PDA

View Full Version : equipment for Artificer

D Knight
2008-04-29, 10:45 PM
hey i am starting to play an Artificer at lv 8 i need to know how much stuff he would make or have made by then.
Race: human
Feats:
Legandary Artisan x3 the frist 2 are 1st lv feats
Extraordinary Artisan x2
Exceptional Artisan
Stats:
Str 10
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 17
Wis 11
Cha 18
Creator note: i am trying to make Iron Man. So gold value would be nice to know if possible. no laughting or the rath of Iron Man will come to you

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-29, 10:53 PM
1, you can't stack more than one of the same "Artisan" feats. They errata'd that when they realized a human with 2 flaws could make gear appear instantly pretty easily.

2, you actually don't want to reduce crafting time until you've reached the point where you auto the UMD checks, because if you do, you reduce the number of checks you can make.

3, put the Cha score in Int, the Int score in Con, the Con score in Dex, and the Dex score in Cha. Cha doesn't matter for an Artificer, no matter what the book says.

Now, you'll want a lot of wands and scrolls, an int-boosting item, and heavily enchanted armor and either a good weapon or a bunch of attack wands. I prefer the latter. Look into Eternal Wands (MIC) to really maxximize your potential.

Ascension
2008-04-30, 12:00 AM
3, put the Cha score in Int, the Int score in Con, the Con score in Dex, and the Dex score in Cha. Cha doesn't matter for an Artificer, no matter what the book says.

I'd put CHA in INT and INT in CHA. He's trying to build Iron Man, and if he's talking about Stark rather than the guy in the song, he's got to have a sky-high CHA.

SCPRedMage
2008-04-30, 12:09 AM
1, you can't stack more than one of the same "Artisan" feats. They errata'd that when they realized a human with 2 flaws could make gear appear instantly pretty easily.
Every feat that stacks with itself lists that fact under a "special" tag in the text of the feat, and text trumps tables. In this case, the table marked the feats with a footnote saying they stacked with themselves, but the main text didn't. Errata clarifies this, but it was never allowed.

2, you actually don't want to reduce crafting time until you've reached the point where you auto the UMD checks, because if you do, you reduce the number of checks you can make.
True, to a point. If you can get your UMD bonus high enough (level +10), you can take ten and pass all your checks the first time. Once you get your bonus that high, that feat is viable.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. UMD is the most important skill you can have as an artificer, and every little bit helps. I, for one, would rather have a higher Charisma than Intelligence for the UMD help; I could care less for having less bonus Infusions, since I've never really run low when I've played an Artificer. A few Infusions go a LONG way.

Secondly, a bloody TWELVE is not a smart choice for an artificer's Charisma. Without taking Skill Focus: UMD, that would put him at 4 + artificer level for his checks, meaning he would have to roll a sixteen or better to make magic items at his full caster level. Seeing as I've had sessions where every roll I made was less than that, having a low UMD is a risk I most certainly wouldn't want to take.

Now, you'll want a lot of wands and scrolls, an int-boosting item, and heavily enchanted armor and either a good weapon or a bunch of attack wands. I prefer the latter. Look into Eternal Wands (MIC) to really maxximize your potential.
For the most part, agreed, but again, I'd prioritize Charisma over Intelligence.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-30, 12:16 AM
By moving the stats like I suggested, he gets an additional HP/HD, at least one additional infusion, a +1 to hit, and a +1 AC. That is well worth the -3 to UMD he gets that can be made up for with a feat. Or just craft a Ring of UMD +5 for 2,500.

D Knight
2008-04-30, 07:17 AM
thanks for the advice all and please keep it comeing for i am going to play this asap thats if my group lets me. the ring sounds like a good idea i might make it and a few others.

Do you all think that gleamed armor quality on the suit would be a good idea?also the suit will boost my Str a little when worn so that is the reason the 10 is there.

