PDA

View Full Version : 3.5? Epic Destinies Article

Xefas
2008-04-28, 09:23 PM
Epic Destinies for use in 3.5, and some info on 4e Epic Destinies.

Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428&authentic=true)

EvilElitest
2008-04-28, 09:30 PM
Epic Destinies and the Artifact Lord.

Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428&authentic=true)

EDIT: Oh, it's for 3.5 :smalleek:

I love this stuff in theory. i imagine, through i haven't look closely that they are totally unbalanced, but i love the theory
from
EE

tyckspoon
2008-04-28, 09:50 PM
I love this stuff in theory. i imagine, through i haven't look closely that they are totally unbalanced, but i love the theory
from
EE

On first glance, no. Surprisingly enough; they're more like sets of Epic feats/class features that just don't suck.

JaxGaret
2008-04-28, 09:53 PM
Pretty neat. The feats are completely overpowered, but it's Epic, they should be :smallsmile:

I like them. Does this signify that there is going to be a ramping up of power once 4e characters hit Epic? Could be.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-28, 10:16 PM
Nice. My first reaction was "What? Are they saying that these guys actually have a class feature that makes them fade off into immortality once they beat level 30?", but on closer inspection, it seems that they're just giving suggestions for an appropriate conclusion to a particular destiny.

Unfortunately, the picture for the Blade of Ragnarok is just silly. His gaping mouth reminds me of those super mummy soldiers in the Brendan Frasier version of The Mummy, and the woman at his feet looks less like she's dead and more like she's horrified at what lies behind that loincloth. Still, that's got nothing to do with the content.

They also asked us to guess which one of those destinies will show up in 4e. I'm guessing the Artifact Lord, seeing as it makes a reference to 4e rules, but the Eternal Hero is fairly archetypical, as is the Demigod. I'm guessing those three. All the others will also be in, albeit with some pretty big fluff changes, but those three are going to make it in with fluff mostly unchanged.

And as a final side note:

The party finds a deck of cards that looks much like a deck of many things. However, instead of the normal faces, each of the 22 cards has a message scrawled on it describing a mission. The PCs find that if they complete a mission, the message transforms into a single letter. What could the 22-letter message be?

Answer: "P-U-R-C-H-A-S-E-F-O-U-R-T-H-E-D-I-T-I-O-N-!" :smallbiggrin:

EvilElitest
2008-04-28, 10:30 PM
classy Mewtarthio

Actually, i must say that i really like Eternal Hero, Demigod shouldn't be a PrC however
from
EE

Reel On, Love
2008-04-28, 10:38 PM
classy Mewtarthio

Actually, i must say that i really like Eternal Hero, Demigod shouldn't be a PrC however
from
EE

It's not a PrC, it's an Epic Destiny. I think being a demigod is just fine for an epic destiny.

RTGoodman
2008-04-28, 10:39 PM
I kinda like these, but some seem way better than others, so balance might be an issue.

I can tell you, though, that the coolest part of the whole things is that Morthos, the iconic Warlock, is apparently so awesome as a Demi-god that Solars bow down to him. Solars!

Maerok
2008-04-28, 10:52 PM
Hrmm. I do not like the perspective of using these in non-Epic games... Anyone playing Epic might as well, but throwing in these powers starting at 12th level borderlines supreme munchkin self-gratification. Might as well slap on the Paragon template and go 'exploring'.

ShadowSiege
2008-04-28, 11:56 PM
Hrmm. I do not like the perspective of using these in non-Epic games... Anyone playing Epic might as well, but throwing in these powers starting at 12th level borderlines supreme munchkin self-gratification. Might as well slap on the Paragon template and go 'exploring'.

It was more a throwaway thing if people wanted to use epic destinies in 3.5 (it's a 3.5 article) but didn't want to venture into level 21+ for some reason. It would most likely be the DM bestowing it upon the individuals in this case.

In regards to the article, it adds a bit more to the epic levels in 3.5, solving the problem of immortality and makes the characters truly epic in feel. The destinies negate lots of feats in the ELH, but I find it more than acceptable considering most of those feats were rather underwhelming (Penetrate Damage Reduction only counts for 1 damage type? Gee, thanks). I expect a lot more epic destinies, as none fit the arcane caster type very well (artificer did to some extent, but it didn't particularly impress me with the abilities it granted), and others may not be what people would have their characters aspire to (a devoted cleric of a god wouldn't typically up and go "My god isn't doing anything active, I'm going to transcend mortality and show them whats-what).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-29, 02:08 AM
Awesome. I'm glad to see they've figured out what epic play should be like. So maybe 4E will get that right, at least.

tyckspoon
2008-04-29, 02:16 AM
and others may not be what people would have their characters aspire to (a devoted cleric of a god wouldn't typically up and go "My god isn't doing anything active, I'm going to transcend mortality and show them whats-what).

It's fairly simple to change, at least. You're becoming closer to divinity; that doesn't have to end with actually being a god. A cleric could get transfigured into an avatar of his god, become his god's herald, maybe become (in 3.5 terms, at least) a Divine Rank 0 servant and a saint of his church. The relevant part is achieving immortality with a suitably memorable legacy to cap off the character's career.