PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions...

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 10:33 PM
Is getting an animal companion worth it or would it be better to just get the alternative class feature?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-29, 10:39 PM
Is getting an animal companion worth it or would it be better to just get the alternative class feature?Are you a Druid, Ranger, or Variant Wiz/Sorc?

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 10:41 PM
Ranger... I've had enough of casters already... :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-29, 10:44 PM
I'd say it probably is, but it depends on the exact variant. Your AC won't be that useful, so you can probably find a better feature. If you are multiclassed with Rogue, the flanking variant can be much better than having a pet dog.

Talya
2008-04-29, 10:48 PM
The distracting attack alternate class feature is awesome. If you still want a companion, the wild cohort feat is better for a ranger than their own companion.

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 10:51 PM
I'm going for Swift Hunter so I'm a Scout 3/ Ranger 2 right now.... If I take the solitary hunter variant... My favored enemy bonus applies to my Attack Rolls too... Is that a good thing? My character hates undead and constructs so I have a +4 against undead and a +2 on constructs.... Taking Swift Hunter lets me apply my Skirmish on my damage against them... Is that good? We're in a mainly undead campaign anyways...:smallfrown:

cupkeyk
2008-04-29, 11:01 PM
Oh you are taking swift hunter. I recommend taking a two level dip into stalker of kharash to get favored enemy(evil) that greatly improves your skirmish range than taking more favored enemies from ranger/scout. that said, take the cityscape variant for animal companions where you get a familiar. Now alertness(a stalker prepreq) is free.

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 11:04 PM
Cityscape? Stalker of Kharash? Where can I see those stuff? I have no idea where to find those things..

cupkeyk
2008-04-29, 11:19 PM
the class feature is here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

stalker of kharash is in boed but since its a two level dip, you can use crystalkeep.

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 11:27 PM
So... Favored enemy: Evil can also increase? I can place the rest of my Favored enemy bonus gained on later levels on it?

cupkeyk
2008-04-29, 11:34 PM
So... Favored enemy: Evil can also increase? I can place the rest of my Favored enemy bonus gained on later levels on it?

Nope, but it stacks with other types. Say you have a +2 vs. undead, and +3 vs. evil undead, +4 vs. elementals and +5 vs. evil elementals, +6 vs. constructs and +7 vs evil constructs. The last two favored enemies come too late in your career so getting favored enemy: plant and favored enemy: ooze won't be as useful as favored enemy: evil because you can then skirmish evil plants and evil oozes.

asphen fox
2008-04-29, 11:37 PM
Ah.. ok... thanks. Guys.. I'll probably take the dip then. :smallbiggrin: I like the detect evil feature a lot. :smallsmile: