PDA

View Full Version : [Artifacts] My Friends and other submissions!

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-28, 06:18 AM
Some Background - For awhile, I've had the urge to make my friends into magical items. Thus, I'm using this thread to stat out my friends from Plothook.net and other online areas. Here we go!

The Blue Hand - The Blue Hand is an impressive great maul (Complete Warrior) made of blue glassteel. Its mistress, the fearsome mage-priestess Bolverk, used it for centuries to consign her enemies to fates beyond her Material Plane. Sadly, beings immune to the Blue Hand emerged and stole it from her, and the weapon has been lost ever since. It functions as a +4 Disruption Great Maul, and it sends its victims to a random plane of existence (no save) whenever it strikes them. Its user tends to become authoritarian and somewhat aggressive, often lashing out against those who deny their authority. Females weilding the Blue Hand experience the above effects, as well as a general seductive air and wry playfulness.

More to come!

DracoDei
2008-04-28, 10:49 PM
Its a Ban-Hammer! Yay!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-04-28, 11:15 PM
...heheh. This should be interesting.

*Awaits items (if the Djinn or one of his many incarnations are indeed among those to be statted) with baited breath*

Also...

Gareth, I'm working on one for you. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, here you are. It encompasses only two of your many aspects in the weapon itself (because one of them is SO fitting for a weapon, and I wanted the other in there), but I didn't have the time to stat out all the weapons/items I could think of for you.

Hope it doesn't offend, cause you know it's true (at least somewhat...) :smallbiggrin:

Hatred Rising: Hatred Rising is the fabled blade of the legendary Lord Gareth, a man known as much for his volatile temper and violent rage as for his adamant support of those he values. This dark blade runs red with blood when drawn, and functions in all respects as a +5 Vicious Wounding Bastard Sword, except that it automatically overcomes all Damage Reduction and hardness.

Additionally, whenever the blade successfully strikes a creature directly opposed to the wielder, Hatred Rising gains a charge. Once 10 charges have been gathered, the wielder may expend all the charges and take a full-round action to strike with the full force of Gareth’s rage. If this attack lands, its victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 25) or vanish as if struck by a Sphere of Annihilation. A successful save causes the target to take an additional 15d6 points of damage (if this damage is enough to kill the target, treat it as if it had failed its Fortitude save). Hatred Rising can hold up to 10 charges at any one point in time.

Yet Hatred Rising, for all its dramatic violence, is also a weapon of steadfast companionship. At the beginning of the wielder's turn, he may choose to allocate any or all of the weapon's enhancement bonus to aid his allies. Each point of the enhancement bonus spent in this manner grants all allies within 30ft a +1 bonus to Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill Checks, and Armor Class for that round.

The wielder of this blade begins to harbor a brooding rage that occasionally explodes violently in a wave of verbal or physical violence. Yet, at the same time, he gradually becomes more and more supportive of the efforts of his allies, and more likely to come to their aid in times of need.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-29, 06:13 AM
Awww *is totally flattered*

You will eventually be made, aye. Likely more than once. But for now -

Cog and Taz - Cog and Taz are a pair of matched shortswords that almost appear as fragments of each other - each one has only one long half of a blade. Despite this seeming frailty, the weapons are incredibly sturdy, functioning as though crafted from adamantine. Cog and Taz each function as +4 Merciful Shortswords of Clouting. When weilded together, they allow the user to use Heal once per day as a swift action and Harm once per day as the same, though it deals only nonlethal damage. Once per week, the weilder may slam the blades together, then against a hard, wooden surface, dealing 2d6 Intelligence damage to any creatures they designate within thirty feet (3d6 if the wooden object in question is a desk) with no save allowed.

The weilder of Cog and Taz finds theirselves ignoring their own physical limitations, working well past exhaustion to get, "Just one more thing done." They become exceptionally forgiving and merciful as time wears on, unable to bear grudges. Eventually, they refuse to slay a living being and often refuse to help their companions do so.

The Discarded Diamond - This stone appears to be the least valuable gem to ever have been cut from the earth. It is riddled with holes and weaknesses, as well as lacking any kind of clarity or shine. When it is held, the weilder feels themself weaken considerably, recieving a -4 penalty to all ability scores while holding or carrying the diamond, as well as to attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws.

