PDA

View Full Version : Returning Sword?

Surudoi
2008-04-27, 10:38 PM
I am currently in a campaign in which my character lives by his sword and does not use another weapon. So i was wondering if there was an enchantment that i could put on this sword so that it would return to him if he threw it. Any one know anything?

tyckspoon
2008-04-27, 10:39 PM
Er, yes. Returning. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#returning)

Surudoi
2008-04-27, 10:40 PM
lol, i guess i didn't look hard enough, Thanks

RTGoodman
2008-04-27, 10:45 PM
Returning, as tyckspoon mentioned, works, or you could try the teleporting ability, from Expanded Psionics Handbook. It can also be found here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicItemsAW.html), at the very bottom of the page.

Teleporting: This ability can be imbedded only in weapons that can be thrown. A teleporting weapon returns through the Astral Plane to the creature that threw it. It teleports into the throwing creature’s empty hand in the round following the round when it was thrown, just before that creature’s turn. It is therefore ready to use again on that turn.
Faint psychoportation; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, psionic dimension door; Price +1 bonus.

It's probably better, since returning forces you to stay in one place, while teleporting makes the weapon come back to you no matter where you moved.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-27, 10:46 PM
Technically, I think you have to put Throwing on it first to make it a ranged weapon. You should do that if you're going to throw it anyway.

holywhippet
2008-04-27, 10:46 PM
Will that actually work though? The description says it only works for weapons that can be thrown. Pretty much any weapon can be thrown, but most incur a penalty because they aren't designed to be thrown.

dman11235
2008-04-27, 10:47 PM
Do note that it needs to be a thrown weapon first. I know you can technically throw anything as a weapon, but it's referring to thrown weapons, the type. So you'll need throwing on it first. However it's been my dream for a long time to play a Master Thrower who uses scythes. Yeah, you heard me, scythes. Or falchions. 19-20x5 or 15-20x3, one or the other.

EDIT: Curse the ninja!

RTGoodman
2008-04-27, 10:48 PM
Technically, I think you have to put Throwing on it first to make it a ranged weapon. You should do that if you're going to throw it anyway.

Yeah, I sort of assumed he was going to go for throwing and returning/teleporting..

EDIT:

Do note that it needs to be a thrown weapon first. I know you can technically throw anything as a weapon, but it's referring to thrown weapons, the type. So you'll need throwing on it first. However it's been my dream for a long time to play a Master Thrower who uses scythes. Yeah, you heard me, scythes. Or falchions. 19-20x5 or 15-20x3, one or the other.

Master Thrower? Psh. Go with Bloodstorm Blade from ToB instead. It gets much cooler throwing-related abilities (i.e., full attack with throws, PA with thrown weapons, etc.).

Hawriel
2008-04-27, 10:52 PM
Well even if the returning ability requires the weapon to be a thrown weapon, its not game braking to ingore that. DM's Ok is all thats needed. Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.

dman11235
2008-04-27, 10:54 PM
Who says I'm not doing that too? I just want Master Thrower for the free Imp Crit and the crit multiplier thing. x5 crit multipliers are fun. Same with 15-20x3. And if I really want to take pw attack for thrown weapons, a feat does that. Master Throwers are fun. Also, Disciple of Darkness (or whatever) from BoVD(?) that increases the threat range more. And Psychic Weapon Master for a further enhancement...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-27, 10:55 PM
Well even if the returning ability requires the weapon to be a thrown weapon, its not game braking to ingore that. DM's Ok is all thats needed. Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.Magic Item Compendium has that already. It's flavorful, though I'd really only look at it for a social Rogue or Bard.

At the OP:
Have you checked out the Bloodstorm Blade PrC? It's probably a good boost for your power, and gets Returning weapons as a class feature.

Naleh
2008-04-27, 11:00 PM
Well even if the returning ability requires the weapon to be a thrown weapon, its not game braking to ingore that. DM's Ok is all thats needed. Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.

Well, by RAW you could put spikes on the armour, echant the spikes as Throwing, and then it qualifies for Returning. But that'd just bring the armour back to you after you threw it.

Heh. Thrown armour.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-27, 11:00 PM

Behold, Captain America!

...Wow, now that I think about it, Captain America had a really lame power. Seriously, generic "super fighting" abilities and a shield that he throws at people? Seriously, that guy got by on sheer patriotism alone.

