PDA

View Full Version : Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 02:25 AM
Alas, news of your drunken boasts reach the young queen, and she makes it known that she will be disappointed if you don't give her the idol as a wedding gift.

She charges a priest of Marduk with making sure you don't lose your way there or back. Over several days the city grows nearer, until at last you stand outside the sheer brass walls of Karth the Unknown, City of the Ape-Sultans.

Kato
2008-04-29, 02:43 AM
Selin stands among his fellow companions and looks at the impressive city in front of them. He whistles in admiration. "Not half bad... these Ape-Sultans know what a city has to look like. Let's just hope the women don't look like monkeys..."

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 03:42 AM
It is indeed impressive, reaching as high as you can see. The builders don't seem to have been very into entrances or exits.

The Fighter
2008-04-29, 06:43 AM
Rathous looks around, he is amazed by the buildings being a tribal warrior he has not seen much out side the likes of huts and small buildings through his travels. After a few moments of taking in his surronding the fighter looks to his compainions for guidance.
"Where to?" he says in a deep grim voice thats almost frightening.

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 08:19 AM
Rathous looks around, he is amazed by the buildings

Not so much a building as a single, huge wall of brass. It curves gently around on either side.

There is what looks like it could be a village in the distance.

In all other directions, the lone and level sands stretch far away.

Liadel
2008-04-29, 08:26 AM
"What a waste of land a materials. Even half of the human blood is enough to corrupt them. Lets at least hope they have plants or animals of some kind!"

Are there guards on the wall?

If so, I hail one of them to ask for permission to enter.
If not, I through my grappling hook to the top and try to scale the wall.

mingus
2008-04-29, 08:30 AM
I brought us here, I never said I knew how to get in. Maybe try the village?

Liadel
2008-04-29, 09:01 AM
If the rope can't reach let's try the village.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 09:54 AM
Watt has been thinking absent-mindedly, staring ahead with unfocused eyes and fidgeting with his pockets and belt. He takes a long look at the brass wall in front of them.

"I second the elf. We can at least take a look at the city from on top of the wall before we try for the village."

Kato
2008-04-29, 12:21 PM
Selin sighs in disappointment. "Climbing is so troublesome... Let's just go to the village... And if they don't want us in their city, they may stay there on their own."

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 01:07 PM
"What a waste of land a materials. Even half of the human blood is enough to corrupt them. Lets at least hope they have plants or animals of some kind!"

Are there guards on the wall?

If so, I hail one of them to ask for permission to enter.
If not, I through my grappling hook to the top and try to scale the wall.

The top of the wall is too high for you to see. You can't see anything for the grappling hook to hook on to.

mingus
2008-04-29, 02:13 PM
I think our only options are to head for the village or start following the curve of the wall looking for a door.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 02:23 PM
"I don't need a rope to climb. Not if I can get a grip, anyway."

Watt steps forward to the base of the wall and tries to get a feel for the metal. Is the surface clean or battered? Are there indents or marks?

He also looks as high as he can, to the top of the wall, trying to gauge exactly how tall it is. Is it over 100 feet, less, or more?

Kato
2008-04-29, 02:34 PM
Selin graps Watts armor and pulls him away from the wall. "Are you some suicide freak? What need is there to climb this stupid wall? With our luck it's probably forbidden and all of us are going to be thrown into prison, just because you want to have a nice view or something." He shakes his head and whispers some curses. "Anyway, I'll head for the village, whoever wants to do some free climbing may stay, I'm more interested in a warm bed and some good food."

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 02:39 PM
Watt sidesteps out of Selin's grip and shrugs.

"I make my own luck. Still, if you feel that strongly about it, head on. I just want to know a little bit more about this place, and it'll only take a few minutes. After all, the more we know the better, right?"

Kato
2008-04-29, 03:05 PM
He looks the wall and guesses it's size. Then he gently punches Watts and laughs: "Alright, do as you want... but don't expect me to waste a single spell to heal you, if you lose grip and drop from up there."

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 03:13 PM
Watt looks at the man and laughs quietly "If I fall from that wall, you won't need to waste any healing spells - I'll be dead." He grins and steps forward, going to check the base of the wall again.

"Don't worry, though, Selin. I'll only climb if I think I stand a decent chance of making it."

Kato
2008-04-29, 03:33 PM
"Watt, sometimes you're a real pain in the... " He chuckles and sits down under a tree. 'No use going on my own... they'll probably get them in some kind of trouble anyway...' "Just tell me when you guys decided on what to do... I'll just come along then." Closing his eyes, Selin drifts off into slight slumber.

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 04:49 PM
"I don't need a rope to climb. Not if I can get a grip, anyway."

Watt steps forward to the base of the wall and tries to get a feel for the metal. Is the surface clean or battered? Are there indents or marks?

He also looks as high as he can, to the top of the wall, trying to gauge exactly how tall it is. Is it over 100 feet, less, or more?

The surface is very dull - like a copper lamp that no one's cleaned for 20 years.

Now that you look at it, there are a fair few dents - like someone had beaten it with a hammer or thrown rocks at it. You're not sure if they're enough to get a grip on though.

It looks as high as the clouds, if there were clouds.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 04:56 PM
Watt will try and climb 20 feet or so, to see how difficult it is.

Rolling for the Climb Walls Skill

[roll0]

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 04:56 PM
If you want to write something out of character for everyone to read, put spoiler tags around it:

[ s p o i l e r ] like this but without the spaces [ / s p o i l e r ]

If you want to write something to me specifically, or to another player specifically, send a PM.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 05:00 PM
That's a pass according to the tables, do I make it?

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 05:18 PM
You manage to get 20 feet up, although it's very tough going.

Suddenly a voice booms out from the wall, from a few metres to your right.

"Dynnargh dhis! Fatla genes!"

Liadel
2008-04-29, 05:29 PM
Call me crazy, but you might want to jump down, ... now!
The sand should be able to help cushin you, especially if you roll.

Erendale draws his bow and knocks an arrow, looking for any type of threat.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-29, 05:59 PM
Thought I'd posted this

Watt tries to clamber down to a safer height by the route he's come then drop from the wall. If that isn't possible, he drops as safely as he can.

Jolly Steve
2008-04-29, 07:21 PM
Watt drops safely onto the sand.

Liadel
2008-04-29, 07:32 PM
I take it then that I don't see anyone/anything on the wall that could pose a threat?

mingus
2008-04-29, 09:13 PM
Tan readies his sling and searches the wall in both directions, looking for movement, an unusual surface feature, anything that might catch his eye.

Does anyone know what an Ape-Sultan is?

Liadel
2008-04-29, 10:08 PM
All I know is that they are very cruel. There was a referance to them in the game on Jolly Steve's web page. My suggestion, use a subtle combination of caution, dipomacy, and savage warfare.

If we can't find anything on the wall lets check the town.

Jolly Steve
2008-04-30, 02:30 AM
Neither of you can see anything that might have been the origin of the voice.

Jolly Steve
2008-04-30, 02:36 AM
The Ape-Sultans are described as savage, yet bestially intelligent, giant white apes. Centuries ago they arrived from an unknown country they called Barsoom saying, to the puzzlement of all, that the air had run out there.

They waged a great war against the inhabitants of Karth and enslaved them. On their victory they built the great brass wall, and retired behind it, never to emerge.

They're said to have a golden idol of their god, a six-armed ape, installed in a marble temple in the town square.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-30, 06:25 AM
Wish I'd called my character John Carter now.

"I second heading to the village. That wall has me spooked"

mingus
2008-04-30, 08:21 AM
Tan moves as far away from the wall as he can get while still being able to talk to the others.

If something knows we're out here, they may be able to drop something on us. If it's dropped from far enough up the wall, it could be deadly. I think we should stay clear of the wall and head for the village. We need to find that temple.

I chose blue for anything I say in character.

Liadel
2008-04-30, 08:57 AM
If they're expecting us, why didn't they set up a way to get in?

Looks like we check the village.

Erendale puts away his bow and steps back from the wall, still wary of any attackers.

We could also try digging our way in, since sand is easy to dig in, or we could find the resonant frequency of the brass and set of a large vibration at that frequency, or we could ...

I call dark red!

Kato
2008-04-30, 09:29 AM
How long are you going to stare at this stupid wall? Let's just head over to the village. If there's nothing of interest, you may stay at it from there, makes no difference to me...

Selin shakes his head in irritation and hopes his friends will soon lose interest of the damn wall.

Liadel
2008-04-30, 09:51 AM
Since nobody else is taking charge, I walk off towards the village without saying a word.

Kato
2008-04-30, 10:15 AM
'Finally...' Selin agreees in his mind and follows Erendale.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-30, 10:52 AM
Watt falls in with the others and heads off towards the village.

Looks like you were right, Selin. I'm still wondering about that voice, though.

Kato
2008-04-30, 11:28 AM
He looks up the wall and searches for signs of guards patrolling them. Then he looks and Watt and shrugs.
Dunno... maybe it was some magic warning. I don't speak Ape-ian or whatever.
Selin gives him a smile and continues: We might get to know it soon, I think. So don't worry any further.

mingus
2008-04-30, 12:01 PM
Tan follows closely behind the others as they walk towards the village.

So these Ape-Sultans showed up and took over this town Karsh or Karth and built this giant brass wall around it. I'm guessing we need to get in there to find the temple in the town square?

TheCleric
2008-04-30, 02:00 PM
Rorik squinted as he looked upon the wall in the glaring sunlight. His beady little eyes straining to reach the top from underneath the ripped clothes he had tied around his forehead to keep the sun off.
He grinned. Although he hated the sun and the sky and everyone that looked up and saw it instead of cool, dark, soothing earth and roots, he loved shiny things.

And walls were usually built to keep shiny things in, and people like him out.

He was wiping sweat from his brow and nose while circling this great waste of metal when he happened to look upon a few silhouettes in the shimmering distance. Their visages waving like spectres from the visible heat coming off the sands.

Rorik's eyes slitted, his muscles tensed. He shot a quick glance back towards the village he'd seen. Should he run? These could be the beasts that roamed the sands or Gods forbid, this wall.

His hand found it's way to his axe handle like a sow to mud, and he waited as they grew larger and closer...

Jolly Steve
2008-04-30, 02:11 PM
Tan follows closely behind the others as they walk towards the village.

So these Ape-Sultans showed up and took over this town Karsh or Karth and built this giant brass wall around it. I'm guessing we need to get in there to find the temple in the town square?

All of the stories you've heard describe the wall as circling the whole city, and the idol as being inside the city.

PS and fixed spelling..:smallredface:

Jolly Steve
2008-04-30, 02:21 PM
The village is so small, and its huts so ramshackle, that it could almost be a collection of rubbish that happened to be thrown together by the desert wind.

Several thin villagers watch you impassively. Their hands and sky-blue eyes are the only parts of them not robed in coarse cloth. Their weathered hands look more like leather than skin.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-30, 02:31 PM
As he approaches the village, Watt scratches the back of his head and places a hand on his brow, shielding his eyes from the sun.

Wow, this place looks really poor. Whose idea was to come here again?

Kato
2008-04-30, 02:37 PM
Selin looks around the village, noticing nothing but trash and fatigued people. He whispers just loud enough for the group to hear:
Damn it, it seems there are no beauties among the villagers...
Maybe it really was a mistake coming here. I don't expect any wise old man with a mysterious key to the city to pop out of one of these huts...

mingus
2008-04-30, 03:05 PM
Tan approaches the villagers slowly, showing empty palms. He smiles at them and hails them in Common to find out if they understand him.

Can I tell if they're male or female? Any children with them? Can I see any indication of a source of food or water for these people?

Liadel
2008-04-30, 05:12 PM
They appear harmless enough, but I learned long ago not to trust appearances and stay wary of an attack.

If these people are so poor as they seem, they may be willing to kill us for our money.

I also intend to stay out of the diplomacy if possible. Charisma, and people, are not my fortes.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-30, 05:59 PM
As Taric steps in front of us with his hands raised in a gesture of peace, I lean over to the elf and whisper, in mock seriousness:

"I think we should burn this pathetic village to the ground, take their food and torture them until they tell us everything they know about the brass city."

Liadel
2008-04-30, 06:10 PM
If all else fails it is possible.

Its not like people wouldn't do it to us if we had information they needed.

TheCleric
2008-04-30, 07:25 PM
Rorik's muscles relax and his stubby fingers lay off of his weapon. Perhaps they were just apparitions, he wouldn't doubt he'd be seeing things with how long he's been wandering this desert.
Best not to go following visions.
They can lead you to things you don't wanna be around.
Plus if they were traders they wouldn't have anything valuable on them, or not be very good traders at all to risk coming to this place.
There's nothing to be made in the village except curses at whatever Gods could let something as horrible as it exist.
He continued his surveillance.

Kato
2008-05-01, 02:39 AM
Overhearing Watt's plans Selin rolls his eyes.

As much as I appreciate easy solutions to difficult problems... I don't think the riches of this village are even worth the oil to make the fire.

He pulls a silver coin from his wallet and grins widely.

As poor as they are, they'd probably give us all of their belongings for a piece of copper. But to be sure, I think I'll offer one of those. Also the ashes from burning the village will probably get us all dirty, too troublesome. Any complaints? No? Thanks.

He holds up the coin and shuts at the people among them:

Whoever understands what I'm saying: This valuable coin to anyone who tells us, how to get behind these damn wall!

... Subtlety never was Selin's best developed skill.

Liadel
2008-05-01, 10:34 AM
Yay! Someone as subtle as me!

Jolly Steve
2008-05-01, 11:08 AM
Tan approaches the villagers slowly, showing empty palms. He smiles at them and hails them in Common to find out if they understand him.

Can I tell if they're male or female? Any children with them? Can I see any indication of a source of food or water for these people?

The people don't respond to your greeting. They're all tall enough to be adults - gender unknown. You can't see any indication of food or water.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-01, 11:14 AM
Whoever understands what I'm saying: This valuable coin to anyone who tells us, how to get behind these damn wall!

The villagers' eyes widen at the sight of the coin.

They point eagerly towards one of the shacks, which is slightly bigger than the others.

Kato
2008-05-01, 11:38 AM
Piece of cake. Money's the most common language, isn't it?

With a hearty laugh he throws the coin on the ground in front of some villagers. Then he turns towards his fellows.

Alright, first round was on me. But whoever is in this hut, one of you guys will bribe him!

He looks around among the party and the village and waits for any comments.

Hehe... I hope I didn't ruin someone else's plan to get them to talk ^^'

Liadel
2008-05-01, 11:59 AM
Fine, I'll do it.

Erendale takes a silver piece out of his pocket and approaces the indicated shack. If no one stops him, he enters the building.

mingus
2008-05-01, 12:32 PM
Don't be fooled by their response. It's possible they understand everything we're saying. Isn't it curious that they manage to stay alive out here in the middle of nothing? What do they eat?

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-01, 12:59 PM
Keeping his voice low and talking to Selin, Watt whispers:

It wasn't a plan, Selin. It was entertainment.

I'll start to walk towards the hut with Erendale. One hand on my sword hilt, the other on my purse.