However, the Discarded Diamond does not discriminate. It levies the same penalties on all creatures within 100 feet of its weilder, sapping away their strength. The Diamond feeds off of these energies, gaining a single charge per day that it levies these penalties on a living being without pause. The weilder may choose to spend a charge to designate a single being within 100 feet to not recieve penalties for an hour.

The owner of the Discarded Diamond finds that they are prone to taking idiotic risks, such as charging a battle formation of orcs with no armor, or leaping off of a cliff to get to the bottom faster. These urges are often suicidal and borderline psychotic, usually resulting in the weilder's eventual death. However, the Diamond appreciates the user's courage in following its suggestions - whenever the user takes an action the DM considers to be suicidal, the weilder gets no penalties from the Diamond and instead recieves a +4 bonus to all ability scores, attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws while in the course of commiting the action.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-29, 02:55 PM
very nice!!!

Vadin
2008-04-29, 03:00 PM
These weapons are...surprisingly well formed, sir. Balanced (as far as artifacts can be), intriguing, and a good read. I approve.

Any chance the Giant himself might be one? Most of my players read OotS and its been awhile since we've had any epic-level, artifact-smokin', diety-bashin', hilarity-ensuin' play.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-29, 03:21 PM
I'm afraid I don't know the Giant personally, actually, or I'd make one of 'im. I don't want to offend anyone by misrepresenting their personality. I would like to point out, however, the joke behind Cog and Taz's Intelligence damage ability - *facedesk*

Caben's Rose - Caben Duur was a monstrosity born of the void eons ago, tormented by thoughts that were not his own and spirits that he never asked for. The creature carved its way through the multiverse, finally ending up at an arena in Sorcen's Baator. There is fought and slew many opponents to slake its lust for blood - until a single man, Kyle Killigan, struck up a conversation with it in a bar. Kyle convinced Caben to give good a try, and the monster went off on his suggestion to the realms of Arborea.

The spirits that composed and possessed Caben Duur, however, had other plans. They fought him, and Caben found himself trapped in a half-state between being a force of life and a force of death. A group of beings attempted to destroy him once and for all upon his return. Only Kyle Killigan fought to save him.

No one but Kyle himself knows what actually happened, but Caben Duur left behind a single rose. Once a year, the rose opens and weeps nectar of blood. Kyle left it where it lay, and it eventually vanished from its lonely patch of hellish soil.

A mortal who picks up Caben's Rose is immediately bound to it. The rose snakes around his arm, up to his shoulder, and sinks its thorns in painfully. Thereafter, the rose drinks a point of Constitution each day to sustain itself, literally feeding off its bonded mate's blood. In return, the rose offers a measure of its former master's power. The weilder may Heal or Harm once per day with a touch, as a 20th level cleric. Additionally, as an immediate action, they may intercept any spell with the cure or inflict descriptor and redirect its target, even beyond the spell's normal range.

The flower has its greatest power, however, when it is bonded to a Blood Magus (Complete Arcane). The DC for all of its bonded mate's spells and supernatural or spell-like abilities increase by 4. Additionally, their bloodseeking spells deal an additional 5d6 points of damage (on top of any other sources of bonus damage). Lastly, when using their Blood Walk ability, the Blood Magus may traverse planes of existence.

A druid who picks up Caben's Rose does not become bonded to it, instead feeling a strange sense of balance. None of their spells require material components while they possess the rose, and any spell they have that affects plants in any way causes the plants to grow long, dangerous thorns that deal 1d6 points of piercing damage and 1d6 per caster level of the druid of pure divine damage to all creatures hostile to the druid who touch the plants.

The owner of Caben's Rose becomes increasingly schizophrenic and violent, broken by spells of melancholy and self-loathing. As it progresses, the character may need to find a rock in their life - faith, a loved one - to prevent themselves from spiralling into psychotic dementia. As long as the character has someone or something they love enough to truly die for, they can avoid complete insanity.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-29, 04:05 PM
The Barkeep's Mug - "Ale" Rindel the Barkeep loved drink. He loved it so much that he spent a considerable amount of his fortune comissioning the manufacture and sale of everfull ale mugs, earning his sobriquet. When he died, conssiuers of fine drink everywhere mourned. His personal mug, on the other hand, vanished, presumed stolen.

