PDA

View Full Version : Happy May Day

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 09:47 PM
To all of you who don't know, tomorrow is May Day.
No, it is not:
1.A celebration of spring
or
2.A submarine sinking

It is a celebration of workers, an International Worker's Day, or Labor day. Many communists view it as a celebration of their ideals.

Although May Day has ancient origins, possibly linked with solstice, and equinox, where it lies approximately in between, it is currently celebrated as a workers, or communist day.

Wear Red!

Felixaar
2008-04-30, 09:56 PM
Also, I get the day off.

Da King
2008-04-30, 10:30 PM
It's actually May Day right now in my time zone. I guess I'll find something red to wear.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 11:25 PM
oh, happy may day then.

Destro_Yersul
2008-04-30, 11:36 PM
I don't think I actually own anything red. I've got this thing that's kind of a dark orange, but that's not exactly red, now is it? Plus I'm in Canada. Do we celebrate that up here?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 11:38 PM
sure they celebrate it in Canada...they celebrate it in Russia, and the USA, if they both agree on something, so does everybody else.

Edan
2008-04-30, 11:43 PM
Happy May Day.

Now, the obligatory USSR National Anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKRd2xQeq8&feature=related)

I need to wash a red shirt tonight.

Icewalker
2008-04-30, 11:44 PM
Ooooh, communism! Score!

I need to find something red...

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-30, 11:54 PM
somebody get BRC to this thread

Haruki-kun
2008-04-30, 11:56 PM
It's Labour Day in Mexico. No School!

W00T!!!!!

*sleeps late*

*eats junk food*

*plays lotsa videogames*

Destro_Yersul
2008-05-01, 12:09 AM
Ah. Well, Happy May Day then. I guess I could wear that shirt, it's got red on it...

and not by the pocket, either.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-01, 12:11 AM
We don't get May Day.

Besides, I really WANT to go to school tommorrow. You know what they say about May 1st. :smallamused:

dish
2008-05-01, 02:44 AM
In the UK May Day is celebrated with a bank holiday Monday, which is given on the closest Monday to May 1st. This year the Brits are celebrating the 1st of May on....the 5th of May. (Yes, we're weird.)

Totally Guy
2008-05-01, 06:39 AM
I'll be celebrating this bank holiday weekend. I turn 9000 days old on the Sunday so I'm throwing a BBQ. I've got a couple of boardgames, a couple of DVDs and even an old Eyetoy with games if I get stuck.

Jokes
2008-05-01, 07:09 AM
Don't forget it's also Star Wars day on Sunday.

"May the Fourth be with you."

But we don't celebrate May Day here...

BRC
2008-05-01, 07:52 AM
somebody get BRC to this thread

I have arrived.

I think the holiday started with a citywide strike in San Fransisco, which makse it slightly ironic that almost everybody except the US celebrates it as an official holiday.

Trog
2008-05-01, 08:21 AM
*Trog goes on high alert. He folds up his April umbrella and readies an action to use it in golf club fashion on oncoming hoardes of May flowers... or pilgrims... or you know... old ladies or whatever needs thwackin.*

zeratul
2008-05-01, 08:25 AM
Must,,,refrain,,,,from quoting....first of May by jonathan coulton.....

SilentNight
2008-05-01, 08:30 AM
Go Marx! I need to find something red to wear.

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-01, 08:38 AM

I've been playing that, actually...

'Cuz it's the first of May, first of May...
What?

Quincunx
2008-05-01, 08:51 AM
Ah, yes, one of those days which simply doesn't register on the United States' collective consciousness, May Day is. It's a celebration of spring for some folk, but again, a minority in the United States. Carnations are the flower of anarchy, roses the symbols of Tudor monarchy, the lily (fleur-de-lis) entwined a symbol of French. . .identity? monarchy? Does communism have a flower?

Assuming Jokes wasn't talking out of his rear end about the fourth, Leap Year 2008 prevented us from having this coincide with Free Comic Books Day. This is unfortunate.

Szilard
2008-05-01, 08:53 AM
I'm always wereing red.:smallcool:

dish
2008-05-01, 09:13 AM
I have arrived.

I think the holiday started with a citywide strike in San Fransisco, which makse it slightly ironic that almost everybody except the US celebrates it as an official holiday.

