PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Help

Aleron
2008-04-30, 06:35 PM
First time playing in an Eberon game and after my first character(A monk) got knocked unconcious by an old Fire Giant, thanks to the incompetence of the party healer(Favored Soul) then 2 rounds later got crushed when the giant was killed and fell on him...thanks to the fact that the favored soul again not healing me OR pulling me away from the giant. So I got to re-roll and went with a Artificer.

I've already played 1 game so starting cash is all spent and so are some basic items and buffs.

Items
+1 Mithril Chainmail, 4X Scroll of Cure Moderate Wounds, 1 Wand of Magic Missle and 1 Wand of Knock and a regular, non-magical crossbow.

Stats
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 19(+1 for level), Wis 12, Cha 18

Feats
Leadership, Abarant Dragonmark, Lesser Abarant Dragonmark, Extraordinary & Legendary Artisan

I am planning on taking Greater Abarant Dragonmark when it's available, and maybe the feat that allows you to "improve" your cohort, a Warforged Warblade in my case. I'm just wondering what would be worth while to take for items, feats incase I decide to leave the mark or cohort alone. Also, did I do something horrably wrong in creation that I should plead with my DM to allow me to change?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-30, 06:56 PM
Nothing wrong I would change now, but what is your current level?

Aleron
2008-04-30, 07:26 PM
Sorry, level 7 human origonaly from House Cannith

Eldariel
2008-04-30, 07:58 PM
I'd definitely rid myself of those scrolls and get a Wand of Lesser Vigor instead. On level 7, Cure Moderate Wounds isn't really impressive combat healing anyways and Wands are so much better out of combat. Once you can afford it, make few high CL Scrolls of Heal for in-combat healing; until then, I'd say it's best to avoid needing combat healing (at least in your case as it's very expensive).

Anyways, what kind of a Warblade do you want? Buffer, Blaster, Archer, Warrior? It can do all of those, but generally you need to focus to do some better than others. Either way, you'll probably want some metamagic. What kind depends on what you wish to be doing. Dual Wand Wielder (after Two-Weapon Fighting) is great for a blasting build, but near useless for a buffer. You'll want Archery-feats if you go that road. Wand Mastery likewise can be invaluable, and Craft Construct isn't horrible; having few golems around taking hits (that you can repair easily with Infusions) is always nice especially since their DR tends to be very functional against monsters and their Magic Immunity gives them a decent protection from hostile spellcasters, so they can be big and taking a good chunk of space in the frontline. Pick up Extra Rings later.

Make sure you'll have a dedicated wright making your stuff while adventuring in an extradimensional space. Makes those homunculi useful.

For items, Ring of Counterspells with Dispel Magic-variant could be very useful. Of course you'll want some stat boosters and depending on which kind of an artificer you want, a variety of wands, staves and so on. Use your WPL to build stuff to save money.

Aleron
2008-04-30, 09:30 PM
The scroll took a total of 20 points of my crafting pool(all I had after making my stuff and my companions stuff), and with my group heralers propensity to not heal, this is the best I could do before heading into a major dungeon :)

This char is basicaly a buffer/secondary ranged damage as we have a range specalized duskblade that does insane damage. We just got a second arcane caster(warmage) after his previous character(barb) decided to charge into a vast, magicaly dark room and get ambushed by 3 rogues :( Our other caster is the duskblade and he spends more time plinking with arrows than any casting, minus a couple minor buffs.

The warforged is the secondary melee fighter in the group, so he's easy to figure out :) I was thinking about the Wandmaster/duel weilding prior to taking leadership/dragonmark...but these also fueled my backstory while these wouldn't so I went for this first. I might just go that rout though in the long run for some punch...though how to ballance that with needing/wanting to take Greater Abarant DM...I don't know.

Cuddly
2008-04-30, 09:41 PM
Heh, monk to artificer.

Anyway, I recommend picking up a metamagic feat or two, like quicken or empower spell (and reach and split and maximize...). That way, you can get free metamagic out of the wands you make.

Aleron
2008-04-30, 09:52 PM
Heh, monk to artificer.
Yeah...was in a new group so I played a character type I was comfortable with. After it died I decided to play someting a bit more out of the norm for me and tried the artificer as I have stayed away from the crafter types, so up came the artificer. That and we didn't have a good buffer.