The Barkeep's Mug appears as an ornate drinking mug, made of polished platinum and studded with small diamonds. It never runs out of drink, and the user need only name any drink they have ever sampled before to change the liquid inside the Barkeep's Mug to the liquor of his choice. But the power of the mug doesn't stop there.

By paying 100 XP per spell level, the user of the Barkeep's Mug may cause the beverage in it to also act as any potion of his choice, from any spell list. Dipping an item into the mug and then drinking the liquid acts as an Identify or Legend Lore spell targeting that item. Additionally, while they own the mug, they may breathe liquor as though it were air.

The owner of the mug finds a strong love for drink (if they didn't have one already) and will find himself prefering to spend most of his time drunk or at least tipsy. They become confident and assured when drunk, often leading to hilarious mistakes. Increasingly, they find that they cannot resist buying drinks for total strangers.

Alerindel
2008-04-29, 04:16 PM
The Barkeeper's Mug is made of win.:smalltongue:

Stygianangel
2008-04-29, 04:22 PM
Nice work, Lord_Gareth. They sound a lot like some people I know. ;) Keep up the great work!

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-29, 04:29 PM
Angel Shroud - The Angel Shroud is the only remnant of a unique and legendary being, the fabled Stygian Angel. In ages past, she was a being of law who spontaenously arose from the River Styx in the Nine Hells of Baator. For milennia, she served the Lords of Hell as an enforcer, messanger, and general, bringing glorious order to Baator. Unfortunately, the angels of the Upper Planes saw her as an abomination, and sent a force down to Baator to bring her down. It was a mighty battle, and much celestial blood was spilled, but eventually, the Stygian Angel was slain by Merikel himself.

Her feathers were collected by Asmodaeus in a show of honor, and he formed a cloak from them. Now, whenever a mortal does an exceptional act furthering the cause of law and evil, he may bequeth the powerful and terrible artifact upon them.

The Angel Shroud appears as an elegant cloak of black feathers that always fits its wearer perfectly. When first put on, the cloak fuses with its wearer, refusing to be parted from them. Their fingers enlongate into elegant, deadly talons that deal 2d6 slashing damage and count as evil and magic for the purposes of damage reduction. The cloak may become a pair of black-feathered wings that grant the user a fly speed of 200 feet (Good).

The user of the cloak may cast Diction and Unholy Blight as spell-like abilites, eight times per day each as a 20th level cleric. Additionally, they gain immunity to all spells with the chaos descriptor and a +6 profane bonus vs. all spells with the good descriptor. Finally, once per week, they may flap their wings and unleash an unholy screech, dealing 20d6 sonic damage to all nonlawful and/or nonevil beings within 100 feet. Creatures dealt damage by this ability (who survive) must succeed at a Will save (DC 30) or have their alignment instantly and irrevocably changed to Lawful Evil.

The owner of the Angel Shroud finds theirselves consumed by thoughts of vengeance against all who wronged them and a special hatred for the clergy of Heironious. They enjoy inflicting pain and misery and eventually become incapable of simply slaying a foe, instead capturing and torturing them for months or even years on end.

Galedemir
2008-04-29, 04:59 PM
I will pester and torment my DMs until that diamond is mine... :smallfurious:

I love them all, but when an item gets created in your image, you just can't let it go. Thanks Pointy!

*Walks off with a very pointy stick to... "persuade"... his DMs to let him incorporate it*

For Xyxima?

Hat of Obvious Statements

Once donned, this hat can only be removed with a DC 21 will save from the wearer and no magic or assistance can otherwise remove this hat. It provides a +6 bonus to all knowledge skills but also forces the wearer to spur a completely obvious and ridiculous statement every 1d6 rounds, no save allowed. The wearer of this hat also gains a +4 bonus to intelligence, gaining all the regular effects of a natural intelligence bonus, excluding skill points per level (e.g. still gets extra spells per day), but suffers continually from the immense wealth of useless or too useful information, thus taking a -10 penalty to spot, listen, and search. In any round that he says an obvious statement, his concentration also suffers a -8 penalty.
It is also rumored by some to create an innate lust for cheese in the wearer... Not that they'll ever use it, of course...

