. He is confined to one particular area though.

It is true the new UI is somewhat daunting, but as you learn the game, you will find that it's all useful. Some of it you will use or not use often depending on you character classes or playstyles, but that is up to you.

The only issue I have with Haldos is that he wanders through every square, and kills everything in sight. It's like the Dragon, but worse. It's probably Jorm's cruel little joke to kill loresearchers.

Captain van der Decken
2008-04-27, 08:41 AM
Well.. the SoD nerf is kinda annoying for my shooty rev. Though I do have the CP to go melee and take Umbral Sword and Animus of the Bat, which looks nice. Just 10 more exploration badges to pick fencing.

I like the new attacking popups, makes it harder to accidentally shoot the wrong person.

Also, I've got a factionless mortal that'd be happy to join a GitP faction.

Edit: having to go through the help page to get to the wiki is kinda annoying, too. I'm used to the wiki link being there, after all.

Edanor
2008-04-27, 08:50 AM
Wonderful, the Create Account button just broke. :furious:

Neftren
2008-04-27, 12:28 PM
Well.. the SoD nerf is kinda annoying for my shooty rev. Though I do have the CP to go melee and take Umbral Sword and Animus of the Bat, which looks nice. Just 10 more exploration badges to pick fencing.

I like the new attacking popups, makes it harder to accidentally shoot the wrong person.

Also, I've got a factionless mortal that'd be happy to join a GitP faction.

Edit: having to go through the help page to get to the wiki is kinda annoying, too. I'm used to the wiki link being there, after all.

I wouldn't do that. I suggest waiting until the Nifleheim slugger weapon appears before making any decisions.

The only complaint I have now is that the windows appear in inconvenient places that obstruct the main view.

nothingclever
2008-04-27, 01:05 PM
I'm just starting this game today but I'll make a faction for GitP when I can.

Neftren
2008-04-27, 04:33 PM
I'm just starting this game today but I'll make a faction for GitP when I can.

I wouldn't do that if I were you... let me do it. I can guarantee instant stronghold from day one and I can also infuse too. The only catch is that it won't be called GitP or something like it. (unless you want a lower level character to make it). Alternatively, send me 75 credits and I'll make another character slot and that'll free up my main character for a new faction. (I can trade nine magic swords for it).

I've had the idea of a sort of "Nexal Newswire" that runs around throwing newspapers around in addition to writing an actual Nexal Newspaper via Forums or Blogspot etc. If you're interested, tell me. If not, I'll see if I can do something else about it.

I'm restarting my third slot and going for Rev build this time around.

Captain van der Decken
2008-04-27, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't do that. I suggest waiting until the Nifleheim slugger weapon appears before making any decisions.

Hey, I already have the small arms tree, taking melee as well can't hurt.

Then again, I don't have the gunsmithing tree.. I've mostly been grabbing pristine guns from the faction safe. I doubt I'll see many pristine colts in the safe for a while, at least.

Neftren
2008-04-27, 05:17 PM
Hey, I already have the small arms tree, taking melee as well can't hurt.

Then again, I don't have the gunsmithing tree.. I've mostly been grabbing pristine guns from the faction safe. I doubt I'll see many pristine colts in the safe for a while, at least.

Send me a Character ID link and I'll see if I can find ways to help you optimize or something.