PDA

View Full Version : Any experts on Vampire: The Masquerade?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-29, 12:08 PM
I'm lookin' into joining the play by post VtM game that is formulating and its been quite a while since I've done any good world of darkness stuff... anyone here an expert on the subject? Specifically, any experts on Ventrue and the clan history?

I shall pay you in cookies and beer. Or cookies made out of beer. :smallbiggrin:

FatherMalkav
2008-04-29, 12:15 PM
<-----
Points to Name

Sure, anything specific or just a general overview?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-29, 12:17 PM
I'll take this to PM so as to not clutter the forum. :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-04-29, 12:24 PM

Trusting a Malkav now? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, here's what Clan Google has to say on the matter... here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventrue) and there (http://cam-wiki.org/index.php/Ventrue).

SamTheCleric
2008-04-29, 12:26 PM
Trusting a Malkav now? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, here's what Clan Google has to say on the matter... here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventrue) and there (http://cam-wiki.org/index.php/Ventrue).

I've seen both of those... but they just aren't specific enough for my needs, though they did help. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe I just need to find a used copy of the ventrue clanbook :)

Better to trust a malkavian then to turn your back to one.

FatherMalkav
2008-04-29, 02:12 PM
The second link is to the new World of Darkness, 'nuff said.

No go on and turn your back, I won't do nothin', promise.:belkar:

Lokey
2008-04-29, 06:41 PM
I've found the clan books less than impressive. That said, I know Ventrue is better than Gangrel, that one was just awful.

rockdeworld
2008-04-29, 07:52 PM
If you're talking about the WoD-themed one, my friend GMed and one of his players apparently found out the key to maximizing damage (as a vampire). IIRC:
(1) Max Strength and Weapon Mastery (or other combat-related skills)
(2) Use Resilience for immunity to damage
(3) Use the polymorph ability to grow claws, then wings
(4) Use Celerity and Vigor
Then you can attack for 10 dice of damage (the max). That was according to how he played at least.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-29, 08:06 PM
I've found the clan books less than impressive. That said, I know Ventrue is better than Gangrel, that one was just awful.

I was pretty fond of the Malkavian Clanbook, back when I was a V:tM regular. An entertaining read, and some good information on obscure Malkavian topics like the Madness Web.

EvilElitest
2008-04-29, 08:30 PM

Please say it here, i'm interested in the game, but i don't know anyone who plays
from
EE

EvilElitest
2008-04-29, 08:32 PM

Please say it here, i'm interested in the game, but i don't know anyone who plays
from
EE

SamTheCleric
2008-04-29, 08:43 PM
Oh, I was just asking questions regarding Ventrue cities around the 17th century... and advice on writing a background story that didn't stop on the toes of the Metaplot.

I love the old World of Darkness. Never had a chance to get into the new one, no one I know cares for it.

comicshorse
2008-04-29, 08:43 PM
Ah the Ventrue, truely the sneakiest and most manipilative clan. A friend of mine had this theory that the Sabbat were a Ventrue plot to get rid of the clans most likely to challenge their leadership in the Camrilla ( the Lasombra and the Tszimisce) and simultaneously give them an enemy to unite the rest of the Camarilla against ( under their leadership naturally)

If you're talking about the WoD-themed one, my friend GMed and one of his players apparently found out the key to maximizing damage (as a vampire). IIRC:
Then you can attack for 10 dice of damage (the max). That was according to how he played at least.

Was there a D20 Vampire cause otherwise I have no idea what your friend was talking about.
Though I can't help feeling if he created a character for maximising damage he was kind of missing the point

Wraith_Lord
2008-04-30, 07:30 AM
Maybe it's just me but I still think the Ravnos are the most fun to play as... you have a license - and are even expected - to play the self-centred ******* and animalism and chimestry are two of the most versaitle disciplines in the game!

captainkubrik
2008-04-30, 08:10 AM
Ah the Ventrue, truely the sneakiest and most manipilative clan. A friend of mine had this theory that the Sabbat were a Ventrue plot to get rid of the clans most likely to challenge their leadership in the Camrilla ( the Lasombra and the Tszimisce) and simultaneously give them an enemy to unite the rest of the Camarilla against ( under their leadership naturally)

Was there a D20 Vampire cause otherwise I have no idea what your friend was talking about.
Though I can't help feeling if he created a character for maximising damage he was kind of missing the point

I believe that he's talking about the newest version of V:tM, Vampire: the Requiem, a mostly different game with different enough systems.

