PDA

View Full Version : MARVEL VS. DC - This time it's football!

ravenkith
2008-04-29, 12:44 PM
Ok, so my brain is a horribly twisted place.

I DVR'd the latest incarnation of the Spiderman cartoon, mainly because I wondered how they were going to update the legend to try and get in touch with today's kids.

Surprisingly, they've been fairly faithful to the original source - but in a recent episode, Spidey tried out for the football team as a running back.

Now, after thinking about it, I concluded that Spiderman would make a great running back, given his enhanced agility, strength, resilience, rrecuperative powers, and his spider sense.

Given his historical inability to get a steady paycheck, and his nigh-permenant money worries, being a football player seems to be an ideal job for old spidey.

Then I found myself wondering what other characters would make an easy transition to the football field - keeping in mind that they'd have to hide their powers in order to avoid being booted from the league as having an unfair advantage.

Then I thought: how about a marvel vs. dc crossover - where they have to play football against each other, in some bizarre game to entertain an all powerful multidimensional being like the beyonder?

Villains & heroes allowed, but I'd like to maintain the 'normal enough to play in the NFL' aspect of things. No playing more than one position, but the characters can be taken from any era.

So, positions to fill:

MARVEL:

First Team Offense:
Quarterback (1):
Q: Longshot
O-Line (5):
C(1): Vulcan (Gabriel Summers)
G(2): Captain Britain (Brian Braddock), Hercules
T(2): Doc Samson (Leonard Samson), Blockbuster (Michael Baer)
Running Back(1):
RB: Spiderman (Peter Parker)
Fullback(1):
FB: Juggernaut (Caine Marko)
Receivers:
WR(2): Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff), Triathlon (Delroy Garett, Jr.)
TE(1): Strong Guy (Guido Carosella)

First Team Defense:
D-Line:
DE(2): Ares, Thor
DT(2): Blob, Power Man (Luke Cage)
Secondary(7):
LB(3): Onslaught, Apocalypse, Wonder Man (Simon Williams)
CB(2): Nova (Richard Rider), Loki
SS(1): Franklin Richards (Adult)
FS(1): Mr. M (Absolom Mercator)

Special Teams:
P:
K:
R:

DC:

First Team Offense:
Quarterback (1):
Q:
O-Line (5):
C(1): Superman (Clark Kent)
G(2): Martian Manhunter (John Jones)
T(2):
Running Back(1):
RB: The Flash (Wally West)
Fullback(1):
FB:
Receivers:
WR(2):
TE(1):

First Team Defense:
D-Line(4):
DE(2):
DT(2):
Secondary(7):
LB(3):
CB(2):
SS(1):
FS(1):

Special Teams:
P:
K:
R:

What do you guys think?

Mo_the_Hawked
2008-04-29, 08:03 PM
Nah, the QB has to be Cap. Also Spidey would make a hell'uva better Cornerback, then a RB. Also Wolverine would make the perfect MLB. Nightcrawler would make a sweet corner too. And Longshot a saftey perhaps.
Colossus would make a better center than Vulcan. As for running back...hmmm...maybe Cannonball. And you gotta have The Hulk playing DT.

TheEmerged
2008-04-29, 10:12 PM
DC: RB can't be the Flash. Wally's a wide receiver skillset. A better choice would be Wonder Woman, actually -- a good combination of speedster and power. A second choice, except for the whole blowing-up problem, would be Damage (currently with the JSA). People keep forgetting that as he powers up he becomes a low-end speedster as well.

Another good wide reciever would be The Ray. The ability to fly faster than the speed of light even in an atmosphere (established repeatedly) and the ability to become desoild when powered up (established, but reguarly forgotten) is a dangerous combination. For this reason, Photon/Capt Marvel/ whatever she's calling herself these days would be a good WR for Marvel.

Fullback would have to be someone much bulkier than DC big-names tend to be. The one that comes to mind is The General (formerly The Shaggy Man) from the Suicide Squad. No special speed, but he's got the bulk and the raw power. Atom Smasher can be eliminated because he has to get too big. Damage again has potential here, giving new meaning to the phrase "opening a hole in the line"... Another good choice here would be the new Black Condor (Freedom Fighters), although there are questions about exactly how powerful he is. He's been depicted as being taken out by flunkies and operating at nigh-cosmic level.

