PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #552 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-04-27, 11:30 PM
New comic is up.

ThePhantom
2008-04-27, 11:31 PM
Nice that these orc want to fix the way they talk. Go Elan! Your'e useful, your'e useful!:smallbiggrin:

Bitzeralisis
2008-04-27, 11:34 PM
Elan's illusions: they may seem useless at first, but they always turn out stupendous!

silvadel
2008-04-27, 11:35 PM
Its interesting how sometimes dumb + dumb = bright. Unless elan has leveled his summon plot device skill ....

Askenada
2008-04-27, 11:36 PM
The illusion actually worked. That was great.

Winged One
2008-04-27, 11:37 PM
:biggrin: Being able to make someone unable to move because they're laughing so hard is a rare gift, Giant.

Rogue 7
2008-04-27, 11:39 PM
I absolutely loved the grammar bit at the end. This is the single greatest source of Lampshade Hanging jokes anywhere.

Lerky
2008-04-27, 11:41 PM
lerky think rich mans latest strip is funny
:smallamused:

kreszantas
2008-04-27, 11:42 PM
Crongs... heart not in chase anyways... got to love low will saves!

DrivinAllNight
2008-04-27, 11:44 PM
gotta love the elan factor in everything :)

lemonhoney
XD At least Elan's learning some new illusions rather than the Puppies and the female versions of htings...

FujinAkari
:thog: Thog already learn Capitol Letters! This why Thog only half-orc!

Arqane
2008-04-27, 11:46 PM
That's why illusions always ruled.

If you came up with a good idea for an illusion, you could do anything you wanted.

If you came up with a bad idea, it still ends up being as good as casting a fireball at that level.

Love the grammar bit, too.

Yendor
2008-04-27, 11:49 PM
Elan saves the day! Without really trying! Hooray!

Lauren
2008-04-27, 11:52 PM
I'm glad the turtle got away. The grammar bit made me cackle like a loon.

The Wanderer
"gok look forward to first person pronouns..." LOL.

I think we've just discovered the 2nd Level Dashing Swordsman class ability- Greater Dumb Luck. Kicks in once per day to turn a bad idea into a party-saving idea. Makes sense with Elan, IMHO.

First page posting, too! :smallsmile:

Keep up the good work, Rich... and is it just me, or does it seem highly likely that
:vaarsuvius: might be the hostage mentioned?

Bwahaha. Great Dumb Luck is indeed at the heart of both Elan and the average Dashing Swordsman's chances. Might as well make it a class ability.

Although it's possible, I doubt the bit about V, though... can't see V allowing himself to be taken hostage, especially not when he has shown a skill for using both the Expeditious Retreat spell and Invisibility to get out of a tight spot. I think it's more likely to be Kazumi.

Lord_Drayakir
Hmm. I have this slight feeling that Thog's father/mother might come from this island.

Yeah, get this- Thog's mother was from this island; and the father is none other than Julio Scoundrel. :cool:

Rygar
2008-04-27, 11:53 PM
Elan's illusions actually working make me smile.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-27, 11:57 PM
It worked! Amazing!
<3 this comic

The Wanderer
2008-04-27, 11:58 PM
Hmm. I have this slight feeling that Thog's father/mother might come from this island.

Yeah, get this- Thog's mother was from this island; and the father is none other than Julio Scoundrel. :cool:

Oro!!!

http://x86.xanga.com/a1fb8a515743157562401/w38581710.jpg

I think you should move over to the House of Horros thread in Arts and Crafts... we could use some good suggestions there. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

CatShannon
2008-04-27, 11:58 PM
What is the deal with the "hostage" not "hostages" thing?

Ward.
2008-04-28, 12:00 AM
Ha, makes me wonder where hinjo's gone then...

Phase
2008-04-28, 12:04 AM
Awesome comic, Rich.

Makes it worth it that I can't sleep!

Lord_Drayakir
2008-04-28, 12:04 AM

The fact that there's a single hostage, instead of many?

Blanth
2008-04-28, 12:06 AM
I appreciated the last few panels of this strip!

Also, the "hostages" vs. "hostage" would indicate they've only got one person held back. Plural and singular!