Kato
2008-05-01, 01:42 PM
Tan, could you just stop seeing ghouls wherever we go? Remember when came across this graveyard on our way here? We had to make a half days delay cause you were afraid we might be walking into a trap.
Grinning Selin punches the other cleric on his shoulder and then walks to follow Erendale. When he's next to Watt he hears his whispers and responds in a low volume.
Hey, when I say it's a plan, it's a plan.... Haha, and even if it wasn't it got us forward, didn't it?

Reconsidering my stats I wonder... why did I make CHA my dump stat? (no, I didn't want to be like O'Chul... I have to cut back on my actions, I'm afraid ^^***

mingus
2008-05-01, 02:10 PM
I can guess what the queen's reaction would be if we showed up without the idol. I'd rather die here. And it's hardly paranoid to wonder how someone can stay alive out here. They must have some connection to Karth, or they wouldn't be here. At least we seem to be on the right track.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-01, 02:17 PM
I don't know... It seems odd that they would stay here, so close the ape-city, and with no obvious source of food or water if they were from Karth. I think it's more likely they have a connection with the Ape-sultans. I wonder if the villagers know their language?

Kato
2008-05-01, 05:02 PM
Selin talks in a low tone, so as not to be heard by the villagers.
My, my, my... you're all so suspicious... Just because they don't let their food and water lie around in the open but hide it in their tents?
I don't care if they are from Kesh or from the ninth sphere of hell, as long as they help us get into the city. And for a silver coin I expect quite a bit of help, otherwise I'll take back ten times it worth from them.
Anyway... alright... I'll stay outside and keep an eye of them, just in case they are raiders robbing poor travelers to make a life. If they try to get in the tent after you I'll... scream... or something. Then you at least know their up to something...
... on the other hand... will one you fighter guys stay outside with me, just in case they really ARE up to something?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-01, 05:50 PM
The nearest villager makes 'come on' motions, gesturing you towards the shack.

mingus
2008-05-01, 06:42 PM
Tan hangs back with Selin to watch the villagers and the shack entrance.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-01, 06:56 PM
"The nearest villager makes 'come on' motions, gesturing you towards the shack." I find this sentence hilarious.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-02, 04:42 AM
Seeing your hesitation, several villagers go into the shack. After a while they come out, slowly dragging what looks like a horse-drawn carriage - although there are no horses. They open the door and gesture inside.

mingus
2008-05-02, 08:20 AM
I suppose this is our only option.

Tan gets in the carriage.

Liadel
2008-05-02, 09:23 AM
I'll hop in as well. This is our best bet so far.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-02, 10:03 AM
Watt steps in the carriage with the others.

Kato
2008-05-02, 10:48 AM
Selin follows into the hut, leaving the dwarf and fighter outside alone.

Are those two still in the game...?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-02, 09:02 PM
It's surprisingly luxurious. You all easily fit. If not for the small amount of sand on the floor, and what looks like a tradesman's toolbox, you could be sitting in an aristocrat's carriage in a great city.

Your hear an odd squeaking sound, a little bit like a broken music box. Then the carriage starts to rise into the air.

A very pleasant smell, like scented pipe tobacco, starts to fill the carriage.

not sure - hopefully they'll start posting soon...

mingus
2008-05-02, 09:54 PM
Is there a window to look out?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-03, 12:44 AM
There are windows on both sides.

Kato
2008-05-03, 05:45 AM
Selin feels the hut starting to move.

Wow, what's happening here?

Rushing to a window he glares towards the ground.

This... this thing is flying! Either we're gonna be lift over the wall or... we will be crushed to the ground... I think I'll pray for the first *gulp*

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-03, 09:01 AM
The dwarf has already posted twice, I think he's looking for a way to enter into the game? Maybe you should PM him.

Watt leans back into the comfortable seating:

We can't worry about it now, at least. Death or Glory awaits!" He says, caustically.

mingus
2008-05-03, 10:52 AM
Maybe we're about to find out how high that brass wall goes.

Tan moves to the window opposite Selin and looks out.

Kato
2008-05-03, 11:02 AM
Selin walks away from the window and trys to get a hold of something stable.

Hmpf... Seems there can't be anything done about it... Let's hope the best...

Jolly Steve
2008-05-03, 11:32 AM
The tobacco smell is now a little bit too strong to be pleasant.

mingus
2008-05-03, 12:10 PM
I think we need some fresh air in here.

Tan tries to open the window just a little bit.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-03, 09:03 PM
The window isn't built to open.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-03, 09:31 PM
Watt tries to break the carriage window. Failing that, he'll try to stab a hole through the carriage itself.

I don't think will work if we're actually away to get drugged. Anyone able to produce a wet cloth or something? Or any bright ideas at all, really?

Kato
2008-05-04, 02:28 AM
Selin coughs starting too feel dizzy.

Damn, I knew I should have stayed outside...
Get away from the window.

He slams his flail against one of the windows.
(I just hope I won't have to pay for it)

Jolly Steve
2008-05-04, 06:14 AM
You smash one of the windows. A bitterly cold wind fills the carriage. The tobacco smell is now bearable.

TheCleric
2008-05-04, 08:35 PM
I'm not in your gang yet, I was wandering around outside the village looking for to score some treasure in the tower. I figured we'd meet that way and I'd be inducted. I actually began to question if I was playing as well, as the GM hasn't really given me anything to do...
As for the fighter, he's just lazy and slow to post I guess.

mingus
2008-05-04, 09:20 PM
Can we see anything outside the carriage?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-05, 07:50 AM
You all hope the dwarf, who has so far said nothing, is working on a plan to get you out of this.

seamless!

Jolly Steve
2008-05-05, 07:53 AM
Can we see anything outside the carriage?

You can see the desert, of course. You can't see the village - although you'd think you'd be able to from this height. The bronze walls are visible in the distance. They don't look any closer, and you can't see the top of them.

Liadel
2008-05-05, 08:31 AM
Well doesn't this just suck. We are too high to jump and survive, too low to get over the wall, with an open window we are likely to get hypothermia as we continue to climb, and if the window was still intact we would have choked to death on the smoke.

This is the last time I trust a villager who doesn't speak my languages!

Kato
2008-05-05, 11:02 AM
Hmph... I regret giving them the coin...
Can't we... dunno. Climb down on a rope?

Selin leans out of the window and looks disappointed.

Er... looks bad.
Hm... nice knowing you guys. Seems the gods are done with us.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-05, 02:09 PM
You hear what sounds like a human voice, sort of singing, but without words. It seems to be coming from just outside the carriage.

There now seems to be a kind of haze in the carriage.

The bitter wind chills your bones.

everyone loses 1 HP from the cold.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-05, 03:15 PM
I have so little health I feel nervous about that. I'm guessing we're going to shift through the wall here.

mingus
2008-05-05, 09:45 PM
If anyone has a bed roll, try to block the broken window with it. I'll light my lantern for a little heat.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-05, 09:51 PM
Watt shifts his bedroll up against the broken window.

Torches will give out more heat. We can light one of them instead, just be careful with it.

Watt pulls a torch from his backpack.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-06, 06:40 AM
Watt doesn't have a bedroll, but the silent barbarian hands you one.

You don't feel cold any more. In fact, it's very warm. If anything, it could do with being a bit colder.

You hear a noise, as if something was tapping on the outside of the carriage, and a moaning sound - like a wordless human voice.

mingus
2008-05-06, 08:21 AM
Tan puts his lantern away and grabs his mace.

Liadel
2008-05-06, 08:48 AM
Erendale eases his sword in his sheath and looks out the window to try and see what's happening.

Kato
2008-05-06, 10:28 AM
Selin stands back, holding his flail by his side, his eyes focused on the door.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-06, 04:04 PM
Watt shifts his bedroll up against the broken window.

Torches will give out more heat. We can light one of them instead, just be careful with it.

