PDA

View Full Version : GMing a 1 player game

jdavidw13
2008-04-30, 02:22 PM
Hey all,

First I'd like to say I love the forums here at giantip, awesome community. Anyways, I wanted to get your tips and advice for running a single player campaign (with dnd3.5 or swse). What kinds of things do you do to make combat viable for one person? Are there methods you use to scale down NPCs of a certain CL to match the ability of the player, without outright killing him? I think building the story for my player will be fun, yet somewhat of a challenge. Mostly, I'm stumped about what to do with combat encounters. I don't want each and every battle the PC goes through to be nearly fatal. I'm going for more of a heroic adventure feel. An average fight for the player should not tax him too much, as long as he uses good strategy to defeat the monsters.

So, what advice/tips do you have?

Thanks

Deth Muncher
2008-04-30, 02:31 PM
Make the character level up faster? Or give him cohorts/ NPC buddies?

CTG
2008-04-30, 02:49 PM
Also be sure to tailor the plot towards them.

jdavidw13
2008-04-30, 03:04 PM
Also be sure to tailor the plot towards them.
Obviously, that's why I think this experience will be uniquely fun. I'll get to tailor the story directly at my player. I believe my player would like to be mostly by himself, although would be open to playing other characters to fill the party roles and/or having NPC buddies. However, I think I should start by keeping in mind that the player will mostly adventure by himself. So, what would you suggest to accomplish this combat wise with the heroic adventure feel?

Sholos
2008-04-30, 03:13 PM
The Neverwinter Nights series is a single-player campaign. I suggest taking some ideas from it, such as providing NPC companions for the player. Otherwise he's likely to get swarmed in combat. Unless the combat is easy, which strikes me as pampering and might annoy him unless he doesn't care about the combat.

valadil
2008-04-30, 03:18 PM
I'd suggest fudge. Lots and lots of fudge.

Usually players can tell when they're saved by Deus Ex Machina. Try to make fights that are easy on the player, but scale them up into a challenge. It's much more fun than seeing your DM turn crits into normal hits.

Also, single players are better at avoiding combats than a group. If you have a sneaky PC, let him avoid combat by hiding and tossing a rock somewhere else. He still avoids the encounter and he'll feel like he's acting out his own character and dealing with encounters appropriately.

FMArthur
2008-04-30, 03:21 PM
If you used opposing characters of a comparable or lesser level (instead of just random monsters) to fight him singly I think the game would retain its challenge balance and also provide more interesting combat. The first session will almost need to be lame, because you don't know what kind of things he'll do well against. A large band of preposterously weak enemies may kill a character who's focused on single combat or sneaky maneuvring, or provide no challenge at all for a caster with AOE spells or a cleave-lover.

jdavidw13
2008-04-30, 03:37 PM
If you used opposing characters of a comparable or lesser level (instead of just random monsters) to fight him singly I think the game would retain its challenge balance and also provide more interesting combat.

That's good to hear. It's difficult getting a hard and fast rule for such a circumstance, when there really isn't one. I suppose it's one of those things that I'll have to ease the player into to find out what he can handle and what he can't. The suggestions are good, keep em coming

Severus
2008-04-30, 03:45 PM
I've done this several times and it can really rock.

I'd suggest that you think about gestalt rules. You want your one hero to shine.

Second, I'd try to create a little group of NPCs to accompany the hero. The reason being is that you need multiple personalities for the character to roleplay with/ play off of.

jdavidw13
2008-04-30, 03:57 PM
I've done this several times and it can really rock.

I'd suggest that you think about gestalt rules. You want your one hero to shine.

Second, I'd try to create a little group of NPCs to accompany the hero. The reason being is that you need multiple personalities for the character to roleplay with/ play off of.

Gestalt rules are in Unearth Arcana, correct? I haven't looked at em, but it basically involves multiclassing without the penalties? What I'll probably end up doing is introducing npc helpers that follow the hero around as I find out how badly lacking he is in certain roles. However, hopefully the story can be driven mostly towards the strengths of my player, and we won't have a big need for NPCs following along.

Severus
2008-04-30, 04:26 PM
Yes. Gestalt is basically a super class. take two classes and take the best of both. say fighter/wizard

Fighter attack progression
Fighter fort saves
Wizard will saves
Fighter fighter feats
Wizard magic feats
Wizard spell progression
Fighter armor/weapon proficiencies.

However... You don't get out of restrictions, so no casting in armor and the like. Also, no prestige classes that are effectively combining two classes as this would allow you to add up too many classes. So things like arcane trickster which is mage/rogue can't be taken.

as for the NPCs, do what works for you, but every hero needs people to talk to, so the NPCs often serve this vital roleplaying role, even if they aren't the drivers of the story.

DaltonTrigger
2008-04-30, 04:55 PM
There are a lot of different approaches people take to this challenge. Here are some links that are worth reading.

http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=194
http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=195

There's another article I can't seem to find right now, but it was really good. It suggested that rather than pampering, reducing encounters, and beefing up your PC, you give him companions. Encourage him to buy a feat that will allow familiars or animal companions, hire henchmen, or even give him some loyal followers with character levels.