This could be a very educational island! :-)

fractal
2008-04-28, 12:12 AM
So I'm guessing the orcs are taking Common lessons, and they're actually perfectly fluent in Orcish.

As far as the illusion working, given that the PCs have the ability to destroy the orcs at will, letting them settle peacefully instead is just good DMing.

CatShannon
2008-04-28, 12:15 AM
I appreciated the last few panels of this strip!

Also, the "hostages" vs. "hostage" would indicate they've only got one person held back. Plural and singular!

This could be a very educational island! :-)

Well, that's enlightening. What I meant to ask was if you guys could grasp some kind of meaning of Elan making this mistake.

factotum
2008-04-28, 12:16 AM
Elan...is there anything pure dumb luck can't solve? :smallsmile:

Although...what is he referring to in strip #1? They weren't running from anything or using Thor's Lighting, and the chainmail reference isn't until panel 3, after he mentions strip 1. I'm confused... :smallconfused:

Lira
2008-04-28, 12:17 AM
:D

I'm very happy I decided to stay up tonight. It was definitely worth it. This was one of the funniest strips for awhile.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-28, 12:17 AM
Elan's useful? What's the world coming to? :smalleek:

Penquin47
2008-04-28, 12:18 AM
Hostages v. Hostage?

We all asked where V was... but what about Kazumi? Might our beloved Formerly Unnamed Soldier be a corpse, since she didn't have her family name held in reserve?

Either that or Kazumi's a hostage because V fled like a wizard out of spells again...

Dark Wolf
2008-04-28, 12:20 AM
As someone who's occasionally caught his beard in his coat zipper, I feel for Durkon.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-04-28, 12:20 AM
Heh, good old Elan ending up useful in the most roundabout way possible. :smallbiggrin:

Anyone else finding that Daigo sounds exactly like Roy in this strip? It is uncanny.

Penquin47
2008-04-28, 12:21 AM
Here we go.

Therkla's one of the hostages.

Daigo knows that Therkla works for Kubota, while Elan thinks she's a friend. V is the other hostage, and Hinjo and Kazumi are safe on the ship.

The Wanderer
2008-04-28, 12:25 AM

Although...what is he referring to in strip #1? They weren't running from anything or using Thor's Lighting, and the chainmail reference isn't until panel 3, after he mentions strip 1. I'm confused... :smallconfused:

I assume he's referring to himself being annoyed by the strip start In Media Res, which he was talking about in the prior strip.

Remirach
2008-04-28, 12:25 AM

Elan's referring back to his "in medias res" remark from last strip. He doesn't mind starting in the middle of the action when things are going WELL for his group...

The last three panels of this are among the funniest ever. Bravo, Giant.

CatShannon
2008-04-28, 12:28 AM
Hostages v. Hostage?

We all asked where V was... but what about Kazumi? Might our beloved Formerly Unnamed Soldier be a corpse, since she didn't have her family name held in reserve?

Either that or Kazumi's a hostage because V fled like a wizard out of spells again...

Oh, I see. I guess V escaping and leaving Kazumi would explain Daigos face.

Chronos
2008-04-28, 12:41 AM
Here, I figured that the singular-plural ambiguity was because of Kazumi's pregnancy. Elan might be counting both Kazumi and the as-yet-unborn Kato baby, while Daigo is just counting Kazumi. Though that would probably make more sense the other way around, since there's no indication that Elan even knows.

dogmac
2008-04-28, 12:46 AM
Damn nerdy goblins.

Vrek
2008-04-28, 12:53 AM
My first thought was that the hostage would be Hinjo, who better to have on a diplomatic meeting, paladin class skills aside, he's still ruler of Azure City, but Chronos makes a good point, I waive myself to his thought process.

Also, we need to focus on the real issue here: The Major Image Orc Horde is surely O-Chul's holy paladin mount!

F.H. Zebedee
2008-04-28, 12:54 AM
Wow. I was a bit let down by the lack of humor last time, but this is some of the most tightly packed and well executed humor I've yet to see in a webcomic. Bravo, Giant!

Charles Phipps
2008-04-28, 12:56 AM
Elan's useful? What's the world coming to? :smalleek:

Well he's not Roy, he has to be able to do SOMETHING right.

