PDA

View Full Version : Comedy Campaigns

Grug
2008-04-27, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one who has run one?

Mine was affectionately dubbed "Atlas Land" and featured such characters as Lord Lordagain and John Jinglheimer: The incredible exploding man.

When I started, I didn't know what I was doing. About 2/3rds through the incredible silliness, I thought about it and realized that all of my various plots were actually all interconnected in a logical way. I actually yelled out "I'm a Genius!" when I realized.

Has anyone else run, or is planning on running a comedy? Share war stories and ask for advice.

Farmer42
2008-04-27, 05:12 PM
I once ran a circus campaign. For some more details, head over to the DM pranks thread for one story. There was also the time we discovered that the beguiler tended towards the more evil side of CN when he made the unconscious barbarian in the middle of the road invisible. This follows the story of the barbarian starting a fight and preventing the bards from getting laid. After getting kicked out, the gnome beguiler stumbled across his body, and invisibled it. A few seconds later, a carriage rolled over the body. Shortly thereafter some guards came by, and seeing the now visible body, asked the gnome what had happened. Ironically, the gnome had to make abluff check to convince them that the barbarian had started the still occurring brawl, since he didn't know that.

Revanmal
2008-04-27, 06:23 PM
It's amazing what can happen in 30 minutes when you put 4 gnomes in the middle of one city with a large bag of various overpowered magical items and one scroll that inflicts them all with a customized haste spell, along with a minor insanity effect meant to emulate a sugar high.

Don't ask me why, don't ask me how, but by the time it was over several city blocks had been leveled entirely, and three more had seemingly disappeared.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-27, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure how much this qualifies, but...
I was planning on running a campaign that is basically a big, cheap compelation of various high quality RPGs, and laughing hysterically as the events that grow in obviousness continue to stun the PCs.

Okay, that doesn't count, but it's funny for me...

Malnourished
2008-04-27, 06:28 PM
I'm currently trying to write an adventure involving a demonic easter bunny, converting townsfolk into chocolate treats (halflings and children would be "fun size"). For whatever reason he speaks with a lisp.

I remember reading a story once about a dungeon crawl that was filled with pun-type encounters. Final encounter was a room with coloured lights, spinning mirror ball, and a black dragon in a white leisure suit: the Disco Dragon.

Roderick_BR
2008-04-27, 08:23 PM
Many of my serious campaigns got so goofy because of players an DM's alike goofing off, that the DMs just throw the seriousness trough the windows and start to make stuff up. I have a friend that is astounding both in serious and humorous campaigns, and his expressions and quotes, specially with a straight face, always makes people laugh.

Farmer42
2008-04-27, 09:00 PM
I'm currently trying to write an adventure involving a demonic easter bunny, converting townsfolk into chocolate treats (halflings and children would be "fun size"). For whatever reason he speaks with a lisp.

I remember reading a story once about a dungeon crawl that was filled with pun-type encounters. Final encounter was a room with coloured lights, spinning mirror ball, and a black dragon in a white leisure suit: the Disco Dragon.

Might I be so bold as to recommend this (http://www.amazon.com/Hollow-Chocolate-Bunnies-Apocalypse-Gollancz/dp/0575074019)book for inspiration? It isn't quite what you're going for, but it's still a great read, complete with chocolate bunnies.

You know what? Anyone interested in a funny campaign might want to read it. It's fun and funny, and a great look at fairy tales. Go out, buy it, and read it. Then be happy.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-27, 11:35 PM
Paraphrasing from the original, ongoing Sigil Prep (http://www.sigilprep.com/) campaign:

S'kkip looks at the two halves of the amulet carefully. "Interesting. I wonder, do all identical twins separated at a young age have things like these?"

"I wouldn't know. It seems likely, however. Hey, I bet if you connect them, something cool will happen."

After a moment, Biklik adds, "That means you should connect them. Do it now."

S'kkip connects the two pieces, and gleaming light shoots out. Momentarily, an illusory image of a Drow woman appears. "S'kkip, Dirkk', I see that you have found one another. I know that you have questions: Why were you separated from one another? Why were you abandoned? Was there a reason, a greater destiny? And the answer is simply this: I didn't like either of you. Hope that helps. Bye."

And the image disappears.

"You're mother's a real bitch, isn't she?"

Dispater hastily draws a map and hands it to Xiz. "UNFORTUNATELY, SINCE YOU DREW A CARD OF DESTINY WHICH REQUIRES YOUR IMPRISONMENT, AND IT IS IN MY DUNGEON YOU WERE IMPRISONED, I CAN'T LET YOU GO." He eyes Mammon carefully. "SO, MAMMON, WATCH THE ILLITHID WHILE I GO GET YOUR LEMURES." He walks out of the room.

Mammon hums, and twiddles his thumbs. Time passes. He whistles. More time. "OH I CAN'T STAND IT! I LIVE TO BETRAY DISPATER!" He opens the cage.

Ascension
2008-04-28, 01:52 AM
I participated in a (short lived) campaign one time whose ultimate goal was to stop the vicious Tea-Time-Interrupting Dragon, an evil beast who liked to interrupt villagers' tea times for fun.

The same DM was also responsible (in a campaign I wasn't participating in) for the "laughing bow," which basically weaponized smiley faces.

Also, though it's intended to be a semi-serious campaign, my current DM has a running joke going about naming important NPCs after various brand name medicines... General Lipitor, commander of the elven armies; the evil Derro mage Crestor, etc. And the CN dwarf in that campaign is a constant source of the sort of amusement that only a CN character with low INT, WIS, and CHA can bring you. Oh, and he gave me a rod of wonder.

Come to think of it, maybe that one is a joke campaign.