PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Pattern, good?

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-28, 05:25 AM
So, I'm thinking about taking Rainbow Pattern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rainbowPattern.htm) as my 4th level sorcerer spell. What do you guys think about the spell, in general?

Also, a rules question about the spell. Do I have to get the affected creatures in the 20' radius spread, or does it effect creatures that see the rainbow pattern?

edit-
If I don't get the 24 HD of creatures in the initial spread, can I move it over more creatures, if I have HD left?

Solo
2008-04-28, 05:45 AM
So, I'm thinking about taking Rainbow Pattern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rainbowPattern.htm) as my 4th level sorcerer spell. What do you guys think about the spell, in general?

Also, a rules question about the spell. Do I have to get the affected creatures in the 20' radius spread, or does it effect creatures that see the rainbow pattern?

edit-
If I don't get the 24 HD of creatures in the initial spread, can I move it over more creatures, if I have HD left?
It's not good, it's fabulous!

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-28, 05:47 AM
A fascinated creature is entranced by a supernatural or spell effect. The creature stands or sits quietly, taking no actions other than to pay attention to the fascinating effect, for as long as the effect lasts. It takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any potential threat, such as a hostile creature approaching, allows the fascinated creature a new saving throw against the fascinating effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the fascinated creature, automatically breaks the effect. A fascinated creature’s ally may shake it free of the spell as a standard action.

Doesn't the above ruin the spell, though? Or at least make it a non-combat spell?

Nebo_
2008-04-28, 06:07 AM
Doesn't the above ruin the spell, though? Or at least make it a non-combat spell?

Yes. Fascinated is a crappy condition. Pass on that spell, there are plenty of better ones.

Chronos
2008-04-28, 02:55 PM
The big thing about Rainbow Pattern is that it doesn't require a verbal component. This was huge back in 2nd edition, when a spellcaster would be completely shut down by a Silence spell. But now, you could just apply Silent Spell to something actually useful, so Rainbow Pattern and the other few naturally silent spells lose a lot of their allure.

Cuddly
2008-04-29, 01:41 AM
It's a great shut down spell to have against multiple opponents. Just tell your allies not to act threateningly towards the fascinated creatures and instead focus on the ones not staring at rainbows.

My party's wizard regularly uses it to great effect when facing groups of enemies that are attacking from multiple directions. I like to have mook range flank the party while the bads barrel down center, so being able to shut them all down with a single spell is quite helpful.

As a sorcerer, though, I'm not sure if you'd be casting it every day.

Paul H
2008-04-29, 08:43 AM
Hi

What about the 'Orb' spells, Enervation or even Polymorph? Enervation is a ranged touch attack (crit 20 x 2), D4 negative lvls, no save. (Once, I lost 7 temp levels in one crit)! :(

My favourite lockdown is Evards Black Tentacles. No save/No SR. Counts as difficult terrain. Grapple checks at CL+8.
(My Mystic Theurge in Living Greyhawk has Warmage CL 11, and uses this regularly. Even some huge creatures have to dice off against my +19 grapple).

Cheers
Paul H

nargbop
2008-04-29, 09:18 AM
It's not a terribly powerful spell, but used at the right time with the right conditions, it's very useful. Example : you're running through a maze chased by the Minotaur. He's only three rounds of running behind you. Stop for a round a lay round the Pattern. He runs around the corner and is stopped, staring dumbly. Your party, so long as it's quiet and completely non-threatening, can slip around him and go on your merry way. Maybe quietly stab him in the back if that's the point of the dungeon.

FinalJustice
2008-04-29, 02:48 PM
Depends on your intentions, for crowd control, I guess solid fog beats it hard and if you already have it, it's redundant. As a save or suck (assuming it has a save, don't remember) guess you'd be better with Slow. Surely you don't take anyone from combat, but it really cripples. I'm rather stingy with my 4th level spells, since there are way too good choices in it:

Thunderlance: Lightsaber h4x. Round/Level Touch Attack with BaB + Cha and Damage with 4d6 + Cha in place of Str, and it has reach too. One minute taking out mooks with a lightsaber is always fun. Better suited for gishes however.

Ruin Delver's Fortune: As an Immediate Action, Cha to one of your saves + extra feature (Evasion if you choose reflex!). Never fail a deadly saving throw again.

Resilient Sphere: I used to underestimate this spell. Now I'm a huge fan of it. Protect an ally, yourself, trap a foe, block a road, etc... etc... etc... Very useful, but Wall of Force kinda replaces it.

Enervation, Solid Fog and Orbs are too obvious to mention. Celerity and Polymorph are cheese.

Paul H
2008-04-29, 09:33 PM
Hi

Last two times I used Evard's Tentacles they really turned combat in our favour.

The last time there was an evil tainted nymph, and her dire bear companion. Dropped the Evard's so bear on edge of effect, the nymph furthr behind. Bear entangled, so party fighter wandered up & clobbered it. Nymph also grappled & failed concentration checks. Once bear dealt with, cancelled Evards & fighter wandered up and full smackdown on the nymph. Combat over.

Time before that was some underwater combat. Couple of Chuul & their merfolk support. Evards dropped the merfolk, freedom of movement allowed our big hitters to close with the chuul. (This was after we sorted out them being stunned).

Will let you know if I get on with Evard's this weekend. (4 games Living Greyhawk).

Cheers
Paul H

Collin152
2008-04-29, 09:51 PM
It's not good, it's fabulous!

Excuse me?
For shame!
You can't go deeming things fabulous without my approval, silly!

BRC
2008-04-29, 09:53 PM
Rainbow Pattern, or as we called it
"Instant Hippy Party"