Watt pulls a torch from his backpack.

OK - are you lighting the torch?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-06, 04:06 PM
Erendale eases his sword in his sheath and looks out the window to try and see what's happening.

there are windows on opposite sides of the carriage. The noise is coming from one of the other sides. You don't see anything unusual, just sky, desert and wall as before.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-06, 04:23 PM
All of a sudden the warmth, the haze, and the return of the sickly-sweet smell are unbearable.

The tapping sound gets louder - now it's more like something thumping on the carriage wall. The moaning also gets louder. It sounds desperate, frenzied almost.

The barbarian slumps forward, as if asleep.

Kato, you see four of your companions fall to the floor. Only you and the hardy dwarf can stand the thick atmosphere.

You get a sinking feeling, as if the carriage was descending to the ground.

The smoke is making it hard to see.

Kato
2008-05-06, 05:05 PM
As his companions fall to the floor, Selin tries his best to stay conscious. Then he feels a sudden change in direction, and struggles even more staying on his feet. Not seeing anything, but also with no idea, what to do, he walks tries to get to Watt, who was closest to him, before the smoke got too thick to see.
Carefully kneeling down and shaking the motionless thief, he tries to wake him again.

Watt! Come, on,wake up, bed times over!
I don't know what's going on and I'm not going to fight whatever is lured us into this trap alone!

just tell me, if this is enough to wake him up, please. otherwise I'll... dunno, use a spell, I'll decide it then ^^'

Jolly Steve
2008-05-06, 07:52 PM
You can see that he's conscious and can hear you, but you're not sure what would happen if he tried to get up.

You're both sweating from the heat.

TheCleric
2008-05-06, 08:26 PM
Not exactly the way I was thinking it but I'll work with it!

"Damn! If'n I remembarred getting into this sitiation, I'd be upset!" Rorik wipes his sweating brow and nose with the back of his hand.
"Here boy!" Rorik extends one of his trademark flasks to Selin, already taking a huge swig as soon as he finished his sentence.
"Har's to yer mother! BWAH HA HAH!" The dwarf laughs deep and loud in the hopeless situation.

Kato
2008-05-07, 07:54 AM
Drinking? In a life and death situation such as this?
Hehe, I#ve never known we had so much in common!

Selin takes the flask with a grateful smile and drinks a big swip of the dwarven ale.

Great stuff, thanks a lot!

'Better not tell him I still prefer some sweet elven wine over ale, maybe we'll talk it over, once we're out if here.'

Though, right now we'd better discuss what to do here.
First me thinks, we need to consider, whats happening.
Either this is just the common way to get in the city and we made some kind of mistake, bringing us into this situation.
Or this really is a trap and they are either going to crash us 12 feet deep into the ground or they are waiting down there ready to cut our throats, right?
Right... best thing might be one of us having a look outside... For one thing to guess if we're about to crash or to land. And for the other if there are some rogues waiting for us down there...

Sorry, TC, making you stumble in the action like this ^^'

I talk too much, I know, hehe... sorry

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-07, 10:10 AM
Can I try to move? Can I talk?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-07, 01:17 PM
Can I try to move? Can I talk?

You can certainly try either, but you're not sure whether you can manage it.

So if you do, post "I try to say something" or "I try to get up" for example, before you post what you say or do.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-07, 01:33 PM
The thick smoke stings your eyes, and you feel like you're falling faster.

With a sickening crash, you stop.

One of the doors to the carriage flies open, and you dimly see a human-shaped figure. It wails, as if in terror or anguish. There's no doubt that it's the voice you heard before.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-07, 03:24 PM
I try to get up.

If I manage it, I'll draw my crossbow and move immediately behind the dwarf and cleric.

Kato
2008-05-07, 03:43 PM
Selin coughs trying to get the smoke out of his lungs.

'Either suffocating in here or running into some attackers blade outside... hard decision to be made.'

Carefully he advances towards the door, trying to get a clearer view on the person, especially if he's armed or looking dangerous.

TheCleric
2008-05-07, 03:52 PM
"RAARRRRHGHGHRRRHRGHGH!"

Rorik screams like a madman, as loud as he can and draws his axe! Ready to jump out and split some skulls.

Liadel
2008-05-07, 05:09 PM
I attempt to draw my sword.

mingus
2008-05-07, 07:33 PM
Tan tries to stand up and find his mace.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-08, 12:18 PM
At the dwarf's cry, the figure wails back, and disappears! The smoke pours out into the open air and you see that it hasn't disappeared, it's running away over the sands.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-08, 12:23 PM
I try to get up.

If I manage it, I'll draw my crossbow and move immediately behind the dwarf and cleric.

You manage to do all those things, although the world feels like it's spinning.

you lose 1 HP

Jolly Steve
2008-05-08, 12:26 PM
Tan tries to stand up and find his mace.

I attempt to draw my sword.

You stand up...oh, that wasn't a good idea. You lie down again. That feels much better. Very cozy, just lying here. There's even a fire.

you lose 1 HP each.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-08, 02:00 PM
Watt readies his crossbow at shoulder height and takes a half-step to steady himself as a wave of dizziness comes over him.

"I don't care what the hell that is. Damn freakish ghost..."

He takes aim and fires at the figure running off in the distance.

If I lose 1 more HP, I'd like some kind of curing, please

mingus
2008-05-08, 02:45 PM
Tan tries to crawl out of the carriage, hopefully managing to bring his mace with him.

Kato
2008-05-08, 04:22 PM
I stumble forward outside the carriage and have a look around, while the unknown person runs away.

If I don't see anything suspicious I pull out my sling and take aim for the fleeing man...

Liadel
2008-05-08, 05:30 PM
Erendale tries and crawl out of the carriage-box-thingy. Did you say that there was a fire inside?

For convenience, lets assume that I prepare magic missle as my spell for the day unless I post otherwise. Forgot to say that earlier, sorry!

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 05:58 AM
Watt readies his crossbow at shoulder height and takes a half-step to steady himself as a wave of dizziness comes over him.

He takes aim and fires at the figure running off in the distance.

If I don't see anything suspicious I pull out my sling and take aim for the fleeing man...

You don't see anything suspicious (except a box belching smoke that fell out of the sky), just the desert.

You both hit. The creature falls, apparently dead.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 06:00 AM
Erendale tries and crawl out of the carriage-box-thingy. Did you say that there was a fire inside?

For convenience, lets assume that I prepare magic missle as my spell for the day unless I post otherwise. Forgot to say that earlier, sorry!

You crawl out the, by now, heavily smoking carriage.

And yes, I did.

OK, I've noted that.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 06:02 AM
Tan tries to crawl out of the carriage, hopefully managing to bring his mace with him.

You also manage to drag yourself out of the carriage, bringing your mace.

Kato
2008-05-09, 06:35 AM
Selin turns towards his allies and wonders if any of them needs his aid.

Liadel
2008-05-09, 08:26 AM
I'm down 2 out of 6 hp. I'll need to rest soon but others might need healing more depending on how many spells you can cast.

Erendale moves to investigate the body. Is it human? Is it actually dead? Does it have anything worth taking off its body?

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-09, 08:31 AM
I'm down 2 of 5

Watt reloads his crossbow and then follows Erendale to cover the body as he investigates it.

"See if you can recover my bolt."

mingus
2008-05-09, 08:39 AM
I'm down 2 of 5. You mentioned a box that fell out of the sky. Were you talking about the carriage? If so, I look around to see if I can figure out if we're inside or outside of the brass wall. If it wasn't the carriage you were referring to, I want to go look at that box.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 10:46 AM
I'm down 2 of 5. You mentioned a box that fell out of the sky. Were you talking about the carriage? If so, I look around to see if I can figure out if we're inside or outside of the brass wall. If it wasn't the carriage you were referring to, I want to go look at that box.