David Argall
2008-04-28, 01:07 AM
Here, I figured that the singular-plural ambiguity was because of Kazumi's pregnancy. Elan might be counting both Kazumi and the as-yet-unborn Kato baby, while Daigo is just counting Kazumi. Though that would probably make more sense the other way around, since there's no indication that Elan even knows.

We have a much better candidate for singular/plural. Therkla.

As a half-orc, she would likely not be counted by Daigo, but Elan has seen her on the ship and would count her.

And maybe the diplomatic incident mentioned was Therkla failing an assassination attempt on Elan again, and getting the chief orc? Stay tuned.

H. Zee
2008-04-28, 01:17 AM
Haha. "It didn't seem to be bother me in Strip #1.." Nice. :smallcool:

Tass
2008-04-28, 01:27 AM

I agree.

Added because posts needs to be at least 10 letters :p

David Argall
2008-04-28, 01:38 AM
Our writer does not like to repeat gags. V has run away once. She will not do so again.
Moreover, we have a standard cliche that our coward get redemption by standing [and often dying] in the next big fight. So he is very unlikely to flee from this battle.

reorith
2008-04-28, 01:48 AM
i might have to reconsider the value of illusions in my game.

chionophile
2008-04-28, 01:50 AM
With regard to the whole hostage\hostages thing, in context, it looks like Daigo is objecting to Elan stopping Durkon from blasting them since they only have one hostage, so it's not a big deal if Durkon lets loose. Elan disagrees, saying that if Durkon zaps them, it's just going to be that much harder to negotiate for the hostage's release.

dish
2008-04-28, 01:52 AM
I'm glad the turtle managed to escape.

Now my question is: how are the orcs learning grammar? Do you think they're doing it by self-study and distance-learning, or do they have a teacher?

SoD
2008-04-28, 01:53 AM
I don't beleive it! At yesterdays session, I introduced an orc called Gok! And now he's in OOTS! Gok's famous!

jamroar
2008-04-28, 01:53 AM

The "in medias res" beginning to this arc (starting off in the thick of an exposition, than explaining how they got to that point as they go) like the fight in strip #1, which he was complaining about in the previous strip.

Lunaya
2008-04-28, 01:55 AM
*cuddles the turtle* Yay! You're safe!

I wonder if there used to be more than one hostage, but one or more was killed, leaving only one. :P

Tyrael
2008-04-28, 02:01 AM
Bwahaha. Great Dumb Luck is indeed at the heart of both Elan and the average Dashing Swordsman's chances. Might as well make it a class ability.

Great Dumb Luck
Luckily, I have a cunning plan! ~Elan
At 4th level, once per day as a swift action, a Dashing Swordsman can choose to add his class level as a luck bonus on all skill checks made, or a luck penalty on all enemy saves made for the duration of the current plot scene.

kierthos
2008-04-28, 02:07 AM
Just wait until they get to the pain the butt that is diagramming sentences.

AAAAAHHHH!! Diagramming sentences make orc head hurt! Smash puny grammar instructor! SMASH! (Sorry, that seems to be more Hulk then orc.)

Arkenputtyknife
2008-04-28, 02:17 AM
Now my question is: how are the orcs learning grammar? Do you think they're doing it by self-study and distance-learning, or do they have a teacher?
They're obviously not doing it on the Internet; their grammar is already far too good for that.

Felixaar
2008-04-28, 05:38 AM
So SOMEONE must know correct grammar on the island.

...uh...

Yeah, I got nothing.

hewhosaysfish
2008-04-28, 05:43 AM
With regard to the whole hostage\hostages thing, in context, it looks like Daigo is objecting to Elan stopping Durkon from blasting them since they only have one hostage, so it's not a big deal if Durkon lets loose.
That's what I thought too, which is why I had such a WTF momemt when people started suggesting that Kazumi might be the hostage. If she were, then Daigo would definitely not be cool with Durkon getting trigger-happy.

I also like the way Elan says "This is just a minor diplomatic setback, it happens all the time. Like ALL the time."
Make me think of poor Sir Francis. (or was it Francois, I forget?)

hajo
2008-04-28, 05:59 AM
As someone who's occasionally caught his beard in his coat zipper, I feel for Durkon.
Maybe he could get a 'hybrid' chainmail, with just one plate under his beard ?
But perhaps shopping has to wait until they find a town / harbor...