Alright, back on topic now:
I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could craft a suit of armor with the returning property. In which case you'd have a suit of armor that you could throw at people, and it would fly back into your hand. No command words, since the property only activates when the weapon is thrown, and no instant donning, since the property only gets it back to your square (you have to catch it yourself as a free action).

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-27, 11:03 PM
Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.Called Armor, Magic Item Compenium, +2000 gp enchantment. A really good deal, both for social types and full-plate wearers.

Solo
2008-04-27, 11:04 PM
If you toss Backbiter on it, it's sure to come back for you.

RTGoodman
2008-04-27, 11:04 PM
Who says I'm not doing that too? I just want Master Thrower for the free Imp Crit and the crit multiplier thing. x5 crit multipliers are fun. Same with 15-20x3. And if I really want to take pw attack for thrown weapons, a feat does that. Master Throwers are fun. Also, Disciple of Darkness (or whatever) from BoVD(?) that increases the threat range more. And Psychic Weapon Master for a further enhancement...

Huh... I guess I never really looked at Master Thrower. I thought it was one of those Rogue-type feinting/throwing PrCs. They do get some pretty cool stuff, now that I look at it. One questions, though - it requires you to have Weapon Focus (any thrown weapon), but does throwing actually make the weapon a thrown weapon? I mean, it gives it a range increment and whatnot, but is that all that's required to be a "thrown weapon?" I mean, it makes sense, but I'm not sure about it.

dman11235
2008-04-27, 11:05 PM
I believe it does, and the Throw Anything feat (CW and ToB) will let anything count.

EDIT: I really want to play the scythe thrower now.

tyckspoon
2008-04-27, 11:19 PM
EDIT: I really want to play the scythe thrower now.

"I am become death, destroyer Dracula's Cohort."

evisiron
2008-04-27, 11:23 PM

You will get a couple of fun encounters from this before all you see are plants, undead, oozes and constructs...

Still, the mental image alone is worth the attempt :smallbiggrin:

Farmer42
2008-04-27, 11:34 PM
buy a bunch of crystals? That should eliminate the problem of no crits.

Chronos
2008-04-28, 12:11 AM
I made a Bloodstorm Blade scythe-thrower for one of Duke of URL's gestalt contests... It does indeed make for a nice mental image.

It being a Gestalt character, I was also able to fit in Arcane Duelist, for yet more criticality.

Khanderas
2008-04-28, 02:22 AM
...Hmm I wonder of you can mod the returning ability for armor. Say the command word and pop your fully armored.
Gizmo duck from DuckTales ?

dman11235
2008-04-28, 09:04 AM
Was there dual PrC advancement allowed Chronos?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-28, 09:06 AM
Gizmo duck from DuckTales ?Okay, you got me. My paladin's called armor's command word is "blatherskite". Effing gnome artificers...

AmberVael
2008-04-28, 09:09 AM
Well, by RAW you could put spikes on the armour, echant the spikes as Throwing, and then it qualifies for Returning. But that'd just bring the armour back to you after you threw it.

Heh. Thrown armour.

That's hilariously awesome. I have to see a villain who shoots his breastplate at people now.

RTGoodman
2008-04-28, 09:20 AM
That's hilariously awesome. I have to see a villain who shoots his breastplate at people now.

Or better yet, just have a Warforged. There's got to be an armor spikes Warforged Component out there somewhere. Just enchant the spikes with throwing and returning, and make a full attack to "shoot them" at people! Then at the end of the battle, just pick them back up and reattach them. It's like you're firing miniature non-exploding missiles!

AmberVael
2008-04-28, 09:37 AM
Or better yet, just have a Warforged. There's got to be an armor spikes Warforged Component out there somewhere. Just enchant the spikes with throwing and returning, and make a full attack to "shoot them" at people! Then at the end of the battle, just pick them back up and reattach them. It's like you're firing miniature non-exploding missiles!

Now I'm picturing a Mecha with a little shoulder missile mount. :smalltongue:
That would be so hilariously awesome. Wow... you know what? I'm going to start listing these ideas.

nargbop
2008-04-28, 10:23 AM
It shoots guns, which shoot knives, which have grenades on them! Those of you who have seen "Baccano!" know what I mean when everyone in the room says "Holy bleep, it's a knife with a bomb on it!"