Yeah, I just meant the carriage. You're clearly outside of the bronze wall. You can see it in the distance.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 11:00 AM
Erendale moves to investigate the body. Is it human? Is it actually dead? Does it have anything worth taking off its body?

It's dead, and human. It's the villager Selin gave a silver coin to.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 11:04 AM
Current HP by my reckoning, correct me if I'm wrong:

Watt: maximum 5, current 2.

Erendale: maximum 6, current 3.

Tan: maximum 5, current 2.

Rathous: maximum 8, current 8 (but watch this space...).

Selin: maximum 6, current 5.

Rorik: maximum 11, current 10.

mingus
2008-05-09, 12:40 PM
Can we see the village?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-09, 01:16 PM
Can we see the village?

You can see something in the distance which might be the village.

mingus
2008-05-09, 04:07 PM
Tan tries to retrieve the tool box that was in the carriage. If the fire is too hot, he tries to knock it down by throwing sand on it.

Kato
2008-05-09, 04:30 PM
Selin looks angry around, realizing something obviously went horribly wrong.

Did we really just fall a trap so easily? Damn, man, we could have been dead by now!

Looking around while his friends are busy, he keeps an eye open for other dangers.
I'm first level so only one cure spell... hard to decide on which one of the 2hpers I should use it... Any volunteers who'd wait til we rest?

TheCleric
2008-05-09, 05:34 PM
Rorik's of course exited the carriage by now, took his flask from Selin and is standing cross armed facing away from the carriage.
Maybe he's looking out, probably not.
What time of day is it? I'm thinking maybe afternoon or evening. If so we need to get somewhere to sleep. Desert climate at night is almost as bad as the day.

"Make shar yoo get yerr silver piece back lad...We'll have drinks soomtime latar for this poor bastard."

Whom I really see no reason for killing

Liadel
2008-05-09, 06:25 PM
I'm fine till we rest.

Can we break the wall? Or maybe dig under it?

Anyone up for revenge against the village?

Just kidding!

Kato
2008-05-10, 04:52 AM
You're right, Rorik.
Watt, make sure to bring back my money!

Turning towards the village he starts talking to himself.

What was that all about? Is there any meaning to this other than killing us? I can't really figure out, what it really was all about.

Yeah, TC, I'm also not entirely sure, if it was an attempt to kill us and rob our corpses, but the whole thing was just so dangerous and suspicious... So... if he was about to run and get help for finishing us off, it might be the more secure option. I'm sorry if we made a mistake, but I can hardly revive him and ask him about it ^^'

And no, we won't burn the village, Liadel. I already said the ashes 'd ruin my clothes.

mingus
2008-05-10, 11:37 AM
I'll have to talk out of character while I'm busy playing in the burning wreckage. I think the purpose of the carriage was to deliver us to the Ape Sultans in a drugged condition. Breaking the window interrupted the magic and sent us to the ground. The guy riding on top started knocking on the outside after the window was broken. Maybe he was trying to get to that toolbox.

Liadel
2008-05-10, 11:47 AM
We could just try knocking. Any better ideas?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-10, 12:07 PM
Tan tries to retrieve the tool box that was in the carriage. If the fire is too hot, he tries to knock it down by throwing sand on it.

You manage to get the toolbox.

The fire is indeed getting bigger. You dump some sand on it, which helps a bit but doesn't put it out completely.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-10, 12:10 PM
What time of day is it? I'm thinking maybe afternoon or evening. If so we need to get somewhere to sleep. Desert climate at night is almost as bad as the day.

It's getting on for late afternoon. Probably the most bearable part of the day, temperature-wise.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-10, 12:13 PM
Rorik's of course exited the carriage by now, took his flask from Selin and is standing cross armed facing away from the carriage.

As you look out over the desert, you notice something in the distance, other than the bronze wall and the village. It looks a bit bigger, like it could be a town.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-10, 12:45 PM
Watt tries to recover the silver piece and crossbow bolt form the body. If he gets the silver piece, he throws it at the dwarf and says, in dwarvish:

"Rurik! You can keep this - you're the one that'll drink for him."

He searches the body for anything else, as well.

Liadel
2008-05-10, 01:38 PM
If we can't find anything else at hand, Erendale strikes out towards the village.

This town can't be worse than the last. Who knows, they might even speak an understandable language.

Kato
2008-05-10, 02:59 PM
Selin nods towards the elf.

Probably the best decision...
If there aren't any important things left to do, I'd go there as well...

I've still have my 'Cure Light Wounds'... whoever shouts first will get it ^^

mingus
2008-05-10, 03:32 PM
Selin, I can heal myself if you want to take care of Watt.

Tan casts Cure Light Wounds on himself.

[roll0]

Then, assuming any traps would have been set off by either the fall or the fire, Tan opens the tool box.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-10, 05:50 PM
Watt tries to recover the silver piece and crossbow bolt form the body.

He searches the body for anything else, as well.

You get the crossbow bolt, but you can't find the silver piece. In fact the body (which turns out to be male) doesn't have anything other than its clothes. Checking the corpse's mouth for gold fillings or similar, you notice he has no tongue.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-10, 06:08 PM
Then, assuming any traps would have been set off by either the fall or the fire, Tan opens the tool box.

The box contains a flask, a pair of handcuffs, and a bronze disk. The disk looks like a coin, but far bigger. One side's blank. The other side has a picture engraved in it. It's of a head with no body, and lines coming out of it from all directions. The face is done fairly realistically, except for the shape of the head - it's almost perfectly round.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-10, 06:15 PM
Watt pulls up from the body and replaces the bolt in its case.

"There's some creepy stuff going on here. He didn't have the silver piece, Selin - you'll just have to cope with the loss."

Watt takes a silver piece from his coin purse and throws it to the dwarf, shouting to catch his attention.

"<Rorik! Drink on this if you actually care. Don't get sentimental, though, there's nothing normal about this situation.>"

"I guess we should head towards the town. Let's put the body in the carriage - we can hope this wierdness burns away with the flames"

I'm using <> to denote Dwarvish from now on.

mingus
2008-05-10, 07:00 PM
Tan calls to the others to show them what he found. He checks the tool box for hidden compartments.

Liadel
2008-05-10, 08:36 PM
Could the bronze disk let us get through the bronze wall?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-11, 11:04 AM
Tan calls to the others to show them what he found. He checks the tool box for hidden compartments.

You can't find any. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that one could be anyway.

Kato
2008-05-11, 11:05 AM
Selin first takes care of Watt casting his spell and healing
1d6 +1 hp. (what the...? why wont it work? -.-'')

Hope you feel better now, hehe...

Then he walks of towards the others and has a look into the chest.

Oh, as it seems he was about to catch us... Or he wanted to do some naughty stuff using those handcuffs... hehe.
Also this disk seems to be some childish sketch of a sun, don't you think? Maybe you're right, Erendale, maybe it's some kind of key and we need to find a fitting keyhole in the wall...

Watt, you may want to tell us of the missing tongue... or you wanna keep this a secret not to frighten us? :smalltongue:

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-11, 11:11 AM
Watt drags the body by the arms towards the burning carriage.

"He's been mutilated - no tongue. But he didn't talk, did he? Maybe none of them have tongues.

Maybe you're right Selin. Could be some kind of sun. I guess your coin might have looked like a moon.

I wonder if we should go back to the village. This guy, and the carriage, and the wierd disk and handcuffs... It doesn't seem like something they'd construct on their own."