2 DAYS TILL THE MOVIE

DementedFellow
2008-04-30, 04:54 PM
By moving the stats like I suggested, he gets an additional HP/HD, at least one additional infusion, a +1 to hit, and a +1 AC. That is well worth the -3 to UMD he gets that can be made up for with a feat. Or just craft a Ring of UMD +5 for 2,500.

Artificers don't get Craft Ring until way later. A wondrous item would do the trick though.

D Knight
2008-04-30, 08:31 PM
what type of wondrous item would make and how much would it cost to create? and would Gleamed armor property be good to put on for a quick change?Also any items that i should buy or make that might help me futher in this self appointed quest?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-30, 08:35 PM
what type of wondrous item would make and how much would it cost to create? A Vest, Robe, or Headband would probably have the affinity, so it would only cost 2,500 GP market for you to get a +5 UMD item. A +10 would be 10,000. But talk to your DM, he may think another slot is better.

D Knight
2008-05-01, 08:44 PM
so i am set to start playing Michel (Iron Man) the next time i meet with my group and kick ass.if i am wrong then tell me please.

DementedFellow
2008-05-01, 10:29 PM
There is also a homunculus feat you should have available at level 4.

Use some of your freebie points to make a Dedicated Wright. Stick the little bugger in a Bag of Holding and you have a good automated factory almost.

It will be especially beneficial to you since your character is human. Warforged can get by without one of these because they don't need to sleep, but a human kinda does though there isn't an explicit rule for sleep deprivation as I recall.

Good Luck. It's like the 3rd most powerful class in the game. You'll no doubt be able to feel the power of Iron Man.

SadisticFishing
2008-05-01, 10:36 PM
Play a Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron) if you actually want to become Iron Man. Yay turning into a robot.

D Knight
2008-05-01, 10:55 PM
can i get a link to Dedicated Wright if possiable and a link to Renegade Mastermaker. But Iron man is human on the inside and metal on the outside.

Cuddly
2008-05-01, 10:56 PM
There's a level 1 bard spell from the SpC that gives you a bunch of floating bonuses, contingent on your level, to any skill checks you like (or saves, damage, or to hit, if I recall correctly). If you make or buy a wand of this, you can actually get by with a negative charisma score.

D Knight
2008-05-01, 11:07 PM
Cuddly i thank you and so does Michel Eldaron (my Iron Man known as War Mech). i am going to make a wand of this for when i am crafting.

Cuddly
2008-05-01, 11:29 PM
Glad to be of help. :smallsmile:

SCPRedMage
2008-05-02, 03:29 PM
There is also a homunculus feat you should have available at level 4.

Use some of your freebie points to make a Dedicated Wright. Stick the little bugger in a Bag of Holding and you have a good automated factory almost.

It will be especially beneficial to you since your character is human. Warforged can get by without one of these because they don't need to sleep, but a human kinda does though there isn't an explicit rule for sleep deprivation as I recall.

Good Luck. It's like the 3rd most powerful class in the game. You'll no doubt be able to feel the power of Iron Man.
I'd recommend a portable hole; there's no description of what the inside of a bag looks like, and the GM would probably rule that it wouldn't be an appropriate place for crafting. Portable Hole, on the other hand, has a clear description of size and shape.

Plus, the Portable Hole has negligible weight, compared to the minimum of 15lbs of the Bag of Holding...

EDIT: Oh, and Dedicate Wright is listed in the Eberron Campaign Setting, in the back with the new monsters.

D Knight
2008-05-04, 06:44 PM
so after i get/create all this stuff i shgould be ready to start playing Michel this friday or next right. but i am still need help with limits so here are a few limits i have. the palm beams have 50 uses before they need to rest for 8 hours to recharge, flight i have manuverablity set as poor right now its set to my lv and lets say i got my suit finished by 5th. now i need to limit the antimagic feild (EMP) any suggestions, and is there anything eles that i missed. i am useing clockwork armor as the base of the suit.