CTG
2008-04-30, 08:21 AM
I believe that he's talking about the newest version of V:tM, Vampire: the Requiem, a mostly different game with different enough systems.

Actually yea, clairification on which Ventrue you want, the Masquerade or the Requiem kind?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-30, 08:23 AM
Well... the thread is asking for experts on V:tM... :smallwink:

I know next to nothing about Requim.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-30, 12:49 PM

Yeah, but that's completely missing the point of Vampire. Such brutes never wield real power, they only think they do.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-30, 01:14 PM
It can still be fun to play such a deluded guy though, Kurald. After all playing the dawning realization that you are just a tool could be a fun experience.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-30, 01:15 PM
VtR larps are broken. Nothing says suck like a high MC meatbag with a spear. Torpor or run are your only options at that point.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-30, 01:17 PM
the dawning realization that you are just a tool

This made me laugh. Way to go :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-30, 01:22 PM
VtR larps are broken. Nothing says suck like a high MC meatbag with a spear. Torpor or run are your only options at that point.

Thats nothing new. WoD LARP has been broken since Old World Changeling.

CTG
2008-04-30, 01:42 PM
Well... the thread is asking for experts on V:tM... :smallwink:

That's what I thought, Requium was popping up and threw me for a loop. Honestly, there is a LOT of information available for VtM, and it changes with ever book White Wolf released.

Honestly, your best bet is to hit google, read the free stuff and then fill in the rest on your own.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-30, 01:45 PM
I've slowly been sponging in all the info I can aquire using Google-Fu... Just wanted to find the gurus for more specific questions.

I mean, its not very likely that I'll find out if the great fire in Prague was a result of Hunters, Vampires or other supernaturals just by using Google.

(Oh, and if someone could tell me if there's any White Wolf source on the fire of Prague in the early 1700's, that'd be great)

CTG
2008-04-30, 01:53 PM
Books on Pragure I'm not sure, if I recall correctly, it was caused by Hunters, so it would most likely be the dark ages Hunter books, but I don't think there is one.

WoD is one of the systems I am more familiar with, although my info is muddled with OWbN info as well, so if you have questions, I'm willing to help if I can, or at least point you int he right direction.

Attilargh
2008-04-30, 02:01 PM
Books on Pragure I'm not sure, if I recall correctly, it was caused by Hunters, so it would most likely be the dark ages Hunter books, but I don't think there is one.
It's called Dark Ages: Inquisitor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages:_Inquisitor). Don't know about the contents, though.

Selrahc
2008-04-30, 03:31 PM

So his way to maximize combat effectiveness is to buy all the combat related powers?

Genius :smallsigh:

Aside from the fact that this is a requiem character in a Masquerade thread, its not really that clever a feat of optimisation to max out all combat abilities, since it will take you a fricking age in experience.

Oh, and *protean* does not let you grow wings(Without a specific devotion) it lets you turn into a creature, you are probably thinking of melee rather than weapon mastery, resilience does not give you immunity to damage, and 10 dice of damage isn't(Anywhere near) the max.

comicshorse
2008-04-30, 06:43 PM
When playing a Ventrue you always have to remember most clans have good reasons to hate you.
The Brujah will hate you for Carthage.
The Toreador will hate you for constant english invasions of their heartland, France.
The Tszimisce hate you for the Teutonic Knights.
The Lasombra hate you for the Spanish Armada.
The Assamites hate you for leading the clans in the war that defeated them.
ETC
You will notice the common thread in all this. They hate you because they LOST !
Remember their hatred is just because they know deep down how they were crushed by their superiors and it burns them with hatred and bile everyday. Always hold this comforting thought close to your heart and you will maintain the air of calm superiority and natural leadership that just drives the other clans nuts

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-30, 11:42 PM
Nicely said, comicshorse.

I'd like to add, though: Malkavians don't hate you.

It won't stop us from sticking a dagger in your back if we feel like it, of course. But we won't hate you when we do it.

Quincunx
2008-05-01, 07:19 AM
If you're going that far forward in history, it might be worthwhile to look at the Victorian Age Vampire hard-cover supplement. I remember one chapter devoting a few paragraphs to the vampire status of each of the major cities in Europe as a 'tour of the continent'.