Cogwheel
2008-04-29, 05:56 PM
*stares* You're silly. :p

By the by, who are the Shroud and Diamond for? I missed those.

Oh, and don't be fooled, people - the int damage is just to drag people down to my level >_>

Aleron
2008-04-29, 06:03 PM
These are great. Unfortunately I am to noob and unknown here to get my own artifact. :( I miss the Wizards boards where I was known and feared in the YMTC section :-P

Cogwheel
2008-04-29, 07:04 PM
Actually, these are all people from an entirely different PbP site, except for me and Gareth, who are on both as well as the WotC boards. Well, that and Caben - that's someone I really don't want to meet in person >_>

And now to figure out how Gareth ended up thinking that I might be anything less than evil and/or annoying..

Aleron
2008-04-29, 07:09 PM
You know your just a big teddy bear IRL :-P

Cogwheel
2008-04-29, 07:21 PM
Nah, I'm actually worse in person... wait, I guess that's it, seen as Gareth never actually met me. I suppose that might count for some of the confusion, than >_>

Vadin
2008-04-29, 08:03 PM
It's things like this that make me thing I should finally get my nose out of the homebrew section some time and join a PbP game or somesuch...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-04-29, 08:08 PM
Caben's Rose - *snip*

Some player of mine is definitely coming across this. It's incredible.

A fitting memorial for Caben Duur, and another excellent bit of work from Lord Gareth. :smallbiggrin:

Atticus Bleak
2008-04-29, 08:48 PM
Gareth, once again your work is sublime. Its actually exciting when i see you've made something new, friend! As always, impressive.

Caben's Rose struck me as an item i HAVE to use in my campaign, with your permission of course? One of my players is big on wives and roses, and he will EXPLODE if i give him this.

As always, Yours
Atticus Bleak.

Mephisto
2008-04-29, 09:07 PM
When I saw the title I thought of Sweeny Todd's razors.

This is fine too, though.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 06:14 AM
@Atticus - If I didn't want these used, I wouldn't post them ^_^ Go forth with my blessing.

@Cog - *Facedesk*. That is all.

@Aleron - I'm from WotC ^_^ I was Lord_Gareth until being banned, when I become Jessica_Morgan ^_^

The Discarded Diamond is based off of GM Gale. The Angel Shroud was inspired by the name of Stygianangel.

The Black Book - This fearsome tome appears as a black-bound book with gilt-leafed pages. Its cover is marked by no name or author, instead bearing a single, imposing symbol - a skull with an open book in its mouth. Legend has it that the Black Book was the personal grimoire of the namless lich of the Rockwell Mountains, who ruled with an iron fist for more than eighty thousand years before he was destroyed. The wizard who brought down the undead monstrosity took the Book as his prize. Both promptly vanished from the face of the world.

The Book confers several powers on its owner simply by being near her. She may read and write all languages with perfect fluency, as well as speak and understand them. The Book allows wizards to memorize two additional spells per level and can, itself, act as a spell book with no page limit (the Book is assumed to already contain all spells of the Necromancy school).

However, the true power of the Black Book is in the reading of it. By opening it and reading out loud, the Book deals its wearer 1d3 points of Wisdom damage and allows them to use any summon monster spell they so choose. The creatures called forth all have the psuedonatural template (Complete Arcane).

If the reader continues to utter the foul words aloud, the Book deals them 4d3 points of Charisma damage and forces one creature within 100 feet who can hear the words to make a Will save or be affected as though by mind rape (Book of Vile Darkness).

Continuing to read the Book aloud causes the reader to take 2d3 points of damage to all mental ability scores and summons forth the dread Illurien (MM5) to serve the weilder faithfully for one hour. Afterwards, she becomes free-willed and quite dangerous.

Reading the Book aloud is a full-round action that may be continued for up to three rounds before the Book slams shut and refuses to open until sunset or sunrise, whatever comes first.

The owner of the Black Book becomes obsessed with omnescience and secrets, increasingly willing and ready to commit murder and horrid atrocities for the sake of knowledge. They become perverted and often sexually deviant. Each time they read the book, they feel the need to do so again and again, like an addiction.

