PDA

View Full Version : Loom

Edan
2008-04-27, 04:30 PM
Anyone here remember Loom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loom_%28computer_game%29)?

It holds a special place in my heart as it was my first true video game, the first game I completed and I used to play it with my parents when I was too young to fully appreciate it for what it is.

Not only was it revolutionary in the fact that it had no inventory screen or required command interfaces through typing and verbs, everything revolved around music and it told one of the best fantasy stories in any game I have played since. Combined with its stunning MIDI rendition of Swan Lake, it just blew me out of the water, and still does, for being an 18 year old DOS graphic adventure, I think that deserves something. I still play it every now and again when I feel the need to relive the experience.

Did anyone else play this game? Any other cult followers of this game?

It really pained me to find out that sequels were planned, but never made.:smallfrown:

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-27, 06:05 PM
Huh, I actually just played it about a week ago. It was a good game. I do agree about the unfortinate lack of a sequel.

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-27, 06:12 PM
Huh, I actually just played it about a week ago. It was a good game. I do agree about the unfortinate lack of a sequel.

Iethloc
2008-04-27, 06:28 PM
I remember Loom. It's been a long time since I've played it, and only because my current soundcard is horrible and does NOT support Loom's music, which was one of my favorite parts of the game. I did find the soundtrack after a rigorous search on the internet, however.

I also loved the portraits in the game, and how they actually showed emotions.

And it really would have been awesome if they actually did make the sequels.

Mechsae
2008-04-27, 07:02 PM
I never played Loom, missed it completely back then.

I have however seen it played through on youtube (search for amiga long play & loom).

Curiously enough I was thinking about the game earler this morning while looking at these forums...

Tirian
2008-04-27, 10:05 PM
I never played Loom, missed it completely back then.

I have however seen it played through on youtube (search for amiga long play & loom).

It's not hard to find a copy online that you can download. (Of course, that would be wrong.) It would be kind of neat to see someone make a Flash version of the game, sort of like what Peasant's Quest did for the ancient Sierra games.

It is an absolutely stunning game, probably even more so today since the load times between scenes were pretty horrific back then. Unfortunately, it will always register in my mind as a disappointment, having been very expensive ($50 when other games were selling for $30), and very very VERY short and easy. As proud (smug?) as they are about the whole not dying and no playing find-the-synonym, the two parts where I always get stuck in the game involve playing find-the-pixel, which is no more fun.

endoperez
2008-04-28, 02:10 AM
I've played it through. It was nice, and I agree it'd be nice to have sequels.

I also like the Monkey Island 1 salesman who promotes LOOM. :smallbiggrin:

ufo
2008-04-28, 07:44 AM
I played it half a year ago. It was great. The bizarreness of the world intrigues me. What a shame theyn ever made the sequel :smallfrown:

Trazoi
2008-04-28, 08:09 PM
I liked Loom, although I was glad I got it as part of a Lucasfilm adventure game pack. It was a bit too short and easy for a full priced adventure game. I guess they were going for something a bit more newbie friendly, but I'd already played through my copy of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (also awesome) which was much longer and harder.

It was still good, especially all the Swan Lake music, and the usages of the weaving spells was innovative and led to some good puzzles, but I feel that Loom is a bit of a poorer cousin to LucasArts Monkey Island series and the Maniac Mansion series.