PDA

View Full Version : Can I use wands?

AwfulLawful
2008-04-30, 03:47 PM
I know you need to have a spell on your spell list to use a given wand without a UMD check

But what if your casting stat is too low for you to cast spells at all? Right now I'm playing a paladin with Wis 7 (which is great fun :smallbiggrin: ) and I was wandering whether or not I'd be able to use a wand of CLW when I reach 4th level?

_AwfulLawful

Jasdoif
2008-04-30, 03:51 PM
Yes. All you need is to have the spell on your class spell list. You don't even need to be able to cast spells yet; a 1st-level paladin could use a wand of CLW.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-30, 03:57 PM
Note: If you give up spellcasting, spells aren't on your spell list.

InaVegt
2008-04-30, 04:39 PM
Yes. All you need is to have the spell on your class spell list. You don't even need to be able to cast spells yet; a 1st-level paladin could use a wand of CLW.

Even worse, a first level wizard is able to cast wish from a wand.

Chronos
2008-04-30, 04:48 PM
Scrolls, though, are a little more demanding. In order to be able to use a scroll reliably, you have to be high enough level and have a high enough key ability score to cast the spell yourself, and it has to be the right type of scroll (arcane or divine). If you're not high enough level, but still meet the other requirements, then you have a chance of using the scroll successfully (without UMD), depending on how much higher level the scroll is than you. But if you don't have a high enough ability score, or it's not on your class list, then it's UMD or nothing.

AwfulLawful
2008-04-30, 04:53 PM
Ahh thanks for the answers.

^^think I was confusing wands with scrolls at some point :smallsmile:

-AwfulLawful

Chronos
2008-04-30, 06:08 PM
Even worse, a first level wizard is able to cast wish from a wand.Wands only go up to fourth level, and it's a DM call whether any given spell can be put into a staff. Besides, where the heck is a first-level character getting an item of Wish? If you're going to be that Santa Claus about it, a feebleminded half-orc can cast a wish from a Ring of Wishes.

Curmudgeon
2008-05-01, 09:21 AM
a feebleminded half-orc can cast a wish from a Ring of Wishes. ... and is probably less likely to get a nasty surprise by asking for something overpowering. :smallamused:

Waspinator
2008-05-01, 12:14 PM
If it's Thog, he's probably just going to wind up with a mountain of ice cream.

BadJuJu
2008-05-01, 12:23 PM
If it's Thog, he's probably just going to wind up with a mountain of ice cream.

...dont forget the sprinkles...

Roderick_BR
2008-05-01, 01:56 PM
Since we are at it, can I use a wand if I have the spell as a spell-like ability instead of an actual spell in a spell list? Like a paladin with remove diseases can use a wand of remove disease, or the same spell in a staff?

Jasdoif
2008-05-01, 02:07 PM
Since we are at it, can I use a wand if I have the spell as a spell-like ability instead of an actual spell in a spell list? Like a paladin with remove diseases can use a wand of remove disease, or the same spell in a staff?Nope. Has to be on your class spell list, or you have to UMD it.

Although it's just rude that paladins can't cast remove disease normally.

Pirate_King
2008-05-01, 02:14 PM
Scrolls, though, are a little more demanding. In order to be able to use a scroll reliably, you have to be high enough level and have a high enough key ability score to cast the spell yourself, and it has to be the right type of scroll (arcane or divine). If you're not high enough level, but still meet the other requirements, then you have a chance of using the scroll successfully (without UMD), depending on how much higher level the scroll is than you. But if you don't have a high enough ability score, or it's not on your class list, then it's UMD or nothing.

So, scrolls are basically just a way for a wizard to cast more of his own spells per day, or another UMD thing for rogues, yes? I always mix up who can use what.

Waspinator
2008-05-01, 02:21 PM
Scrolls are also extremely useful for Sorcerors because they can use them to access spells that they themeselves don't know due to their limited spell selection. It's not a bad idea for a Sorceror to get a scroll or two of all of the useful low-level spells and chuck them in a backpack to carry with him.

Chronos
2008-05-01, 04:04 PM
Scrolls can also be used for spells you're not powerful enough for yet. A 2nd-level wizard, for instance, can't normally cast 2nd level spells, but if he manages to get a scroll of one, he'll have a 95% chance of it working right.

But yeah, the primary use for scrolls is to let you get more spells per day. They're especially useful for those spells you don't need very often, but which you really need badly when you do (something like Restoration, for instance). It's a waste of a spell slot for a cleric to prepare Restoration, since you hardly ever need it, but when you do, you can just get out your scroll of it.