Tass
2008-04-28, 06:06 AM

Thats probably why they took the hostage in the first place.

Estelindis
2008-04-28, 06:06 AM
Loved the grammar jokes! The last few frames were just hilarious. Also found Durkon's comment regarding chainmail and beards rather amusing. :smallsmile:

Like most everyone else, though, I do find myself wondering who the hostage is... :smallconfused:

ref
2008-04-28, 06:08 AM
Yay for learning Orcs!

Roc Ness
2008-04-28, 06:13 AM
"Common senses tingling!" :vaarsuvius:

I sense a King Kong parody... :smalltongue:

Helix
2008-04-28, 06:38 AM

I'm thinking that they've gotten their hands on Banjo and one flesh-and-blood hostage.

Who is the actual hostage? I have no idea.

Saint Nil
2008-04-28, 06:39 AM
I bet Vaarsuvius is the one teaching them grammer.:smallamused:

Great comic giant:smallbiggrin:

EllysW
2008-04-28, 06:40 AM
Very funny strip! And I'm wishing for a "fancy math" T-shirt for my daughter.

That's the problem with OotS -- too many T-shirtable lines. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2008-04-28, 06:43 AM
Given that V is referred to as "attempting to qualify for the Uptight English Teacher prestige class" in Dragon magazine strip "Learning to Wead and Wight" that would be another good use of Dragon content. We have already had Belkar's "Profession Gourmet Chef" from the snail strip, its time we had another one.

Vulion
2008-04-28, 06:44 AM
It's nice to see people care about their grammar.:smallwink:

Grey Watcher
2008-04-28, 06:59 AM
To be fair, Daigo never actually gives any kind of approval of Durkon's plan to blast the orcs with lightning. He doesn't even seem to get terribly annoyed with Elan until he gets flustered about what illusion to choose.

Holammer
2008-04-28, 07:01 AM
Fun strip, especially for someone like me with a proven track record of mangling the English language.

But seriously tho. Durkon getting carried away is starting to grow old. Always him but never Belkar who always ends up running himself in chase scenes and there's been a few of those. Dwarves and Halflings share the same 20ft limit save for any form of magic effects and I'm pretty sure Rangers don't get any form of improved speed (apart from woodland stride) and Dwarves don't get slowed by medium or heavy armour. What am I missing here? Apart from artistic licence?
This comic is blatantly racist against Dwarves! What next? Toss the Dwarf? :smallamused:

Daibhid C
2008-04-28, 07:07 AM
Wonderful. I agree with everyone about the grammar gags. I also laughed out loud at the fact that Elan believes multiplying by two is "fancy math".

Glorfindel
2008-04-28, 07:15 AM
glorfindel like current comic!

warmachine
2008-04-28, 07:18 AM
D&D really needs a success through stupidity feat.

shylocxs
2008-04-28, 07:41 AM
OH NO! It's LOL Orcs!

TroyXavier
2008-04-28, 07:51 AM
simple but very amusing. Ahhh it does the heart good to have Elan back in focus that's for sure. The orcs were great too.

Blaznak
2008-04-28, 07:51 AM
Ok, now I just didn't see THAT one coming! What a crazy way to escape! I liked Durkon's notation about chainmail and beards, by the way. Very nice!

Kilarny
2008-04-28, 07:53 AM
"capital letters intrigue mungu"
LOL!

Baalzebub
2008-04-28, 08:37 AM
LOL!

:smallbiggrin:

That was the very best line!!

happyturtle
2008-04-28, 08:40 AM
I'm thinking that they've gotten their hands on Banjo and one flesh-and-blood hostage.

Who is the actual hostage? I have no idea.

That makes sense. Perhaps Therkla promised to guard Banjo?

Daigo seems annoyed rather than worried, so I think Kazumi is safe. Vaarsuvius and Hinjo are too high level to be taken hostage easily. But Elan promised we'd know what was going on in #553, so I guess we'll find out soon.

Swooper
2008-04-28, 08:41 AM
I bet Vaarsuvius is the one teaching them grammer.:smallamused:
Exactly what I was going to post, damnit :smalltongue:

Belkar Rocks
2008-04-28, 08:43 AM

Yeah, get this- Thog's mother was from this island; and the father is none other than Julio Scoundrel. :cool:I like the way you think!

