PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Concrete Jungle

gnomas
2008-04-29, 05:22 PM
In you opinion, oh people of the playground, which class is the best in an urban setting. Mechanically and fluff wise, who really shines when put in the city?

I'm not asking for builds, but if you feel like providing them to help your case, here are the books I have access to:

core
the srd
complete arcane
complete devine
complete warrior
complete adventurer
sandstorm
PHB 2
races of the wild

Frosty
2008-04-29, 05:26 PM
In you opinion, oh people of the playground, which class is the best in an urban setting. Mechanically and fluff wise, who really shines when put in the city?

I'm not asking for builds, but if you feel like providing them to help your case, here are the books I have access to:

core
the srd
complete arcane
complete devine
complete warrior
complete adventurer
sandstorm
PHB 2
races of the wild

No Dungeonscape huh? I'll vote for Beguiler then.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-04-29, 05:26 PM
Wizard. Where doesn't it shine?

bosssmiley
2008-04-29, 05:28 PM
Quick answer: rogue.
Longer answer: rogue, bard, monk, wiz/sorc.

You not thought of looking at the "Cityscape" book (aka: "It's Crowded Outside")? That - and the related page on the WotC website - had a number of alternate city-specific class features for the base classes IIRC.

Frosty
2008-04-29, 05:31 PM
Quick answer: rogue.

You not thought of looking at the "Cityscape" book (aka: "It's Crowded Outside")? That - and the related page on the WotC website - had a number of alternate city-specific class features for the base classes IIRC.

Rogue is, at best, #3, given the books this person has.

cupkeyk
2008-04-29, 05:33 PM
Or the Social Proficiency variant enchanter in UA. Urban RAnger is also a great option. Also in UA.

I played in a urban campaign and I used a bard with disguise spell and that one from cityscape where it doesn't emanate from you, misleading spell? anyhoot. kill anyone in public and everyone will think that you are just whistling your favorite tune.

cupkeyk
2008-04-29, 05:46 PM
Or the Social Proficiency variant enchanter in UA. Urban RAnger is also a great option. Also in UA.

I played in a urban campaign and I used a bard with disguise spell and that one from cityscape where it doesn't emanate from you, misleading spell? anyhoot. kill anyone in public and everyone will think that you are just whistling your favorite tune.

gnomas
2008-04-29, 08:12 PM
yeah I realise that cityscape and dungeon scape would be useful here (especially compared to races of the wild). why exactly are you saying monk, bosssmiley? anyway, i'll have a look at the urban ranger in the srd and see what i think.

and now i really should go be preductive, ugh:smallsigh:

Hal
2008-04-29, 09:17 PM
I guess it just depends on what you're doing there. Unless you plan on playing cat burglar, anybody with a couple ranks in Gather Information and Knowledge (Local) will get by. Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive will see you through as well.

That said, I've found that urban campaigns can require ranks in Craft or Profession. I'm currently playing one, and my DM has our characters work when we're not adventuring. My favorite character was a brewmaster Paladin until he died.

bosssmiley
2008-04-30, 04:45 AM
Why exactly are you saying monk, bosssmiley

Ever see a Jackie Chan film? Yeah.

Serpentine
2008-04-30, 05:28 AM
Hmm... Where is the Urban Druid variant kept?

Heliomance
2008-04-30, 06:40 AM
The Roofrunner, from the 3ed book Traps and Treachery is an awesome utility class in cities.