Liadel
2008-05-11, 03:12 PM
Ya, returning is all fine and dandy. However, they think that we're dead, and we killed one of their villagers. Any ideas on how to explain that to a barbaric group of humans who don't speak our languages and who cut out the tongues of their own people?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-11, 03:42 PM
Selin first takes care of Watt casting his spell and healing
[roll0]

[roll1]

Hm...not sure why yours didn't work.

mingus
2008-05-11, 04:04 PM
I can't heal again today. Maybe we should check out the town and see if we can find a place to rest.

Kato
2008-05-11, 04:44 PM
Yeah... I'll second the 'rest in town idea.'
Though... Maybe tomorrow one of us could try disguising in this cloak... With a little luck he could sneak among the villagers and... Hm... I suppose none of you is willing to let me cut his tongue, hehe...
Maybe we should talk about this tomorrow...

the game hates me, hehe...

The Fighter
2008-05-11, 04:53 PM
((sorry for not being here i've had alot of real life stuff to deal with and I really couldn't get online for a while I'm gonna catch upon whats going on and post.))

The Fighter
2008-05-11, 04:58 PM
Rathous tries to wiggle his big toe.

Liadel
2008-05-12, 12:08 AM
The town sound's good for now. We can return tomorrow and try new ideas.

Erendale starts off towards the village.

TheCleric
2008-05-12, 02:35 AM
And I was planning on being the bad guy in the group of good guys! :smallbiggrin:

Rorik catches the coin and habitually tries to bend it with his teeth.
<"Dwarfs doont know tha meanin of tha word 'sentee-mental!">

The surly Dwarf kicks Rathous to wake him.
"OI! GET UP! We got work t' do tonight lad. Thar'll be planty of time t' lie doon when wa're dead tomorra."

If he can't get up I'm gonna pour some liquor on his face. Dwarven Brew would wake the dead! Who would then be pissed because it tastes so strong.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-12, 06:46 AM
Rathous, you regain consciousness. You notice that everyone's left the carriage, and that it (and everyone's stuff) is on fire.

you've lost 2 HP.

mingus
2008-05-12, 12:01 PM
Bummer. Guess I need to keep a better eye on my backpack. Is there any chance of saving anything? If not, I guess the town is our best chance. We're going to need food.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-12, 12:49 PM
Bummer. Guess I need to keep a better eye on my backpack. Is there any chance of saving anything? If not, I guess the town is our best chance. We're going to need food.

It's not ashes yet. You could have a go at trying to grab stuff.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-12, 02:28 PM
Watt will push the body into the flames and then try to retrieve his own backpack. He'll help anyone who needs to get their stuff, as well.

Has anyone got any water?

mingus
2008-05-12, 10:24 PM
I'll give you a hand, Watt. We might need to save our water for drinking.

Tan checks to be sure the items from the tool box are secure in his belt pouch, then helps Watt pull anything that can be saved from the burning carriage. Whatever is on fire he buries in sand.

Liadel
2008-05-12, 11:34 PM
Erendale attempts to retrieve his bag from the fire.

Am I right to assume that my sword and bow are OK because they are worn?

Kato
2008-05-13, 02:16 AM
Selin tries to aid as well. pulling everything he can grab out of the carriage.

No water, sorry...
And I hardly doubt my ink'd do any good.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-13, 12:10 PM
After some scrambling and burnt fingers, you survey the damage.

Your weapons and armour are all OK.

It looks like Rorik and Rathous' packs took the worst of it. Rathous had 10 pints of oil, and it's exploded.

Rathous' crowbar is OK, being metal. The head of his spade is the only other thing that survived.

Likewise, Rorik's flasks and the metal head of his pick survived.

Selin still has his lantern, rope, and ink.

Erendale's rations have been 'cooked', and half of his spellbook is burnt. Luckily, it's the blank half.

Watt's torches have been burnt. Other than that his stuff is OK.

Tan's flint and steel is OK, as is his waterskin. The holy water in his flask has boiled away, but the flask is OK. His trail rations are dry and leathery already, so burning them isn't going to make a lot of difference. And for some reason his sack has survived (though not his backpack, or the smaller sack). His wooden holy symbol is ashes, as is his backpack.

The fire's still burning.

mingus
2008-05-13, 04:28 PM
The holy symbol I was wearing around my neck is ashes? Ouch! Does my new scar qualify as my holy symbol now?

Liadel
2008-05-13, 08:55 PM
How long would it take to transcribe each of my spells into a new spell book if I bought one?

When you say my rations are burnt, does that mean that they are still eatable/nutritious?

Anyone got a marshmellow?

We may as well head into town to rest up and restock. Lets head back tomorrow.

The Fighter
2008-05-13, 09:09 PM
Rathous rejoices over the fact that his crowbar is intact as well as his sword, how ever the loss of his supplies leaves him worried.

mingus
2008-05-13, 09:55 PM
You're a good man, Rathous.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-14, 01:57 AM
The holy symbol I was wearing around my neck is ashes? Ouch! Does my new scar qualify as my holy symbol now?

in that case, you still have your holy symbol...

Jolly Steve
2008-05-14, 01:59 AM
[spoiler]How long would it take to transcribe each of my spells into a new spell book if I bought one?

When you say my rations are burnt, does that mean that they are still eatable/nutritious?

It'd take several hours.

Your rations are still edible & nutritious.

mingus
2008-05-14, 09:01 AM
Tan searches in every direction, on the ground and in the sky, to see if anything has been attracted by the fire.

If we've salvaged everything we can, I guess we should go investigate that town.

If he sees nothing approaching, and if everyone agrees, Tan starts walking towards the town.

Liadel
2008-05-14, 09:13 AM
Erendale follows Tan towards town.

Kato
2008-05-14, 11:16 AM
Selin follows as well, keeping an eye on the surroundings.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-14, 12:42 PM
You head towards the town.

As you get closer, it heads towards sunset, and starts to get colder.

As it gets darker, you'd expect to see some light from lanterns or candles in the town, but there aren't any.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-14, 12:46 PM
Someone needs to carry Rathous' crowbar (and the head of his spade if he wants it), Selin's lantern, rope and ink, and Rorik's pick head if he wants it. Or Watt could lend a couple of you a sack.

TheCleric
2008-05-14, 05:33 PM
Nah I'll leave it, it was for digging visible gems and ores from the earthy parts of an underground labyrinth, not much use in a desert. I'll come along with the other guys towards that town I saw. They might have a garden I could sleep in. They'd HAVE to have a garden in the desert....wouldn't they? But how would they grow it in these water challenged areas...Never mind my prattling.
I'm gonna go sleep in a garden.

Rorik empties his first flask for the trip. Letting it drip above his tongue.
<"Goona be a long trip if I can't get me some more ale."> He thinks to himself.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-14, 05:35 PM
Watt will give out a sack to anyone who needs to stuff, but suggest it all be put in one and that we share carrying it to the town.

<"How much are you planning to drink during this trip, Rorik? I need you to be standing to hide behind you in a fight.">

TheCleric
2008-05-14, 05:53 PM
<"Tha fact I know where I am, is testament, that I haven't drank enough!">
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Liadel
2008-05-14, 06:07 PM
What happened to Erendale's rope and grappling hook
Great, another bizarre occurance. Why can't people act normally and predictably? (in response to the town, not the dwarf)

Jolly Steve
2008-05-14, 06:45 PM
What happened to Erendale's rope and grappling hook

It's fine, it's in your sack with the half-burned spellbook.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-14, 08:14 PM
Watt looks at the laughing dwarf and says, deadpan:

<"Okay, dwarf. As long as you remember to drunkenly stumble in front of whatever sword swings my way, I'll support you in drinking as much as you want. Hell, maybe we can even steal some gold together. You dwarves like gold, right?">

Kato
2008-05-15, 12:17 AM
Listening to Watt Selin double checks the pouch with his money...