Anyone else finding that Daigo sounds exactly like Roy in this strip? It is uncanny.One of Elan's core skill sets is to bring out that sort of reaction in anybody. :smallwink:

Personally, I agree that the hostage is probably V ... but you never know!

And, of course, the best line ...
LOL!I completely agree! :smallbiggrin:

Kots
2008-04-28, 08:48 AM
Holammer,

You're forgetting Belkars level of barbarian:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html

Means that Durkon IS the slowest member of the party...

Blanth
2008-04-28, 08:52 AM

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. But would they not have tried to escape with woman and child first? I mean, isn't that how it usually goes?

Holammer
2008-04-28, 08:59 AM
Holammer,

You're forgetting Belkars level of barbarian:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html

Means that Durkon IS the slowest member of the party...

ZING! nice one!
Still, there are prior strips to Belkar's level in barbarian when he kept up fine when Durkon needed a hand.

Eric
2008-04-28, 09:04 AM
But seriously tho. Durkon getting carried away is starting to grow old. Always him but never Belkar who always ends up running himself in chase scenes and there's been a few of those. Dwarves and Halflings share the same 20ft limit save for any form of magic effects and I'm pretty sure Rangers don't get any form of improved speed (apart from woodland stride) and Dwarves don't get slowed by medium or heavy armour. What am I missing here? Apart from artistic licence?
This comic is blatantly racist against Dwarves! What next? Toss the Dwarf? :smallamused:

Don't Barbarians get faster move rate?

Trouvere
2008-04-28, 09:22 AM
Just how strong do you have to be not to be put into medium load when you're carrying Durkon?

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-04-28, 09:25 AM
Sweeeeeeet. Did anyone else notice that Elan's actual illusions have gotten better? Beyond their uncertain conceptual origins anyway, they actually look better. He he, remembering the 3 headed Chimera-dragon...

RTGoodman
2008-04-28, 09:27 AM
I haven't read through the whole thread (and it's only 3 pages, so shame on me), so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet.

:elan: Don't bring your fancy math into this!

I'd love to have a shirt with that! :smallbiggrin:

HOLEkevin
2008-04-28, 09:39 AM

You're getting attacked and chased, possibly already injured. Who would you pick up? The good cleric who can heal you, or the psychopathic rogue whose best skill is sneak attack?

Anyway, the orc language trope is a familiar one, but always funny. (We just had a similar type conversation at the gaming table last week.) As always, I totally enjoyed it.

thestor
2008-04-28, 09:40 AM
Grammar orcs, what a horrific creation!

I wonder if the hostage is being tortured for declinations and conjugations... and whatever the orcs threaten to him/her is worse than grammar.

Shatteredtower
2008-04-28, 09:41 AM
:thog: Thog already learn Capitol Letters! This why Thog only half-orc!Perhaps. I don't recall seeing Thog using them in any of his sentences, though.

Still, there are prior strips to Belkar's level in barbarian when he kept up fine when Durkon needed a hand.True, but the party might still be stuck in 3.0 mindset on this one. Roy had probably been carrying Durkon for so long that it's become habit. Roy probably didn't pay too much attention to what changed for dwarves in 3.5, and it's quite possible that Durkon didn't notice either.

Zenos
2008-04-28, 10:04 AM
You're getting attacked and chased, possibly already injured. Who would you pick up? The good cleric who can heal you, or the psychopathic rogue whose best skill is sneak attack?

Anyway, the orc language trope is a familiar one, but always funny. (We just had a similar type conversation at the gaming table last week.) As always, I totally enjoyed it.

Belkar isn't the rogue, he is the under-optimized halfling ranger/barbarian.

Mechsae
2008-04-28, 10:10 AM
This story arc already looks like it's going to roc!

aapje
2008-04-28, 10:19 AM
I don't see any caps in there though (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html)

Zienth
2008-04-28, 02:45 PM
I don't see any caps in there though (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html)

Yup, even when he hulks out he does so in lower case.

:thog: decadent capital letters not intrigue thog.