Aleron
2008-04-30, 06:26 AM
ROFL! I knew that name was familiar! I was Shadow Dweller/Lazuli Frog/Shadow Frog over on the WotC Boards. I ran a series of card creation contests on the YNTC forums called the "Odd Con"'s...I think you actually may have won one of those :-P

What did you get banned for?!

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 08:19 AM
I don't remember you at all ^_^

And flaming, but it was justified.

Aleron
2008-04-30, 08:33 AM
I don't remember you at all ^_^
http://www.gosmiley.com/frowning/tiddlow-purple.gif

Kidding :-P

And flaming, but it was justified.

There, I would believe it. :smallsmile: Some of their Mods could be quite draconic at times

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-04-30, 09:17 AM
That, and the fact that he's Gareth.

I mean, there's a reason that once Hatred Rising has enough charges it tears you apart. Getting on Gareth's bad side is NOT somewhere you want to be.

Ever seen a volcano erupting? The little tell-tale signs, the smoke, the steam, the glow of the lava? Someone didn't understand what that meant.

:smallbiggrin:

Also, the Black Book frightens me a little...mainly for that bit at the end.

Dammit Gareth! Stop showing us all up! :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 10:02 AM
Hey, hey, I am not the one whose kobold is riding on a hoverbike.

Mind you, I'm going to be the one whose kobold is in space marine power armor...

Meri's Mittens - These gloves were worn by a thief legendary for her hubris, not necessarily her skill. Meri would literally steal the clothes off people's backs, as well as anything and everything shiny that caught her eye, and was never caught at it. When she finally retired, she left the gloves to her daughter - who promptly lost them in an incident that left her highly embarassed in a public manner.

The gloves themselves appear as worn leather riding gloves, and allow the user to use telekinesis at will. However, the gloves can only manipulate clothing, shiny objects, or other similar materials. Within these limits, they are powerful, using telekinesis as a 30th level sorcerer. Any object being telekinetically manipulated by the gloves may be stored in side them by speaking the word, "Sparklies!", with a limit of 100 cubic feet per glove per point of the user's charisma modifier.

The user finds herself becoming more mischevious and obsessed with shiny, sparkling objects. No matter how hard she tries to prevent it, at some point each day that she wears the gloves at least an hour or uses their abilities, they will be rendered nude except for the gloves.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 12:10 PM
Vici's Wedding Bands - This artifact is actually a pair of matched wedding rings, presented to Tyler Vici and Inaya Elrissa by Sorcen, the lord of Baator. The rings themselves are works of stunning beauty, forged from pure elemental energies that mix and swirl in breathtaking colors. Each ring gives its wearer Energy Resistance 20 against all energy attacks (Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, and Sonic).

Tyler's Wedding Band is infused with the Daemonaic energies of its master, as well as his faith and rightousness. The result is an item that is caught between becoming a holy artifact of justice and a foul talisman of hell. It grants the user resistance to positive energy 20 and negative energy 20, as well as rendering them immune to death effects and energy drain. Once per day, they may cast Summon Monster IX, calling forth a monster with either the good or evil subtype as a swift action. If they summon a creature with the good subtype, the user gains the Tanar'ri subtype until the next sunrise or sunset, whatever comes first. If they summon a creature with the evil subtype, the user gains the Eldarin subtype until the next moonrise or moonset, whatever comes first.

Inaya's Wedding Band absorbed its mistress' devotion and smoldering rebelliousness. The wearer becomes immune to spells and abilities with the lawful descriptor, as well as the supernatural abilities of beings with the lawful subtype. Once a day, they may fly into a controlled rage (as a barbarian's mighty rage, but able to tell the difference between friend and foe). The wearer of the ring may also Dimension Door unlimited times per day as a swift action and apply their dexterity modifier to melee damage.

A single being cannot wear both rings at once.

The wearer of Tyler's Wedding Band finds themself becoming cynical and sarcastic, often seeing the world in terms of what's possible and what isn't. At the same time, they will fight seemingly impossible odds and go to incredible lengths for a friend or loved one. More and more, they see no problem using evil tactics in pursuing good.

The wearer of Inaya's Wedding Band gains a growing sense of personal honor that often runs counter to established norms. They rebel instead of negotiate and gain a growing anger complex, directed at anyone who would dare harm or threaten one that they love.

