PDA

View Full Version : Rayman 2: Kill it with lasers

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-30, 07:24 PM
So, having seen Solo's thread in which he makes a caster based entirely off rays, I feel the need to imitate him. Thing is, I don't know the half of the feats I'd need, and if you gave me a list I couldn't name the source of half of them.

So this is what I ask. Build me a gestalt 14th level character optimized for blasting, preferably with lasers. Ocular spell and red sunglasses are a bonus.Then give the source and an explanation of each feat and class and whatnot so I know precisely what I'm dealing with and can explain it to the DM.

The other player is working on a Setting Sun swordsage, designed to keep the opponent twitching on the ground while I obliterate, if that helps.

I'm aware that there is a Character Builder thread, but in addition to having a character, I want to learn about how such characters are built, and that requires a discussion that an official thread does not lend itself to.

Solo
2008-04-30, 07:25 PM
All you need to know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayman_2)

Solo
2008-04-30, 08:01 PM
Now, since no one seems to be showing you any love, I am going to give a general overview of what you should look for when it comes to making a ray based sorcerer.

1. Ray based damage spells (obviously)
2. Ray based effect spells (Enervation)
3. Buff spells to hit enemies better.
4. Debuff spells to get rid of things like Ray Deflection with.
5. Non-ray spells to handle situations in which using rays would not work (ie, firing into an AMF, or if a Coloossal Dragon grapples a Tiny pixie ally, as you have a 50% chance of hitting the pixie for some reason)
6. Feats, such as Split Ray (fire off an extra ray), Chain Spell (Chain Enervation ftw!), Occular Spell, and Arcane Reach/Reach Spell (to reach out and touch your enemies with) since these help you with the concept of being ray based
6. Metamagic oriented classes that make it easier for you to apply your metamagic to spells. I vote Incantrix.

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-30, 08:07 PM
Can I stack Split and Occular, thus firing off four rays at once?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-30, 08:08 PM
Pick at least one Orb, one debuff, then a bunch of Ray "no-save, just lose" spells that affect different targets. So, you'll want Scorching Ray, Cold Orb, and a Ray of Enervation, Enfeeblement, the Dex damage one, Disintegrate, and a few others that eliminate a single enemy from the battle permanently.

Also, talk to your DM about re-fluffing all of your non-ray spells. So a Fireball (DON'T TAKE FIREBALL) would be "A barrage of Rays shoots from your hand, hitting everyone present, other than the Rogue, who dodges completely, and the Fighter, who is struck only a glancing blow".

Edit: Yes.

Nohwl
2008-05-01, 12:12 AM
Can I stack Split and Occular, thus firing off four rays at once?

that would be awesome, you could shoot four lasers from your eyes instead of two!

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-01, 05:30 AM
Edit: Yes.

And if I Twinned it as well!?

So, there are no feats other than Energy Swap or whatever its called that arn't in the standard SRD.

What book is Icantrix in?

Kurald Galain
2008-05-01, 05:39 AM
Here's something else for your consideration...

Spellwarp Sniper

It lets you turn non-ray spells into rays with no level adjustment, and gives you sneak attack damage which you can add to rays.

I'm not convinced this prestige class is actually necessary, since there's plenty of ray spells to go around without it, but it's certainly fun.

Tengu
2008-05-01, 09:14 AM
Monk/Kensai, choose your fists as your chosen weapon and enchant them with Throwing and Returning. Wait, that's not the Rayman you meant?

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-01, 07:07 PM
What book is Icantrix in?

How does the metamagic abuse discussed in the Enervation thread work? That is, firing off a pair of Twin Split Maximized Scorching Rays sounds fun.

cupkeyk
2008-05-01, 07:59 PM
I think magelord (via a two level dip in Divine Oracle for no caster level loss) is an excellent prc past level 9 and also qualifies you for spellwarp sniper.

UserClone
2008-05-01, 08:01 PM
Technically, Tengu, wouldn't you need masterwork fists for that?:smalltongue:

cupkeyk
2008-05-01, 08:05 PM
Technically, Tengu, wouldn't you need masterwork fists for that?:smalltongue:

Natural weapons/unarmed strikes automatically qualify for that prerequisites.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 12:14 AM
How does the metamagic abuse discussed in the Enervation thread work? That is, firing off a pair of Twin Split Maximized Scorching Rays sounds fun.Arcane Thesis+Incantrix to reduce all Metamagic costs by 2, then using +0 metamagics to buyoff the remaining positive adjustment. So it takes 2 +3 metamagics and Energy Substitution for +(3-2)+(3-2)+(0-2) to leave it at it's initial slot. I believe Tippy can link to an 18th level example of this that does a minimum of 390 damage a round using 2 4th level slots. :smalleek:

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-02, 04:20 AM
Ah, I see now. So, an Incantrix with Arcane Thesis would have -2 on all spells, meaning that +1s and +0s actually make spells LOWER LEVEL.

So a Stilled Silent Blistering Maximized Fireball would cost exactly the same as a normal fireball.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 04:28 AM
Ah, I see now. So, an Incantrix with Arcane Thesis would have -2 on all spells, meaning that +1s and +0s actually make spells LOWER LEVEL.

So a Stilled Silent Blistering Maximized Fireball would cost exactly the same as a normal fireball.Yes, if you Arcane Thesis'd Fireball. The best spell normally is probably either Fire Orb (With energy sub) or Enervation. However, Tippy is the one you want to talk to about the best spells. I'm not an expert.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-02, 04:48 AM
If you can afford the prereqs, you might dip Archmag for the Energy Mastery (although there's little point if you have Quicken Metamagic and you make Energy Sub free).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 04:51 AM
If you can afford the prereqs, you might dip Archmag for the Energy Mastery (although there's little point if you have Quicken Metamagic and you make Energy Sub free).I think that is sometimes a good idea (especially with sonic being allowed). Usually, though, I would just take the Energy Sub feat twice and apply it in different orders based on what I expect to face that day.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-02, 05:00 AM
So, what are all the books I need to make my (insert long stream of metamagic phrases) death ray? I know arcane thesis is in PBH2, and Archmage is on the SRD, but where are incantrix and energy sub?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 05:08 AM
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Energy Sub is core. Emporer Tippy has a very good build you'll want to steal from called Cindy, and if you don't mind mentioning it to your group, there's a very good PrC in BoEF that's only 3 levels.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-02, 05:17 AM
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Energy Sub is core. Emporer Tippy has a very good build you'll want to steal from called Cindy, and if you don't mind mentioning it to your group, there's a very good PrC in BoEF that's only 3 levels.

Just thumbed through it. I saw no incantrix.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 05:20 AM
Magic of Faerun, sorry. I avoid that class completely, and AFB right now so I was going by memory.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-02, 05:24 AM
Magic of Faerun, sorry. I avoid that class completely, and AFB right now so I was going by memory.

ah. Got it now. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!

!

!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 05:26 AM
Yes, that is the traditional reaction to the class.