PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a game

Kian
2008-04-28, 11:29 AM
Ok, I've been looking around the net for a while now and I'm getting frustrated. I figure if you people can't help me, noone can. Maybe some of the guys over in the Erfworld forum, actually, but this would be sort of off topic there.

The game is a turn-based fantasy strategy game, with touches of RPG. The game is actually something like a clone of Heroes of Might and Magic IV, only it looks better. Either that, or it [i]is[/is] Heroes of Might and Magic IV and my memory has embelished it to look better. Though from what I remember of it it couldn't be.

Some specifics. Different sides, split along the races mostly (evil types are kind of grouped together). There's some level of diplomacy, you can make alliances if your reputation with another side is high enough. The 'good' sides ussualy start with good reputations amongst themselves. You have the overworld map, based on a hex-grid (though it isn't obvious). Cities would be of different sizes, starting at 1 hex and growing as you upgraded them. The size of the city determined the kind of units you could produce there. You could capture a city of an enemy race and either have it produce units of it's same kind or raze it and rebuild it in your race type. However, your relations with the race varied depending on what you chose (with razing a city lowering relations the most). The overworld map was littered with geographical features wich you would take to gain advantages, like farms and mines and the like. You have heroes and regular units, but don't need your armies to be led by heroes. Combat can be auto or you can command it. I recall that when assaulting a city, the city gates would be closed during the attacker's turn and open during the defender's. If you had the city surrounded before starting the battle, or in any other battle really, your forces would start in the battle map in the corresponding positions. Also, when firing ranged weapons, a dotted line would mark the path of the projectile, and every obstacle along the way would show you how much miss chance it added. This is one of the differences that assure me it wasn't HoMM4, as ranged attacks don't have the line in it. Another difference with HoMM4 is that in it you are a lot more 'zoomed in'. Plus, in this game each of your units was represented independently, instead of having one sprite per type of unit. Units could have different types of movement, like forest, water or mountain, representing that they could move easily through such terrain. I recall one of the best units belonging to the elves was a fairly powerful 'Ranger', which had all three types of movement, a lot of move, and could fight ranged and melee. They kicked ass.

This was an old game, I recall playing it quite some time ago but couldn't say when. Over 6 years for certain. I had a shareware version or Demo. The menu image when you began the game was like a view of a magical city in the distance from a forest. The game was 2d, with isometric view, and the artwork was pretty good.

Anyway, if anyone can help me I'll really appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.

DemonicAngel
2008-04-28, 02:28 PM
your talking about Age of Wonders, although I cant be sure which one. google it up for images and see if thats it :)

ufo
2008-04-28, 02:32 PM
Sounds a lot like Age of Wonders/Age of Wonders 2. I got AoW2, and it's actually a decent game. Look it up.

Maxymiuk
2008-04-28, 02:43 PM
Definitely Age of Wonders 2. In the first AoE cities didn't grow. Also, in the first one the grid was much more obvious due to poorer graphics.

DemonicAngel
2008-04-28, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I have AoW: Shadow Magic, good game. and all the description of the game his looking for kinda matched up, so yeah, its AoW2.

Kian
2008-04-29, 04:49 AM
Thanks. It was Age of Wonders, yeah.