The wearers of the Vici Wedding Bands feel a growing love for each other, and can always tell exactly where the other is, even across planar boundries, and communicate with each other via empathy. If the rings are left on long enough, the feelings of love and devotion become permanent.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-04-30, 02:11 PM
^^ Love it.

And would you believe I was thinking about those this morning, and wondering if you'd make something like that?

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 03:03 PM
Yes, yes I would believe that ^_^

The Bunny's Ring - The Bunny was an interesting travel companion. No one was ever quite sure what she did, but she did it with enthusiasm and energy. Her seemingly random behavior was later revealed to be the doing of this ring - originally a mere cursed item, now infused with her essence. After she was cured of it, she donated the ring to a temple of Boccob, which was later sacked by an ogre mage and its band of giants.

The wearer of the Bunny's Ring is affected as though by haste and confusion. But the Ring doesn't stop there. Whenever the wearer is struck by a melee or ranged attack, the ring releases an effect identical to that of a Rod of Wonder. Once per encounter, the wearer may wreath herself in a Cloak of Chaos, as cast by a 20th level cleric.

The wearer of the ring, in addition to the curse, acts random even in their lucid moments, often hugging or kissing strangers in preference to murderous acts. Others inevitably begin seeing the wearer as, "Cute" and "Adorable" rather than as a deadly threat to their existence.

Basilisk
2008-04-30, 04:01 PM
Love that ring, and it so fits Bunny too! You have a talent for this you know.

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 04:34 PM
Slaughter Penny - Sometimes, the most innocuos things are what rise to power and prestige. Take the Slaughter Penny as an example of this - for it is nothing more than a humble copper piece. The surface seems perpetually oily and bloody, and no recognizeable seal is stamped into it. For centuries, it has passed from assasin to assasin, always being used to pay for the deaths of others, until its perpetually bloody work stained it forever.

The Slaughter Penny grants the wearer a +20 bonus on all Intimidate checks simply by the virtue of being on his person. However, if they grasp the Penny, they gain a Death Attack as an assasin of their character level. Furthermore, they may render themselves invisible as per greater invisibility at will. Whenever they slay a living being, the Slaughter Penny stores the soul of its victim inside itself. The souls may be expended as though they were charges, allowing the user to cast any necromancy spell on the wizard/sorcerer spell list at the cost of one soul per spell level.

The owner of the Slaughter Penny finds themselves growing detached and emotionless, except for brief flashes of humor when contemplating death or sadism. He starts leaving behind bloody finger and boot prints, and eventually has an almost permanent coating of fresh blood dripping from their bodies. Killing for money only makes the symptoms worse.

Gael_Judicium
2008-04-30, 07:15 PM
Hmm... I like this thread, I can think of plenty of things that would fit my friends. Gareth, do you care if we post our artifacts here too? Also, I was reading your Harrowed base class and I loved it. :smallsmile:

Lord_Gareth
2008-04-30, 07:29 PM
Go ahead! I don't mind at all ^_^

SilentNight
2008-04-30, 10:38 PM
Go ahead! I don't mind at all ^_^

Thanks. I'll just do my two fellow gamers for now.

The Ring of Freedom of Cheese
By putting on this ring you find that the universe holds no sway over you. You may immediately reroll your character of you so choose. Also, if there is ever an argument over rules interpretation you automatically win no matter how liberal your reading.

The Phasm's Coat
This slightly battered coat at first appears as a green jacket but seems to change minutely or largely whenever you take your eyes off it. Those who discover it find it a great boon. But the weak-willed wuickly become isolated from all those they hold dear. When put on it appears similar to the rest of the wearer's clothing, a little to much like it. The wearer gains several abilities. They can change their appearence and clothing at will as per Alter Self except that the wearer may also physically transform their clothing. The wearer may also use Shapechange at will. The greatest power of the coat though is its control over others perceptions. As said above, whenever an onlooker stops focusing on the wearer of the coat, it changes. Upon looking back, the viewer ceases to recongnize the user (no save). This frees the wearer from any harmful or benefical spells or effects that were cast on the wearer by the onlooker. However, this affect applies to all creatures, friendly or hostile, and may lead to strange situations as the DM permits. The wearer may suppress this effect my making a DC 34 will save every 10 minutes.