Gurped
2008-04-28, 03:09 PM
orcs do learning. next we do gerunds

Aerysil
2008-04-28, 10:06 PM
Hey, they all talk like Thog.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-28, 10:26 PM
Funniest strop in a long time! :smallbiggrin:

I'm getting so curious as to what Elan and the rest are up to. Kind of a D&D "Gilligan's Island," with Elan in the lead role. Hostages, English teachers, no sign of several key people (I'm assuming Kato is safe back on the ships), Hinjo went on every diplomacy attempt, and V could be anywhere.

Can't wait to see what's next!

David Argall
2008-04-29, 01:03 AM

...uh...

Yeah, I got nothing.

Try harder V is indeed easily annoyed by poor use of language, or most anything else for that matter, and it is quite possible she has demanded the orcs attend a language class he teaches. This would mean she does not qualify as a hostage since he insists on remaining in the orc village.

Eric
2008-04-29, 02:46 AM
Hostages v. Hostage?

Might it be that we're reading too much into this? It could just be a misstatement based on norms. E.g.

We can't attack they have hostages!

may read better in Elan's mind than

We can't attack, they have a hostage!

because the gutteral "a" causes a pause in the sentence.

ishnar
2008-04-29, 03:00 AM
The illusion actually worked. That was great.

I think you naysayers missed the funniest line in the comic. "Daigo, lad, watch an' learn..." Durkon EXPECTED it to work. The stupider Elan's illusions seem at first glance, the more likely they are to work.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0478.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html

actually, it's a bit difficult to find an illusion of elan's that didn't work. But that is as far as I feel like looking.

Delgarde
2008-04-29, 06:02 AM
I think you naysayers missed the funniest line in the comic. "Daigo, lad, watch an' learn..." Durkon EXPECTED it to work. The stupider Elan's illusions seem at first glance, the more likely they are to work.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Durkon's been around long enough to know how it works - whatever Elan does will inevitably be exactly the wrong thing to do. And somehow it will work anyway.

Felixaar
2008-04-29, 06:38 AM
Try harder V is indeed easily annoyed by poor use of language, or most anything else for that matter, and it is quite possible she has demanded the orcs attend a language class he teaches. This would mean she does not qualify as a hostage since he insists on remaining in the orc village.

I highly doubt V would do such an act. S/he would really consider it a waste of time, considering V seems to consider anything not resolved around self a waste of time :smallannoyed:

Laurentio
2008-04-29, 06:53 AM
As one that occasionally caught his beard and long hairs in a real (homemade) chain mail, I really feel for Durkon. Ouch!

Laurentio, LARPer.

Shatteredtower
2008-04-29, 09:22 AM
V is indeed easily annoyed by poor use of language, or most anything else for that matter, and it is quite possible she has demanded the orcs attend a language class he teaches. This would mean she does not qualify as a hostage since he insists on remaining in the orc village. While practical, "A wizard never loses their ticket," still isn't widely accepted among grammar teachers as proper.

King of Nowhere
2008-04-29, 10:25 AM
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

That was a great strip, even for OOTS standard

nybbler
2008-04-29, 11:16 AM
While practical, "A wizard never loses their ticket," still isn't widely accepted among grammar teachers as proper.

I wouldn't recommend questioning that. If you could ask V about it, it would go something like this

V: It is perfectly acceptable. Here (handing you a scroll) is a reference from the great grammarian Split Infinitive.

You: (reading the scroll) "I prepared Explosive Runes today"

(BOOM)

Arkenputtyknife
2008-04-29, 12:42 PM
While practical, "A wizard never loses their ticket," still isn't widely accepted among grammar teachers as proper.
The grammar teachers are long overdue for getting their boop in gear. Singular they/their has a long pedigree:
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C005/018.html

David Argall
2008-04-29, 01:09 PM

actually, it's a bit difficult to find an illusion of elan's that didn't work. But that is as far as I feel like looking.

While I can't quickly think of one that wasn't believed, his illusions have a long record of not achieving their desired goals, as with the "sexy jailer".

I highly doubt V would do such an act. S/he would really consider it a waste of time, considering V seems to consider anything not resolved around self a waste of time
While there are good reasons to doubt the theory, this is not one of them. At last report, V was not just wasting her time on something not revolving around himself, but was about killing herself in the process. And in one of the Dragon comics, he is just that pedantic. [Tho I consider the comic one of the reasons this won't be used this time. Our writer tries not to repeat a gag and may well try a different line here.]

maxon
2008-04-29, 01:10 PM

That'll be the hostage, surely?

