PDA

View Full Version : grid paper

Jayngfet
2008-04-27, 08:37 PM
tracing out the grid repeatedly is a real pain, anyone know of store's that sell pre gridded large paper?

Gralamin
2008-04-27, 08:41 PM
tracing out the grid repeatedly is a real pain, anyone know of store's that sell pre gridded large paper?

A simple suggestion, but buy a pad of grid paper, and simply tape sheets together.

tyckspoon
2008-04-27, 08:46 PM
Education supply stores and art stores should have that kind of thing. I can't guarantee it'll be at all worth buying, tho; dedicated art stores in particular tend to have high prices.

RTGoodman
2008-04-27, 09:08 PM
Office supply and craft stores often sell poster-paper that's already gridded out in 1" squares. The squares are usually super-light (since they're technically just so you can line up lettering and stuff), but if you grab a Sharpie or other thick marker you can trace the line and then take the thing back to Staples or wherever and they'll laminate the whole thing for super-cheap. Then just buy wet-erase markers and you're golden.

Jastermereel
2008-04-28, 12:02 PM
That's similar to what my group is doing. We had a bunch of spare transparencies and so, after taping some custom graph paper (we use 3/4", don't ask) to the table, we attached the transparencies. Admittedly, it means the DM's dining room table doesn't really get to be used for much else during the week, so I rather like the other idea, but perhaps done on cardstock (or something even thicker) as a base.

valadil
2008-04-28, 03:05 PM
OfficeMax or Staples should have it. My first 3.0 group used a plexiglass sheet with lines drawn in permanent marker. We could use that by itself or put predrawn maps under it.

Allis
2008-04-29, 02:22 AM
My table has squares, about 2,5x2,5. Some guy back in the 60's must have had some divination spell or special insight to create an oak table with custom made inlaid squares. The table itself is an octagon, and big enough for any battle. I bought it for allmost nothing, it would convert to 7 dollars I guess.

So I go to the supermarket and get flower wrapping cellophane for free. (it's a place where you normally wrap your own plants in gift wrapping stuff.) I tape it to the table, draw a map on it with whiteboard markers and we're good to go.

I might want to go out and get a pane of glass somewhere, so I don't have to waste the wrapping paper...

How do you guys/girls do aerial combat on a grid? Tie mini's to the ceiling?

Samakain
2008-04-29, 06:59 AM
we use a whiteboard, unmounted and gridded up in a dark grey, using a substance which i know nothing of. DM draws up maps as we go, we keep a smaller map on grid paper for full dungeon maps :)

Darth Mario
2008-04-29, 07:34 AM
I use and recommend these: http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_MegamatsReversible.htm

valadil
2008-04-29, 09:07 AM

We play on a normal grid. Each flying character gets a d12 (since they're the least popular) next to their mini. The d12 keeps track of elevation in 10' units. It's not the best, but it works without much extra effort.

RTGoodman
2008-04-29, 09:29 AM

It doesn't come up much in my groups, but when it does we just sort of wing it.

(Pun completely intended :smallbiggrin:)

happyturtle
2008-04-29, 09:48 AM
I keep meaning to bring Blue Tak to the next session to make little stands for the flying guys. Up till now, we just stand then on top of a die.

Allis
2008-04-29, 10:24 AM
That's what we do, have the miniatures stand on top of dice. Or beercans...Sometimes, if it get's really comical, the characters mini (or eraser, or whatever is used that day) gets swooped vigorously through the air, chased by a beercan representing the dragon or other creature we are fighting. Sometimes.