It's not as if I don't like a good drinking, but the world is dangerous here around... and a drunken fighter is a useless fighter. Better staying alive with a clear mind then dying with a drunken, right, lads?

Then he turns his attention towards Erendale.

Who knows what these people think... Though... robbing helpless passerbys is not an uncommon act for poor people like them, is it? I'm afraid we were a little too naive with them...

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-15, 01:13 AM
Out of interest, how many people can understand Dwarvish in this party? Cause I've been talking in it.:smalltongue:

Kato
2008-05-15, 08:04 AM
Oh, my bad... forgot... but I still have a language I have to decide on... gotta think what'd fit my character...

Liadel
2008-05-15, 08:44 AM
As we draw near the town, Erendale cautiously watches for any hostile movement. Or any movement for that matter.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-15, 03:41 PM
Out of interest, how many people can understand Dwarvish in this party? Cause I've been talking in it.:smalltongue:

from now on, everyone's speaking Common unless you specifically say so.:smallsmile:

Jolly Steve
2008-05-15, 03:46 PM
As we draw near the town, Erendale cautiously watches for any hostile movement. Or any movement for that matter.

You see neither movement nor light.

The houses are almost identical. As far as you can see the only difference is size. They're cube-shaped, made out of some kind of mud. None seem to have windows. The doors are large and made of metal.

Liadel
2008-05-15, 05:26 PM
Well, the lack of windows would account for the lack of light if everyone is inside.

Erendale looks for any distinguishing signs such as an inn or a place to spend the night.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-15, 05:41 PM
from now on, everyone's speaking Common unless you specifically say so.:smallsmile:

I did, to be fair. I said <> was going to denote Dwarvish from now on.

Watt will carry his crossbow again and follow behind Erendale.

mingus
2008-05-15, 10:38 PM
We need to find a place to rest. Should we yell? Walk up to a door and knock? All these buildings look the same to me.

Kato
2008-05-16, 01:39 AM
I think it's hard to tell them apart... Aren't there some... signs or something on the outside, anything which might indicate an inn or alike?
It's probably one of the bigger cubes... We'd probably have to knock on one of the doors.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-16, 06:27 PM
The doors have detailed engravings on them, but you can't tell what they're meant to mean. Each door seems to be covered in pictures: on a single door you see people, animals, ships, wheat, and patterns that don't seem to represent anything.

It's also very quiet. In fact the only thing you can hear, apart from the ever-present wind of the desert, is the distant sound of a dog barking.

It's getting dark very quickly.

Liadel
2008-05-16, 11:07 PM
Erendale knocks on the nearest door with a picture of people on it.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-17, 11:01 AM
Erendale knocks on the nearest door with a picture of people on it.

The door opens. A skeleton stands in the doorway.

Liadel
2008-05-17, 11:25 AM
Erendale reaches to draw his sword.

Who are you, and what are you

mingus
2008-05-17, 01:25 PM
Tan grabs his holy symbol and prepares to Turn Undead if the skeleton moves.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-17, 02:03 PM
The skeleton looks at the holy symbol. His eyes would probably widen if he had eyes or skin.

"Oh no - TOMB ROBBERS!" he shouts in a frightened voice.

He slams the door shut.

Anyone who wants to can try to do something before the door shuts.

Liadel
2008-05-17, 02:51 PM
Erendale slides his sword between the door and the doorframe, preventing it from closing to.

We have no intention of robbing you, we were only taken by surprise.

How does a skeleton shout if it has neither lungs nor vocal cords?

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-17, 02:51 PM
Genius! I'm so tempted to resolve this with another crossbow shot, but I'll try to be more diplomatic.

Watt leaps forward, attempting to prevent the skeleton from shutting the door, shouting:

"We're not robbers, we just need your help!"

mingus
2008-05-17, 03:47 PM
Tan desperately wants to destroy this disgusting thing, but the voice makes him hesitate. He hides the holy symbol in his hand and holds back, waiting to see what happens.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-18, 02:20 AM
Incidentally, you all noticed that the skeleton's pelvic structure was male. That's why I said 'he'.:smallredface:

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-18, 02:35 AM
Of course. Who doesn't check out the pelvic structure of any fine lookin' skeletons that pass by?

TheCleric
2008-05-18, 02:37 AM
Ock! Skeleton crotch! And everyone knows skeletons can talk, it's one of the many wonders of horrible mistress nature. Like how they can stand without muscles and the like. Let's not kill this guy, I bet he wears a lil hat and tie!:smallbiggrin:

Rorik ceases picking his nose when he sees what's behind door number one.
He stops everything actually, and then when movement returns to his short body it's in the form of a big swig.
"Looks like thar's nothin' here! Time to go!"

The more perceptive can sense a tinge of EXTREME un-comfortability in the Dwarf's spattered words.

Kato
2008-05-18, 03:09 AM
Wow... I didn't know Selin was this good in anatomy ^^
Anyway, i like the idea of a town full of (friendly?) skeletons, hehe...

D'oh!
Tan, you have frightened our new... friend... or something!
Selin yells at his fellow cleric. Then continues to whisper.
At least friend until we get to know where this 'tomb' is, he doesn't want us to rob, hehe...

Then turning towards Roric he tries to stop the dwarf, but due to his lack of strength is dragged along.
Roric, don't you tell me you are afraid of a dumb skeleton... It's just a bunch of bones... kept alive by the most unholy kind of magic... What would you're fellow dwarfs say, if they saw you running away like... like... *whisper* an elf?

TheCleric
2008-05-18, 03:29 AM
"They'd prolly tell me ta roon fastar from this un-natural monstar! Und ta shake off the daft fool what wants ta' keep company with it."

For your sake we'll assume you're grabbing an arm or shoulder, and not the beard. :smallbiggrin:

"Besides, The Shortbeards doon't fear anythin'. Anythin' fears us! I joost 'respect this gentleman's privacy'...."

He shakes Selin off, and stands where he's stopped, a few feet away from the hellions that are his comrades.

Kato
2008-05-18, 03:44 AM
Do I appear this suicidal to you? ^^

Alright... then respect as much as you want...
Maybe we'll later have a look aorund for a wizard, who has some bravery left for you... :smalltongue:

Turning his attention towrds the house again he pulls open the door, Erendale stopped from closing.

My dear undead friend, we don't want you any harm. We just seek out a place to rest... Not forever in peace, but for a short while. Don't mind my friend cleric, he's a little overcautious when it comes to your kind. I promise he won't turn any undead... unless he wants to feel my flail dropped on his feet.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-18, 04:59 PM
How does a skeleton shout if it has neither lungs nor vocal cords?

You suspect magic.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-18, 05:03 PM
Liadel's sword clangs against the door. The skeleton wails.

He looks at Watt and Selin as they make their pitch.

"Well...all right then. I don't know. How would I know? I'm dead."

You hear noises coming from the other houses. Some of the doors start to open.

Liadel
2008-05-18, 05:36 PM
Erendale withdraws his sword, but doesn't sheath it.

Kato
2008-05-19, 01:54 AM
Selin looks around an skeletons seem to appear from all directions. A little fear dwells from the depths of his heart and he checks is his flail is still in place.

I'm very grateful for your trust, my dear friend.

With a slight bow he thanks the skeleton.

So... does any of these buildings happen to be an inn or the like?

Jolly Steve
2008-05-19, 07:45 AM
"No...no, no inns here."

"IT'S ALL RIGHT!" he shouts to the many skeletons who have entered the street.

"FALSE ALARM! SORRY!"

The skeletons grumble and shut their doors.

You hear dogs barking again, but louder this time.