Haymarket Riot in Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Riot)? That's what I thought. But International Labour Day does have many origins, so I could be wrong.

It is interesting that it was the American Labor Unions who led the movement to standardise the working day at 8 hours. I think all over the world there are people who can be thankful for that.

InaVegt
2008-05-01, 09:38 AM
Well, it's not celebrated over here. We do have another holiday the first of may, but only this year.

It's a christian holiday that celebrates the departure of Jesus.

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-01, 09:55 AM
And that's exactly why you shouldn't celebrate that holiday.

Also, happy Laborer's Day everyone. Don't join any walks and you'll be fine.

Ranna
2008-05-01, 10:01 AM
any day that gets me a bank holiday I celebrate

tho I associate May Day with morris dancers and maypoles, but guess thats just me!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-01, 10:58 AM
sure they celebrate it in Canada...they celebrate it in Russia, and the USA, if they both agree on something, so does everybody else.

The Dutch don't:smallamused:

Narmoth
2008-05-01, 11:37 AM
Actually, the apropriate song is "The International" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTMQJi_wDi8&feature=related)

Jokes
2008-05-01, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Quincunx;4268728Assuming Jokes wasn't talking out of his rear end about the fourth, Leap Year 2008 prevented us from having this coincide with Free Comic Books Day. This is unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunate indeed. To my knowledge, I am not talking out my rear end. It's on wikipedia :p Although I am much more looking forward to Towel Day. Getting a few mates together to drink Terran Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters.

May is a top month for nerds :P

bosssmiley
2008-05-01, 12:11 PM
For the record: communism failed (repeatedly), and trade unions are nothing but a blackmail-wielding protection racket. :smallannoyed:
.(note: this will not stop me enjoying the Bank Holiday however)
"Now get back to work you grubby peasant! You can have the day off when you die." /Blackadder

On a happier note: Happy St. Joseph's Day (once again the long-suffering guy who actually did the hard work is forgotten), and 301st anniversary of the Act of Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707). :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2008-05-01, 12:17 PM
For the record: communism failed (repeatedly),

But as long as the Smurfs live on in their hidden Smurf village, communism shall survive.
Especially considering Smurfs are immune to radiation.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-01, 06:42 PM

I've been doing that all day. Needless to say, my teachers were no impressed.

Mr. Moon
2008-05-01, 07:00 PM
Unfortunate indeed. To my knowledge, I am not talking out my rear end. It's on wikipedia :p Although I am much more looking forward to Towel Day. Getting a few mates together to drink Terran Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters.

May is a top month for nerds :P

Oh, is Towel Day coming up? What day is it on?

TigerHunter
2008-05-01, 08:12 PM
Oh, is Towel Day coming up? What day is it on?
Seconded. This day intrigues me.

Jokes
2008-05-01, 10:13 PM
25th May is Towel day. It's also on a Sunday this year, so you should be able to get around carrying a towel without half the people thinking you're a nutter.

The other half will know you are a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

Edit: For those who still don't get the references, Towel day is to commemorate Douglass Adams, author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. To celebrate, all you need to do is carry a towel around.

DanielX
2008-05-01, 10:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken, May 1 is considered "Labor Day" in much of the world. However, the day has large connections with Communism, so we in the United States celebrate Labor Day in September instead. (This is one generic "day" with different days in different countries or religions - for example, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October instead of November, there are a whole ton of different "Fathers day"s and "Mothers day"s depending on country, most Orthodox Christians celebrate their holidays using a different calendar so their Christmas, Easter, etc. are "off" in comparison to when Catholics and Protestants celebrate them, and so on).

Mr. Moon
2008-05-02, 09:01 PM
25th May is Towel day. It's also on a Sunday this year, so you should be able to get around carrying a towel without half the people thinking you're a nutter.

The other half will know you are a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

Edit: For those who still don't get the references, Towel day is to commemorate Douglass Adams, author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. To celebrate, all you need to do is carry a towel around.

Hmmm, does that mean I celebrate it on the Monday after or the Friday before? Either way, I want to take a towel to school with me, since I'm bound to spend Sunday at home anyway. I'll probably do it on the friday.