Giving your player an NPC ally who won't steal the spotlight (a paladin would be bad, for example) could work. Say he's looking for excitement, or a share of loot, or to better himself for personal reasons. He can have plenty of depth, just don't let his depth steal the spotlight or make decisions the player should be making. Make him a level or two weaker so that the PC can be the hero and bail him out with things get rough.

Also make magical items and services readily available. Plenty of healing potions at major cities, wizards and priests that can be hired for identifying, healing, and other magical services in town (but NOT for travel), etc.

Giving your PC allies helps give him HP buffers and reduce the 'death by swarm' tendency, while the ability to hire henchmen and spellcasters will overcome the very limited skill list he's likely to have.

Which is more exciting: Playing a fighter in a weak, shallow dungeon with no traps or locks and just a couple of enemies? Or playing a fighter in a deep and dangerous dungeon, full of traps, enemies and locks. You discover you need to hire somebody who can overcome these traps, and you offer him a share of the loot for his services. Now you have a travel companion which brings up a slew of opportunity for character development through IC partnerships and conversations. But can a thief-for-hire really be trusted? The PC should still be on his guard...

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity to plot twists and mini adventures, if you ask me!

Ellisthion
2008-05-01, 09:07 AM
I ran a very successful 1 player game once. I focused on roleplaying rather than combat, and ensured there were a host of interesting NPCs, locations, and activities. It was also almost completely free-form. I also made sure he chose class choices which worked well in this environment: having a high Charisma, lots of skills, and Diplomacy (and Bluff etc) as class skills helped.

Heh. He was an Urban Ranger/Bard/Dragon Disciple... who was, by trade, a woodcutter, and regularly sung at the tavern. Eventually ended up romantically involved with an NPC, too...

Actual exchange:
Me: "What do you do?"
Him: "I go into the forest, and I chop wood."

jdavidw13
2008-05-01, 10:33 AM
Actual exchange:
Me: "What do you do?"
Him: "I go into the forest, and I chop wood."
ROFL That's plain awesomeness! Thank you everyone for your tips and advice. I feel much more confident now running this game. Hopefully it all goes well. Thanks!

bosssmiley
2008-05-01, 01:21 PM
What kinds of things do you do to make combat viable for one person? Are there methods you use to scale down NPCs of a certain CL to match the ability of the player, without outright killing him? I think building the story for my player will be fun, yet somewhat of a challenge. Mostly, I'm stumped about what to do with combat encounters. I don't want each and every battle the PC goes through to be nearly fatal. I'm going for more of a heroic adventure feel. An average fight for the player should not tax him too much, as long as he uses good strategy to defeat the monsters.

So, what advice/tips do you have?

Thanks

For the purposes of encounter design treat the PC as a party of 1. With only a quarter of the actions and options available to the default party a sole adventurer should qualify for the "twice as difficult" EL adjustment twice over. Sure, this bumps experience gains up absurdly, but it also boosts the difficulty level so much that a creature of 4 CR less than the character's level is still considered 'challenging' ("should burn 25% of available resources"), while a mirror match against an equal CR opponent will be 'very difficult' (a 50/50 win/lose situation).

Use the d20srd.org Encounter Calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) to work out what should be fitting fights for the sole character. Take the raw data on offer there with a substantial pinch of salt at the lower end of the range (CR 1-3) though. I mean, according to the maths, two CR2 creatures are a 'challenging' ("should burn 25% of available resources") fight for a single level 8 PC. :smallamused:

Pages 36 and 48 of the DMG are your friends. :smallwink:

Oh, and if you're going for heroic, throw the PC up against scads of opposition that's lower CR than him, but comes in bucketloads. You remember the way the "LOTR" guys, Achilles in "Troy", the named samurai in "Last Samurai" and Beatrice in "Kill Bill 1" smote down literally dozens of no-names, right? Having the mooks weak-but-numerous makes the PC look like a sexy shoeless god of war and makes the opposition great fodder for flashy and bravura old-school stuff like fireballing, acid fogs, cleave attacks, overruns, etc.

Spice these bland and squishy guys up by having the occasional big chunky opponent for set piece fight scenes. The giant mook (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantMook) growling "He's mine!" is a trope for a reason, you know. Remember the way the Moria goblins legged it when the Balrog appeared? Or the way the mooks almost always stop their fights and form a playground "fight! fight! fight!" ring (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MookChivalry) around the named stars in "Troy"? Yeah, rule of cool in effect.

Seeing the hero hew down/fireball scores of mooks as he ploughs his inexorable way towards the BBEG (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator) is the quintessence of high fantasy combat. :smallcool:

batsofchaos
2008-05-01, 02:21 PM
I'm encountering a similar issue, since I found out someone in my game stole from me during a session. I'm probably going to end up cancelling the game as a result, but one of my players who I trust is going to want to play on despite the no-more-game-night-with-dirty-thieves.

If you wanna stay Core, I'd strongly suggest that the player take a class that has access to healing, with a slight preference towards Paladin over anything else. A CoDzilla would probably work too, but Paladin is the best fit for a solo campaign. Give them a cohort who can provide some healing and buffs for the PC, for this I'd suggest Bard. And really, what's a more fitting sort of game than a Paladin with his bard travelling the country-side righting wrongs in the name of good and holiness?