PDA

View Full Version : Cross Posting

Silent Hunter
2008-04-27, 10:55 AM
I don't know if this has been raised before...

I've had a number of cases where I've made a GM post and someone was writing theirs as I posted it, resulting in their post being late and the need for an edit.

I've seen other sites with a feature warning you of new posts made while writing. Could this be added?

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-27, 01:29 PM
Yes, it should be added. And no, it probably won't be added.

I draw this conclusion because this ninjaing has been an issue for a long time now, and nothing has been done about it yet. Therefore it is probably either too much trouble or impossible to execute.

crimson77
2008-04-27, 01:47 PM
I don't know if this has been raised before...

I've had a number of cases where I've made a GM post and someone was writing theirs as I posted it, resulting in their post being late and the need for an edit.

I've seen other sites with a feature warning you of new posts made while writing. Could this be added?

Also, think about the amount of bandwidth that would be taken up by the program refreshing the webpage as you post. We already have bandwidth problems here, I for one would rather not take up any more bandwidth and just deal with the ninjaing.

EmeraldRose
2008-04-27, 08:33 PM
Have you considered making a "no more posts" post, as you prepare your final post? That way you won't have to worry about ninja'd posts, you can simply exclude all those made after your warning post.

Voshkod
2008-04-27, 08:53 PM
I think - but I haven't tested it - if you hit post preview you'll see any new posts.

Ego Slayer
2008-04-27, 09:01 PM
I think - but I haven't tested it - if you hit post preview you'll see any new posts.
This is correct.

Silent Hunter
2008-04-28, 05:55 AM
This is correct.

Thanks. I'll do that in future.

NerfTW
2008-04-28, 08:55 AM
Have you considered making a "no more posts" post, as you prepare your final post? That way you won't have to worry about ninja'd posts, you can simply exclude all those made after your warning post.

This makes more sense. A quick "no more posts", post it, then go back and edit it. This way, any posts made after that point are going to show up under yours.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-28, 10:02 AM
This makes more sense. A quick "no more posts", post it, then go back and edit it. This way, any posts made after that point are going to show up under yours.
If I were to see something like that, I would be… terribly annoyed.

crimson77
2008-04-29, 09:30 AM

I think it depends on where you find one doing this. If I would be annoyed if i found someone doing this in the friendly banter section. However, it is common practice in my pbp game. However, it has more to do with interpreting dice rolls than not wanting a person to post.

NerfTW
2008-04-29, 10:24 AM

In a game, where the GM has to make a decision, which could render your post useless? I don't think it's annoying at all. Or you could just say "GM decision incoming". Just something to let people know that they might want to hold off on thier post for a few minutes, lest the situation change dramatically.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-29, 10:29 AM
In a game, where the GM has to make a decision, which could render your post useless?
Meh.

I lost track that this thread was pretty well-focused on in-game posts.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-04-29, 12:38 PM
Meh.

I lost track that this thread was pretty well-focused on in-game posts.

I for one would find it very charming if regular threads were interrupted with messages such as:

CEASE!!

All your post are belong to me!

:smallamused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-29, 01:13 PM
Someone set us up the disintegrate ray.