Liadel
2008-05-19, 08:15 AM
So, you guys are guarding something. Thats interesting, but I imagine that it can get preaty boring after the first few decades. Is there anywhere that we could go to spend the night, or if not is there anywhere that we should not try to go.

mingus
2008-05-19, 03:01 PM
Tan tucks his holy symbol away and grabs his mace. He turns to try to see where the barking is coming from.

TheCleric
2008-05-19, 10:16 PM
Seems like our friend Mingus expects some sort of dog attack, from my position slightly further down thew way, can I see anything?
[roll0]
If there's a Spot check. I also have Darkvision, 60 feet I believe. If that factors in.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-20, 04:01 AM
So, you guys are guarding something. Thats interesting, but I imagine that it can get preaty boring after the first few decades. Is there anywhere that we could go to spend the night, or if not is there anywhere that we should not try to go.

The skeletons make no reply.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-20, 04:04 AM
A pack of jackals appears from around the corner.

Liadel
2008-05-20, 08:26 AM
Appears as in materializes out of thin air, as in walked around the corner, or as in their charging for our throats?

Regardless, Erendale draws his sword and prepares to cast magic missle if any of them approach with hostility.

mingus
2008-05-20, 02:41 PM
Tan steps towards the jackals with mace and shield ready.

Can we tell how big the pack is?

Kato
2008-05-20, 02:46 PM
Selin readies his flail and had a look around, if there are jackals coming from other directions as well.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-20, 11:34 PM
Appears as in materializes out of thin air, as in walked around the corner, or as in their charging for our throats?

They walk around the corner.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-20, 11:35 PM
Selin readies his flail and had a look around, if there are jackals coming from other directions as well.

You can't see any.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-20, 11:49 PM
Can we tell how big the pack is?

Looks like there's about six of them.

TheCleric
2008-05-21, 01:59 AM
"WAAAOOOOOOOOOO!" Rorik explodes into the quiet night air with his blood scream, drawing his axe (first move action?) and charging down the street (second move action, and as close as I can get with my given base land speed if it's not close enough to attack.)

Kato
2008-05-21, 06:03 AM
Selin moves forward to stand as close to Rorik as possible, so they can support each other. If I am close enough to attack, I'll try.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-21, 09:44 AM
Watt, I need to know what you're doing before I can give you guys the next bit.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-21, 01:59 PM
Sorry, wanted to see your replies before I posted, but wasn't able to get on till now. Considering that I've got it out, I'll shoot wiht the crossbow, unless anyone is eager that I don't.

Watt stares at the furthest jackal and takes a shot at it.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-22, 12:50 AM
"WAAAOOOOOOOOOO!" Rorik cries, and runs at the jackals as fast as his stumpy little legs will carry him.

Rathous also screams and charges into the fray. A jackal leaps at his throat. They meet with a crash, and fall to the ground in a frenzy of fang and sword.

A jackal eyes up Erendale. Erendale raises his hands and for a second it's as bright as day. A magic missile hits the jackal, who howls and retreats.

"WAAAOOOO." Rorik rests for a minute, then continues charging and screaming.

Three jackals jump to the aid of their companion. They fall on the barbarian, and their fangs quickly find a gap in his armour, and his throat.

Erendale, distracted, doesn't notice the other jackal leaping at him. Watt shoots his crossbow, but the bolt whistles just over his head. The jackal knocks the elf to the ground, and he too breathes his last.

In shock, Tan and Selin's weapons find nothing but the night air.

"waaaaooooooo". Rorik reaches the jackals. He swings his axe feebly at one, which leaps nimbly out of the way.

OK - the two of you whose characters died, roll up a new character in the interest thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78596), and I'll work them back in once you're done.

mingus
2008-05-22, 08:27 AM
Tan moves to protect the nearest body from the jackals.

Kato
2008-05-22, 11:33 AM
Erendale!!! Rathous!!!Selin also leaps forward, swinging his flail towards the jackal which attacks Erendale.

Oh my... already two of us died... that's bad -.-***

Anyway, I think I need to roll, right?
So, let's try if it works this time
[roll0]
And in case I hit for my heavy flail [roll1] for damage

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-22, 07:57 PM
Before we act, can you give us an approximation of our location in relation to the jackals and the enviroment?

TheCleric
2008-05-22, 10:35 PM
I was actually going to kill Rathous later tonight (in game night) and take his stuff, but that'll do.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-23, 07:41 AM
Before we act, can you give us an approximation of our location in relation to the jackals and the enviroment?

Basic D&D is much less precise about things like that compared to d20. You're on a street, houses on either side, it's pretty wide - back the way you came it's open desert. Everyone else is close to the jackals because they struck with a hand-to-hand weapon, you're not because you shot your crossbow.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-23, 09:15 AM
Okay, I was hoping I could grab Erendale's bow and quiver before doing this but I guess I can't. I'm going to climb up the wall of the nearest house so I can shoot from the roof in a safe position. I think other people should try to barricade themselves behind something or move into a house, so that they only have to fight a few at a time.

Climbing roll
[roll0]

EDIT: Which is a success, by the book.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-23, 11:35 AM
You can try and grab any equipment from either of them.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-23, 12:29 PM
But not without placing myself under serious threat from the jackals, I presume. Given that I currently have 4 health, not a great idea. If I run out of ammo, I can always try for a distraction and grab later.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-24, 02:30 AM
Tan approaches Rathous' body. The three jackals standing over it howl at him. They lunge. Tan butts two of them away with his shield, but the third bites into his leg. Tan brings his mace down, but the jackal is too quick.

the jackal hit for 2 damage, putting you on 3 HP.

Watt nimbly climbs up one of the houses and on to the roof, avoiding the jackal snapping at his heels. He looks down on the chaos.

Rorik and Selin face the remaining jackals. Rorik darts forward, surprisingly qauickly, and just nicks one's leg.

Kato
2008-05-24, 06:34 AM
Selin again advances towards one of the jackals.

Let's hope for better rolls this time...
[roll0]
And hoping I'll hit... [roll1] damage

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-24, 12:22 PM
Given that I'm on the roofs already, I'm going to move to get as close and clear a shot as I can at the 3-on-1 fight and attempt to shoot one of the jackals.

[roll0]
[roll1]

mingus
2008-05-24, 11:25 PM
Tan stands his ground.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jolly Steve
2008-05-25, 07:39 PM
One jackal stands barking up at Watt, frantically trying to find a way on to the roof.

The other jackals suddenly get quieter, and more calculating.

Tan holds the three jackals at bay, neither side managing to find an opening.

The two remaining jackals stare unmoving at Selin and Tan. They look like greyhounds about to race.

Watt's crossobow bolt thuds into the dirt.

Rorik is distracted for a second, and a greyhound jumps forward, biting into his leg.

for 4 damage, leaving 6 HP.

mingus
2008-05-25, 09:35 PM
Tan tries to yell over the jackal's barking.

This isn't going very well. Maybe we should try to get inside.

Tan makes a fighting retreat toward the building with the talking skeleton.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kato
2008-05-26, 09:16 AM
Do you expect this cowardly skeleton to open the door for us? Anyway, things can hardly get worse.

Selin again attacks a jackal ([roll0] [roll1]) and then steps backwards towards the building.

Jolly Steve
2008-05-26, 11:43 AM
I'll wait a little while for the others to post.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-26, 01:14 PM
Watt steps lightly to the edge of the roof, making certain of sure footing, before reloading and taking another shot at the barking jackal below.

"Things can always get worse, Selin! Some cover is better than none at all."

Come on, let's try and actually hit something this time. I've got a +3 bonus, it shouldn't be that hard.

[roll0]
[roll1]

By my working, I should have 7 shots left now, seeing as I recovered the very first one. Is this correct?

Kato
2008-05-26, 01:36 PM
What the...? What's with those d20s? I didn't get a 10 til now and Watt gets a 19 ^^' dice hate me!!!!