PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a minimum ability score to use SLAs?

Frosty
2008-04-27, 01:08 PM
I'm the d20 SRd I'm reading, there is no mention of whether one needs to have a minimum casting stat to use a SLA. Is that true, or does one still need to have the minimum score like a 13 Intelligence to cast Displacement as a SLA for example? And speaking of which, which stat would be used if there is a requirement?

On a side note: If I have Arcane Disciple feat, but have very low wisdom, that means I have access to the spells but I can't cast them. If I take the Archmage prc, can I turn a spell gained from Arcane Disciple into a SLA even if I don't have the required Wisdom? If so, can I use the SLA without the required Wisdom?

Kurald Galain
2008-04-27, 01:23 PM
I'm the d20 SRd I'm reading, there is no mention of whether one needs to have a minimum casting stat to use a SLA.
That's because using a SLA isn't "casting" anything, and in most cases no minimum ability score is needed. In general, the source where you get the SLA from will tell you what, if any, the prerequisites are.

On a side note: If I have Arcane Disciple feat, but have very low wisdom, that means I have access to the spells but I can't cast them.
Technically yes, assuming you have the requisite intelligence (because according to the Wizard class, you still need that in order to learn any spell).

However, this loophole clearly contravenes the intent of the rules, so I wouldn't bet on your DM actually allowing it.

Starbuck_II
2008-04-27, 03:05 PM
I'm the d20 SRd I'm reading, there is no mention of whether one needs to have a minimum casting stat to use a SLA. Is that true, or does one still need to have the minimum score like a 13 Intelligence to cast Displacement as a SLA for example? And speaking of which, which stat would be used if there is a requirement?

Only certain racial SLAs have minimum casting stats: Gnomes do.

Classed based usually do not: Warlock SLA invocations do not.

leperkhaun
2008-04-27, 03:14 PM
its important to remember that even though there really isnt a minimum score to cast them.....alot of them still use a stat to for things like saving throws.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-27, 03:25 PM

Not by my reading. While SLA's work like spells for everything not specified under the entry, the minimum spellcasting stat for a particular level of spell comes not from the spell type entry, but from the "spells" entry for the class that provides spell access.

nargbop
2008-04-27, 06:13 PM
SLAs usually put an ability as the basis for saving throws (usually CHA). You should have a significant score in that ability, or people will consistently make the saves against those spells.

Frosty
2008-04-27, 07:55 PM
My CHA will probably suck, but I can pick SLAs without saves.

KillianHawkeye
2008-04-28, 01:54 AM
On a side note: If I have Arcane Disciple feat, but have very low wisdom, that means I have access to the spells but I can't cast them. If I take the Archmage prc, can I turn a spell gained from Arcane Disciple into a SLA even if I don't have the required Wisdom? If so, can I use the SLA without the required Wisdom?

Arcane Disciple lets you learn those spells as arcane spells. So you use whatever casting stat you already use for your other arcane spells.

Frosty
2008-04-28, 02:00 AM
Arcane Disciple lets you learn those spells as arcane spells. So you use whatever casting stat you already use for your other arcane spells.

Uhh no. The feat specifically says you can't cast thos espells unless you have enough WISDOM.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-28, 06:57 AM
Uhh no. The feat specifically says you can't cast thos espells unless you have enough WISDOM.

Yes, and it also says to use wisdom for its saving throw DC, but it makes no restriction on learning the spell. Thus, to learn it, you'd need sufficient intelligence or charisma, respectively, which means that it's technically legal to make it an SLA with Archmage.

Frosty
2008-04-28, 09:26 AM
Yes, and it also says to use wisdom for its saving throw DC, but it makes no restriction on learning the spell. Thus, to learn it, you'd need sufficient intelligence or charisma, respectively, which means that it's technically legal to make it an SLA with Archmage.

Right. And I won't need Wisdom to use the SLA. I guess this is kind of exploitive, but...