Yes, I know the second one is horribly worded so please don't kill me.

Cogwheel
2008-05-01, 07:29 AM
The book and penny.. who would those be for?

Gael_Judicium
2008-05-01, 07:57 AM
I want that ring.... Precious....

Here's one of my friends'

Hero's Greatsword
Functions in most respects like a +3 Greatsword, however, it is twice as long and wide as a normal Greatsword. It is way lighter than it should be and it temporarily allows the wielder to defy the laws of physics. After a time, the user is prevented from making decisions, no matter how logical, that do not involve being the hero. The wielder as jumps in the way of any attack within 2 squares of his location, and he gets a -5 penalty on his Saving throws when he does this. He becomes dumber and dumber, while refusing to willingly part with the sword.

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-01, 08:44 AM
You've never met the master of the Book, a friend of mine named Rob. The penny is DM Bloodbought - a pun on his name.

Cogwheel
2008-05-01, 09:13 AM
Right, thanks ^_^

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-01, 09:27 AM
Alrighty folks -

For Those of You Submitting Your Own Artifacts - I ask that you take the patience and care that I have in creating the artifacts I've submitted. Attempt to make them balanced and give them real, in-game histories that the players can find out about. Try to keep things somewhat serious, aye? Thank you.

Vadin
2008-05-01, 03:09 PM
The Unpredictable Orb- Years ago, a young psion by the name of Extaron traveled the land. After a particularly exciting adventure involving dragons, bridges, and making the two fight to the death, Extaron was offered an invaluable gift by a strange old man. The man handed Extaron a glass sphere the size of a grapefruit. As the psion grasped the ball, his eyes opened in surprise. Suddenly, he felt his mind expand to previously unknown limits. The man saw that it had worked and said, "Never again will you know your fate, and never again shall you know yourself." Confused, Extaron looked around. He was in the same place he had been before, and he knew just who he was, didn't he? About to ask what the man meant, Extaron looked back, shocked to realize he was gone. When he inquired, none of his fellow Explosionites (the name under which they had chartered their 'Expeditionary Corporation') had seen or heard any old man. They'd only seen Extaron sitting, thinking, looking much more pensive than his usual wild self. The psion thought little more of it until he tried to use his powers...and then, once he'd gotten used to it, he hadn't considered the little orb...until, of course, he tried to sleep...

The wielder of the Unpredictable Orb must have access psionic powers and a power point reserve for any effect to take place. When calculating bonus power points based on a high intelligence or when making knowledge checks (whether or not the character has ranks in the particular skill), treat the wielders intelligence as 4 points higher than it is.

In addition, when the user manifests a power that has energy options, the user does not choose which one to manifest. The user rolls a d4. On a 1, the power deals fire damage. On a 2, cold, on a 3, electricity, and on a 4, sonic. The usual effects apply, such as fire dealing +1 damage per die. In addition to randomly choosing the energy type used, the power also adds an additional d6 of an energy type chosen by the user. This extra d6 of energy damage is unaffected by energy effects like +1 damage per die for fire.

When the user tries to sleep to refuel their power points, the user is wracked by terrible nightmares that consume their entire mind. While asleep, the user is almost impossible to wake, and adds +10 to the DC of any Listen checks made to wake up. Even if the user does wake up via this method, however, their mind is still foggy, and for 1d4+1 minutes all creatures more than 5 feet away have total concealment against the user.

Regardless of whether or not the user is woken up forcefully, they must succeed on a DC 25 Will Save when they return to consciousness (whether their normal wake-up time or 1d4+1 minutes after they are woken). If they fail the save, their power choices for the day are severely limited. Roll a d%. If the result is even, the user may only manifest powers that would be affected by the orb's random energy effect. If the result is odd, the user may only manifest powers that do not deal damage (be that damage physical, force, energy, or some other type). On a successful save, however, there is no effect.

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-02, 12:09 PM
Argh! *Gets blindsided by the Doom Block of Text*

There's an enter key for a reason, dude :P

The Lord's Dread Fangs - An ancient vampire of legend was once the owner of these fangs, known only as The Lord. His years were long and grew longer by the minute, and his incredible intellect found itself bored - the only sin to one without death.

