PDA

View Full Version : Venom Monk?

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-27, 07:47 PM
Now, at level eleven, monks become immune to all poisons... Does this mean we can have them roll around in contact poison, then go flurry a Con damaging poison all over an opponent with touch attacks (since it's a touch attack to get an opponent with contact poison)? That might actually result in the monk accomplishing something (expensive, but useful for "going Nova")

And hey, if not, you can still grapple the suckers and laugh at their situation.

Also, what are the most cost effective contact poisons for each stat around level 10? That could effect the validity of the idea.

One last question: Would it be allowed to annoint your left knuckles with one poison, right with another, and then knees/forehead with a third, allowing you to pick your poison with an unarmed strike?

I know most of these are stupid, stupid questions. But it seems like a fun idea to try out.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 07:50 PM
The person is playing a monk, of course I would allow it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-27, 07:51 PM
Poisons are usually useless. The DCs don't scale well, so you are usually better off using Drow Knockout Poison and just hoping for a nat 1 than spending 1,500 for a DC 20.

Nebo_
2008-04-27, 07:53 PM
The person is playing a monk, of course I would allow it.

Oh snap! Monks suck, poisons suck. I say go for it, nothing overpowered about that at all.

dman11235
2008-04-27, 07:59 PM
Ignoring the fact that you are being exposed to the poison and thus making it useless, go for it.

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-27, 08:04 PM
Bummer. I was hoping that by using monks and poisons together, I could do a sort of maneuver where I went so far into the sucky spectrum that I came out on the other side. :smalltongue:

Still, it does make Monks a little less sucky, and fits their supposed role of Debuffers.

BRC
2008-04-27, 08:07 PM
Bummer. I was hoping that by using monks and poisons together, I could do a sort of maneuver where I went so far into the sucky spectrum that I came out on the other side. :smalltongue:

Still, it does make Monks a little less sucky, and fits their supposed role of Debuffers.
We need a Contact-posion coated monk that hugs their enemies build STAT.

dman11235
2008-04-27, 08:10 PM
Cover yourself in plastic wrap, and then have someone dribble contact poison over you. But still you have a 5% chance of poisoning yourself and ruining the dose. How, I don't know, but you do.

Zocelot
2008-04-27, 08:25 PM
I believe that coating your body in poison is not necessarily exposing yourself to the poison, if you treat your body as a weapon. Take a level in Assassin, and nullify the risk of exposing yourself.

Paul H
2008-04-27, 08:37 PM
Hi

Any creatures have a natural poison? Thinking of Master of Many Forms PrC.

Cheers
Paul H

Glyphic
2008-04-27, 08:37 PM
No no no. Tie this into my favorite monk build.

Apply animal fats, blood, and hunks of raw meat to a monk, and then slightly braise him. The aroma should be enough to attract the attention of many things you're trying to kill.

Adding in the poison, we can have the monk be very potent against anything that is hungry.

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-27, 08:46 PM
One could always grease their knuckles/any region they apply poisons so as to make it less likely to seep into their skin.

Of course, Snuggles the Poisonous Teddy Bear would have issues with Undead, Constructs, Plants, Elementals, and Oozes. (not to mention the occasional outsider.) Is there any way to remedy that? Doubtful. But hey, I'm sure that the Monk has other tricks against them... Right? No? *sigh*

Reel On, Love
2008-04-27, 08:49 PM
Poisons are usually useless. The DCs don't scale well, so you are usually better off using Drow Knockout Poison and just hoping for a nat 1 than spending 1,500 for a DC 20.

Ah, but a monk can afford as much poison as he wants with all the money he's saving by not taking UMD and buying tons of wands throughout his career. :P

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-27, 08:51 PM
Wait, that's true. A monk treats their unarmed strikes as weapons. Assassin nullifies the chance of poisoning yourself when applying poison to your weapon. So a monk 1/rogue 8/assassin 10 can spread poison all over their body, and not get poisoned!

Xyk
2008-04-27, 09:24 PM
There was a similar idea floating around in my head. Simply ingest large amounts of contact poison and have it come out your pores forever, mixing with your bloodstream. I'm sure science has someway for you to sweat different liquids. just make them contact poisons.

RTGoodman
2008-04-27, 09:29 PM
Of course, Snuggles the Poisonous Teddy Bear would have issues with Undead, Constructs, Plants, Elementals, and Oozes. (not to mention the occasional outsider.) Is there any way to remedy that? Doubtful. But hey, I'm sure that the Monk has other tricks against them... Right? No? *sigh*

Well, if you coat part of yourself with contact poison, and the rest of yourself with those "good poisons" from BoED you should be able to catch more critters in your plan.

Also, if you can craft the poisons yourself, you should be able to pick up those feats in Complete... Scoundrel(I think?) that up the DCs of poisons you make. That adds a little bit to the build, I guess.

Stycotl
2008-04-27, 09:34 PM
yes, they are called assamites. which would be a kick-ass prc.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-27, 09:37 PM
Touch of Golden Ice feat (BoED) allows ya to *poison* evil creatures you attack. DC is very low but dex damage is quite neat.