PDA

View Full Version : Kult, what is it?

EvilElitest
2008-04-26, 10:33 PM
I've heard rumors from friend of a game called Kult made in 1991. I learned very little from the Wikipedia article. Is it any good? I know it is mature and occultish, but i have an driving curiosity, what exacltly is it?
from
EE

Stallogarro
2008-05-20, 05:37 AM
I played Kult a lot in the 90's. In fact it remains one of my favorite rpgs to this day! The system is a d20 variation (not too much relation with the D&D system), and the setting is modern horror. The feel is dark, very dark. I would compare the settings primarily with Delta Green, except a distinct lack of Lovecraftian villains.

One of my favorite scenarios ever was a tournament at Archon (Oslo-based gaming convention) where the characters were a group of two brothers and a sister, all underage.

Pay in mind that I personally have played CoC and similar, modern horror type games a LOT more than D&D-style fantasy settings, so I'm probably biased. But I enjoyed it a lot as a teenager.

Whoracle
2008-05-20, 06:01 AM
KULT is a swedish Dark Fantasy/Splatterpunk RPG. For me it was the introduction to P'n'P-Gaming, and as of today it has the singlemost GRIMDARK(tm) setting I've ever seen. Beats even 40k.

For a quick (slightly spoiler-infused) primer on the systems mood, read the flavour text in the spoiler tags here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80418).

That's just descriptions for one handout, and it gets worse the more you gather the backstory.

Currently KULT is in it's third Edition, called "Beyond The Veil", but frankly, its discontinued, and you'd be better off searching the 2nd Ed. rulebook on eBay.

But mind, I searched 5 years until I had all the Rulebooks. It's kinda hard to find sometimes (curse you, metropolis sourcebook, CURSE YOU, Purgatory!)

So, bottom line: If you like horror gaming, go ahead, get it. You'll love it. If not, you'll hate it.

Winterwind
2008-05-20, 06:06 AM
Played it in a freeform group, so I can't say anything about the mechanics, but the setting seemed quite interesting. The group I played in was primarily concerned with the question "How far will people go for power?", and the mood was appropriately sinister. Can recommend it, albeit only to mature groups. :smallcool:

Another thing - I heard it's far more fun to play, and judging from my experiences I think I can second this, if you as player do not know the dark secrets of the setting and discover them only slowly while playing. The people I played with literally described reading the books as sacrifice, for the sole reason of no longer being able to learn about the world in-play but having it all spoiled to them instead.

Avilan the Grey
2008-05-20, 07:03 AM
I bought the first box when it came out; unfortunately our gaming group broke up about a month later, so I have never played it. I no longer have the box either, and it was in Swedish, so it still wouldn't help you.

As stated above, the setting is very dark, and insanity is something you have to count on at some point.

I personally find it even darker than the octopus-head game.

EvilElitest
2008-06-10, 10:09 PM
1) What is the general plot
2) Where can you get this?

It sounds interesting
from
EE

Driderman
2008-06-11, 03:58 AM
There's no "general plot" as such, it's a pen & paper roleplaying game. So, the DM (or whatever it's called in Kult) creates the plot, you know? A bit like D&D really, only swedish and with spooky monsters.

Where to get it: No idea

Whoracle
2008-06-11, 08:09 AM
Background: Not to be spoiled here, but if you like to DM it, PM me and I'll tell you the gist of it.

Where To Get:
First Edition Rulebook (not recommended) (http://cgi.ebay.com/KULT-HORROR-RPG_W0QQitemZ270244209986QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2546QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Legions Of Darkness Sourcebook (http://cgi.ebay.com/KULT-Legions-of-Darkness-NEW-HORROR-RPG_W0QQitemZ280235008279QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2546QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Second Edition Rulebook. Sadly, in German... (http://cgi.ebay.de/KULT-Dark-Fantasy-Rollenspiel-Splatterpunk_W0QQitemZ120269750055QQihZ002QQcatego ryZ13280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

eBay is quite possibly the ONLY means of aquiring the Rulebooks. It took me 6 years to get them all, so be prepared for a looong wait.

EvilElitest
2008-06-11, 08:07 PM
isn't their a kult video game? Maybe i heard wrong
from
EE

Khanderas
2008-06-12, 02:47 AM
from
EE
Could be that also, but in my mind Kult is the pen&paper RPG that is a mix of demons and the matrix. With shadowrun elements sprinkled on.

Prustan
2008-06-12, 05:26 AM
from
EE

Yes, there is. The one I watched my brother play was on the Amiga back in the day, and it was rather hard. Don't remember much more than that unfortunately - been too long since I thought about it. I think it was a First Person RPG, which meant travelling in squares and 90 degree turns, but I'm not sure.