Eventually, the Lord fell in love with a mortal priestess of Pelor. In his dead heart beat new life and new love - and he knew that he could not restrain himself or keep his love a secret. He confessed all to his beloved, who, rather than rejecting him, asked him to perform penance for his deeds. He cut the very fangs from his mouth and swore never to steal blood again. The fate of both the Lord and the priestess is unknown, but the temple of Pelor still has the fangs as sacred relics.

When a living being finds the Lord's Dread Fangs, they feel the urge to put them in their mouth, which they may accept or ignore at their own will. If they place the teeth in their mouth, the Fangs bond to their canines, granting them the Blood Drain and Blood Dependency special qualities of the Vampire template. The user of the Fangs also gains the benefit of a constant haste and stoneskin spell. If they drink the blood of someone who offered it unto them freely, they gain a +4 morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity for an hour.

The user of the Lord's Dread Fangs finds themselves consumed by wanderlust and the need for new experiences. Their emotions are heightened - they love and hate like fire and ice, and never will they be nuetral on anything. When confronting undead, they feel the increasing need to offer them forgiveness and compassion rather than destruction.

Vadin
2008-05-02, 02:36 PM
Argh! *Gets blindsided by the Doom Block of Text*

There's an enter key for a reason, dude :P

Oddly, I actually DID have spaces between paragraphs in there last night...then I had to go eat and...I'm not sure why I took them out...Ah, well. It was late. Problem...rectified!

AngelForm
2008-05-02, 03:37 PM
I love this concept :smallbiggrin:

If I may I will use 1 of my real life friends for this as I am new to the boards :smallfrown:

Deck of cowardly luck
This deck of playing cards was the ever present companion a man known by almost any name but normally called the wanderer. The deck absorbed his essence, luck and, at his death, his personality.
The owner of the deck is blessed with great luck and an even greater sense of self preservation. They also become as opportunist.

The owner gains a +6 luck bonus to hide, move silently and escape artist checks, in addition they gain a +4 luck bonus to all rolls and will never willingly turn down a chance to “try there luck”.
In battle the owner may Sneak attack as a level 30 rogue however if this attack fails to kill the target or there are other enemies that pose an immediate threat the deck will instantly teleport its owner either 1 mile away or to the nearest known place of safety, whichever is closer.

Anyone in possession of the deck will become very reluctant to put themselves in danger for any reason, they will also have a growing urge to seek out games of luck.
Others will normally ignore the owner if they have taken no direct action against them, possibly sensing there unnatural cowardice.
Strangely anyone who keeps the deck for more than 1 week will find themselves answering to almost any name given to them by anyone while they have the deck, this cannot be changed by any means.

Probably a weak attempt but the best I can come up with.

hylian chozo
2008-05-02, 10:27 PM
I guess I'll try my hand at this.

The Sword of Stone
Legends spoke of an immense golem, said to have been carved from a mountainside. No one knows who created it, but it ravaged the lands with a force comparable to a raging dragon. It crushed armies, destroyed cities, and slaughtered foolhardy adventurers brave enough to face it. It could not be stopped...

The golem continued it's path of destruction, heading towards the capital city. All that remained to defend the city was an unknown order of Paladins. The battle was epic; All the Paladins were killed except one: Byrna Warpcross. With his final blow, he drove his sword into it's head. Once the sword was fully embedded in the golem, it sank into the earth, submerging all but it's massive head; The sword still entombed within it's stone skull. The sword remained in the golem for thousands of years, absorbing the power of the golem.

The Sword of Stone appears to be made of stone but is much lighter than it seems. The sword functions as a +5 vicious longsword. It grants it's wielder DR 10/Adamantine. It also allows the wielder use a slow effect (DC 30 Will save) 5 times/day on a successful hit. On a critical hit, the target creature is immediately petrified (DC 35 Fort save). This sword also has a curious effect on constructs. On the equivalent of a critical hit, the construct completely stops functioning as if petrified (no save). This effect includes living constructs such as warforged.

munchlord
2008-05-04, 05:02 PM
I Reckon those fangs are those that once rested in my mouth Gareth.

BTW I'm growing a new pair now, but as I've said a million times, I only drink when offered now, as the deal with the girl is in reality :P ;)