PDA

View Full Version : Honor Codes

quiet1mi
2008-04-29, 11:52 PM
A great question i face while wanting to play restricted characters (paladins,monks,samurai (OA) etc...) for role play value is how to follow the honor code with out walking into obvious traps, or being a jerk to those less restricted in behavior... ie: if the rouge starts to lie cheat and steal and I'm the paladin, not having to lecture him about the errors of his ways (as to oppose to killing him)....(people who lecture others constantly get made fun of in character because anything outside of lectures would break their code...)

The Necroswanso
2008-04-29, 11:58 PM
Any character with a code will be mocked by those without a code. It's just like when those bastard children push around janitors knowing they can't legally push back.
It's great because you become they bigger man by simply smiling, and letting them punish themselves.

Ex: In a game where I was a paladin, a bard was constantly mocking my ways. I was okay with it, we were friends. Then, when he got his ass kicked for hitting on a smith's wife, I kindly helped him back to his feet afterwards, then let him walk into a trap beleiving it to be safe.
All non-life threatening situations, but those who mock the code will suffer on their own. Though it is always nicer to help them out, they need to learn that in order for them to gain your trust and help, they need to respect your life style as you have grown to respect theirs.
That, and whenever that bar fight comes up you can always lay-on-hands the NPC if he's just barely losing XD.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-30, 12:02 AM
For every Paladin, I have to post this.
Never let your morals get in the way of doing what's right. If the Rogue is lying to the guards to try to get into the BBEG's castle so you can save the realm, then let it slide, because other things have forced him into those actions. However, you do have to object morally to certain acts by them, even when doing so doesn't work with the party. Anything else breaks immersion. In one game, I was working with the local guards investigating the trail of murders being left by another PC. I was present at both his arrest and execution, and everyone involved loved that storyline. So yes, take him to the side after the session, and have a private in-character discussion about how his recent acts are vile, immoral, and wrong, and you cannot accept dealing with him if he continues (obviously, don't lay down the ultimatum unless you have to). Then, either he changes, you leave the party, or he does. There may be violence. Yes, that's the problem with playing a good character in a game where someone may be evil, and being a Paladin just exacerbates it, but such is life. Some people just don't get along.

sonofzeal
2008-04-30, 12:12 AM
A great question i face while wanting to play restricted characters (paladins,monks,samurai (OA) etc...) for role play value is how to follow the honor code with out walking into obvious traps, or being a jerk to those less restricted in behavior... ie: if the rouge starts to lie cheat and steal and I'm the paladin, not having to lecture him about the errors of his ways (as to oppose to killing him)....(people who lecture others constantly get made fun of in character because anything outside of lectures would break their code...)
If your makeup kit starts lying, you've got a problem. I'll assume you meant "rogue" there.

The problem with the paladin isn't the "Code of Conduct" section, it's the "Associates" section. There's nothing inherantly wrong with following a moral code that applies to yourself, but the Paladin text specifically puts limits on others around him, and that IS a problem. Simply snipping that bit of text will go a long way towards fixing it. More generally, make any sort of official code a matter of internal self-discipline, rather than something to be forced onto others. A Druid vows never to wear metal armor but doesn't complain when the Fighter does; in the same way, a person with a vow to always speak the truth shouldn't be horrified when the rogue uses deception. They might not approve, but then again a Frenzied Berzerker might not approve of the Bard defusing a potential combat with diplomacy and robbing him of some fun. Characters don't have to agree, as long as they can get along.

quiet1mi
2008-04-30, 12:34 AM
sorry i am tired and said rouge instead of rogue.... (not being defensive or sarcastic just tired....)

please fogive me people of the thread for i have sinned... and called a rogue a rouge... although it gives me a cool character name for a NPC.... Hurah optimism!

sonofzeal
2008-04-30, 12:42 AM
sorry i am tired and said rouge instead of rogue.... (not being defensive or sarcastic just tired....)

please fogive me people of the thread for i have sinned... and called a rogue a rouge... although it gives me a cool character name for a NPC.... Hurah optimism!
No problem, it's just one of those little things that bothers me purely because it's such a common mistake.

Anyway, have the posts helped?

quiet1mi
2008-04-30, 12:45 AM
yes they have in fact... by applying this new found knowledge i now know how to play a morally restricted class and not be the one giving out homework and lectures on morals...