Kd7sov
2008-04-29, 01:12 PM

Some of the earlier ones, like here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html), seem to not work very well, as does the first one in 387.

(Also, I've never understood why in 478 he didn't actually summon a celestial lion. He's almost certainly high enough level to cast Summon Monster IV.)

Rheb
2008-04-29, 03:03 PM
Great job Giant :)

I must say that your stick drawing skills have improved a lot since the early comics.

Kish
2008-04-29, 05:00 PM
ZING! nice one!
Still, there are prior strips to Belkar's level in barbarian when he kept up fine when Durkon needed a hand.
And Rich explained this as, "Roy likes Durkon."

Haleyintraining
2008-04-29, 05:34 PM
Maybe the hostage is Lien. I seriously doubt it is V. V would not have left the ship, (s)he is trying to contact Haley and Belkar, and I doubt (s)he'd have left the ship to explore. Some people are saying that it couldn't have been Hinjo or Kazumi or else Diago wouldn't have wanted Durkon to shoot, but Elan was the one who pointed out the fact that they couldn't negotiate if they blasted the orcs. Diago and Durkon may have been thinking blast the orcs, than go back for the hostage. The hostage vs hostages thing might not mean that one hostage isn't worth it, it might have just been correcting Elan's mistake, although I support the Banjo theory... though I noticed Elan's isn't carrying his lute, maybe he left it on the ship, but I wouldn't put it past Elan to count it as a hostage, that is why the Banjo theory is so realistic. Or it could be Therkla, but no one else noticed her, because of all the other orcs...:smallconfused:

lord of kobolds
2008-04-29, 07:41 PM

he's alluding to the fact that in both strips they started in a battle with no explanation

Sequinox
2008-04-29, 09:04 PM
That... was my favorite oots in a very, very long time...

Morgan Wick
2008-04-29, 09:54 PM
Well, the hostage is probably Hinjo, V, or Kazumi, with Lien and Therkla as longshots.

factotum
2008-04-30, 12:15 AM
(Also, I've never understood why in 478 he didn't actually summon a celestial lion. He's almost certainly high enough level to cast Summon Monster IV.)

Because he almost certainly doesn't know the spell. Bards have a very limited number of spells they can know, and if Elan chose to specialise in illusions, as he seems to have done, he simply wouldn't have spare slots for Summon Monster spells.

slb
2008-04-30, 01:29 AM
[...]Durkon getting carried away is starting to grow old. Always him but never Belkar who always ends up running himself in chase scenes and there's been a few of those. Dwarves and Halflings share the same 20ft limit save for any form of magic effects and I'm pretty sure Rangers don't get any form of improved speed (apart from woodland stride) and Dwarves don't get slowed by medium or heavy armour. What am I missing here? Apart from artistic licence?[...]

When being chased, people usually RUN (i.e. base speed x 4).
Even a dwarf cannot run with a plate armor, this mean his max speed is 60' (base speed x 3). Hence Roy is at 90' and Belkar 80' or 120' depending if you take his Barbarian speed or not.

Ergo Durkon is the slowest party member when the OOTS rely on his favorite tactic: running.

Roderick_BR
2008-04-30, 07:56 AM
While I can't quickly think of one that wasn't believed, his illusions have a long record of not achieving their desired goals, as with the "sexy jailer".
On the other hand, when he used an alter self to disguise as an ogre once, he fooled even himself!

factotum
2008-04-30, 12:53 PM
On the other hand, when he used an alter self to disguise as an ogre once, he fooled even himself!

Fooling Elan is right up there with "putting your trousers on the right way round" as far as amazingly difficult feats go... :smallwink:

Shatteredtower
2008-04-30, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend questioning that. If you could ask V about it, it would go something like this

V: It is perfectly acceptable. Here (handing you a scroll) is a reference from the great grammarian Split Infinitive.

You: (reading the scroll) "I prepared Explosive Runes today"

(BOOM)Wouldn't work. I've read hir playbook.

Gurped
2008-04-30, 05:23 PM
blates the hostage is v
hence the conjugations