PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions please

Kristoss
2008-04-27, 01:36 AM
This feat was requested by a player in one of my games it seems reasonable to me.

Finesse Fighting [General]
Flavor text. You utilise a combat technique that emphasises accurate and quick strikes rather then hefty blows.
Prerequisites:Weapon finesse, base attack bonus +1.
Benefits: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may replace your strength bonus with your dexterity bonus on damage rolls.
Normal: You cannot normally use your dexterity bonus on damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may take finesse fighting as one of his bonus feats. If you have a strength penalty you must stack your strength modifier with your dexterity modifier.

This feat is of my own design.

Combat Prowess [General]
Flavor text. You can efficiently make exceptionally powerful attacks while using your martial abilities for defence.
Prerequisites:Power attack, Combat expertise, Str 13, Int 13.
Benefits: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add two thirds that number to all melee damage rolls ant to AC. The bonus to your AC is a dodge bonus. The penalty to attack may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks, bonus on damage and AC apply until your next turn.
Special: Any circumstance or ability that increases the damage bonus from power attack (wielding a two-handed weapon for example) also applies to this feat.
A fighter may select Combat Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

What i'm most concerned about is if these feats are balanced.
Thanks in advance for your constructive criticisms.

Vaynor
2008-04-27, 02:28 AM
This feat was requested by a player in one of my games it seems reasonable to me.

Finesse Fighting [General]
Flavor text. You utilise a combat technique that emphasises accurate and quick strikes rather then hefty blows.
Prerequisites:Weapon finesse, base attack bonus +1.
Benefits: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may replace your strength bonus with your dexterity bonus on damage rolls.
Normal: You cannot normally use your dexterity bonus on damage rolls.
Special: A fighter may take finesse fighting as one of his bonus feats. If you have a strength penalty you must stack your strength modifier with your dexterity modifier.

This feat is of my own design.

Combat Prowess [General]
Flavor text. You can efficiently make exceptionally powerful attacks while using your martial abilities for defence.
Prerequisites:Power attack, Combat expertise, Str 13, Int 13.
Benefits: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add two thirds that number to all melee damage rolls ant to AC. The bonus to your AC is a dodge bonus. The penalty to attack may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks, bonus on damage and AC apply until your next turn.
Special: Any circumstance or ability that increases the damage bonus from power attack (wielding a two-handed weapon for example) also applies to this feat.
A fighter may select Combat Prowess as one of his fighter bonus feats.

What i'm most concerned about is if these feats are balanced.
Thanks in advance for your constructive criticisms.

Second one is overpowered.

Kristoss
2008-04-27, 02:45 AM
Second one is overpowered.

Can you give a reason please?

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-27, 02:52 AM
The second one gives a pretty nice return at high levels. My major issue with it is more that it's confusing and weird.

Ettanin
2008-04-27, 03:44 AM
yes, the second one would give a too high amount of AC on epic levels.
For example:
Attack Bonus +30
Armor Class 40
CLv 25
Pure fighter

Subtract 9 Attack bonus and add 6 AC
AB 21
AC 46
CLv 25

AC 46 is pretty high for CLv 25...

Even worse, because there's no limit:
Forfeit ALL the AB:
AB 0
AC 60

Wow, that's a tank...

Kristoss
2008-04-27, 06:09 AM
yes, the second one would give a too high amount of AC on epic levels.
For example:
Attack Bonus +30
Armor Class 40
CLv 25
Pure fighter

Subtract 9 Attack bonus and add 6 AC
AB 21
AC 46
CLv 25

AC 46 is pretty high for CLv 25...

Even worse, because there's no limit:
Forfeit ALL the AB:
AB 0
AC 60

Wow, that's a tank...

So I take it you think Improved expertise is a bit strong or is it just that the AC bonus is being coupled with a damage bonus.

Triaxx
2008-04-27, 08:48 AM
The problem isn't Improved Expertise, it's that Power Attack and Combat Expertise both sacrifice the same stat to increase damage and defense accordingly. But you can only increase one at a time.

Combat prowess as you've written, does both.

So if I have a BAB of 30, with Power Attack and Combat Expertise, I can drop fifteen points of BAB for PA, and fifteen with CE and get +15 damage, and +15 AC.

For the same effect, dropping 30 points nets me +20 damage, and +20 AC. Bigger return for the same investment. It might not be nearly as much of a problem, except that a human fighter can take all three feats at level 1. Consider a minimum level of 9.

Kristoss
2008-04-27, 09:42 AM
Maybe add a requirement of BAB +9 and reduce the AC bonus to half the penalty.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-27, 02:21 PM
perhaps if you just put a maximum amount of attack bonus you can give up, it might work