PDA

View Full Version : Multidexterity

Rowan Intheback
2008-04-28, 09:44 PM
Ok I'm trying to make an encounter for my players against mutated sahuagin which have four arms. I was content to let the minions just use their claws to attack; however, for the leader I wanted to do something special and have him using four tridents. So I looked up the feat Multiweapon Fighting which gives a -6 to hit for the primary and a -10 on the off hands.

The problem here is my party has really nice AC and those penalties would make the fight way too easy for them. Someone told me about a feat called Multidexterity which would reduce the penalties but for some reason I can't find it in any book. I'm worried that it might not be in 3.5.

Does anyone know where this feat is?

Or if I can have him two hand two weapons can he then get away with taking the normal two weapon fighting tree?

tyckspoon
2008-04-28, 09:54 PM
Are you playing 3.0 or 3.5? In 3.0, it'd probably be in the Monster Manual. For 3.5 it isn't needed; Ambi/Multidexterity was folded into the Two/Multiweapon fighting feats. -6 primary/ -10 offhands is the normal multiweapon fighting penalties; the Multiweapon Fighting feat reduces those to -4/-4, just like Two Weapon Fighting does for creatures with only two arms (check the Benefits line.) You can reduce that to the regular -2/-2 you would get for using a light weapon in the offhands by giving him Oversized Two(Multi)weapon Fighting from Complete Adventurer.

Glyphic
2008-04-28, 09:56 PM
I think you're getting Multi-weapon wrong. It should bring it down to -4's to hit.

Multiweapon Fighting [General]
Prerequisites

Dex 13, three or more hands.
Benefit

Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands.
Normal

A creature without this feat takes a -6 penalty on attacks made with its primary hand and a -10 penalty on attacks made with its off hands. (It has one primary hand, and all the others are off hands.) See Two-Weapon Fighting.

that's from the SRD.

After that, I believe you can get it down to -2's if you use light weapons in the "off hands". Like.. slightly smaller Tridents.

Rowan Intheback
2008-04-28, 10:22 PM
Thanks, I guess I'm just illiterate.

The Sandman
2008-04-29, 01:35 AM
Assuming tridents are reach weapons, give him Short Haft from the PHBII also. It should be a nice little surprise for anyone who tries to get within his reach.

If you want to make it more cruel, have him do that and then use one trident as a reach weapon and one using Short Haft to attack adjacent squares.