Another good lineman would be Citizen Steel (JSA). He has football experience but it's established he can't run very well yet (otherwise I'd actually recommend tight end since, ahem, he has proven catching ability).

ravenkith
2008-04-30, 10:11 AM
First thing: The original concept was to go with subtle power sets...which kind of deep sixes damage (glowing) and colossus (metal).

Longshot is the Quarterback for one simple reason: his power set. Probability altering powers, unerring accuracy and supernatural agility add up to make a hell of a quarterback. He hits whatever he throws at, is great at dodging big hits, and everything always turns out in his favor.

Vulcan was put on the line also because of his power set. a power-sapping, highly adaptable individual capable of the manipulation of the flow of time.

Got a running back or wide receiver that's just too damn fast? Vulcan can slow 'em down. Someone with more power on the other side of the football than your guys can muster? Vulcan can copy their power set...and add it to his own.

Superman? Yeah, one big solar battery, right? heh. heh heh. hehehehehehehehha!.

Cap would make a good coach, I think. He's got throwing skills, and he's a practiced combatant...but, like Batman, on a field full of superpowered beings, half of whom would like nothing better than to slam into your fragile, human body at top speed....well, let's just say I think they'd quickly find themselves going the way of David Carr.

I personally envision the running back as someone whose job it is to finesse his way through the line, avoiding getting hit, while carrying the ball. Flash, with his inhuman reaction times and massive top speed (especially in a situation where people have to keep things reined in, where he can be just a little faster than the other guy) would make a perfect RB.

FB? not so much. They're the ones who need strength and invulnerability in order to plow through the opposing d-line, after all.

Anteros
2008-04-30, 04:27 PM
The Bat would make a scary QB.

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-30, 05:28 PM
Marvel's QB I think should be Bullseye, assuming villains are allowed.

The Blob outta be given an Offensive Line spot. He's not that agile, but only the Hulk has every moved him.

The Hulk for a pinch Fullback.

Dumbledore lives
2008-04-30, 06:47 PM
Marvel's QB I think should be Bullseye, assuming villains are allowed.

The Blob outta be given an Offensive Line spot. He's not that agile, but only the Hulk has every moved him.

The Hulk for a pinch Fullback.

I agree with all of this. Bullseye doesn't really miss does he? He'd be perfect for the QB. He also has super human reflexes, so he could dodge tackles pretty well.

Blue Paladin
2008-05-01, 11:35 AM
Longshot is the Quarterback for one simple reason: his power set. Probability altering powers, unerring accuracy and supernatural agility add up to make a hell of a quarterback. He hits whatever he throws at, is great at dodging big hits, and everything always turns out in his favor.Longshot's luck power only works if he's doing a good deed. Since this match-up seem fairly neutral (in terms of good/evil), that part doesn't apply. He keeps his throwing ability and Nightcrawler-like agility though. Hey, Nightcrawler... I'm sure there's a place on the team for him. He doesn't need to run patterns; he just ports to the end zone and waits for the ball...

Vulcan was put on the line also because of his power set. a power-sapping, highly adaptable individual capable of the manipulation of the flow of time.Two things here: #1, "subtle power sets" and "Vulcan, the 'beyond' Omega-level mutant" don't fit very well together. #2, he's apparently lost the time manipulation powers he absorbed from Sway(?).

The Bat would make a scary QB.I think the Bat would make a scarier coach. Or offensive coordinator. Or defensive coordinator. Or all three. Have J'onn as Assistant [insert coordinator position here] for instant play changes. You don't even need to call audibles...

I agree with [ArtifexFelicis' placing Bullseye at QB]. Bullseye doesn't really miss does he? He'd be perfect for the QB. He also has super human reflexes, so he could dodge tackles pretty well.Speaking of which, Taskmaster would make good second-string QB. Or really whatever position needs filling...

SuperMuldoon
2008-05-02, 02:58 PM
Yeah, definitely Bullseye for Marvel QB, I think Hulk would make a good DE. Collossus would make a pretty good LB or DT. As for DC universe, Booster Gold should be the QB! After all, he has experience playing the position (being one of the greatest ever without his super power suit) and knows how to deal with all the pressures of fame and fortune!

HeroicSociopath
2008-05-06, 08:49 PM
Longshot's luck power only works if he's doing a good deed. Since this match-up seem fairly neutral (in terms of good/evil), that part doesn't apply.
Let's assume that whoever wins has the money the sporting event will own go to charity.

There lol.