PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if it's been done, shut up, it's different [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-30, 10:17 PM
Occult Spellmaster
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmg2_gallery/90086.jpg
Doriass the Wretched and his quasit familiar, Hokkotch.

Magic is a powerful thing, and it is said that power corrupts. Occult spellmasters may be living proof that ultimate power corrupts absolutely. These masters of spell and innate power focus their lives on being able to fuse those powers into a singular force to use as the ultimate arcane tool. Occult spellmasters are also just as capable as a warlock of similar power in creating the magic for magic items from sheer will and concentration.
Most of these masters of magic are known more as witches and unholy scions of evil and disorder than they are for their use in situations such as war or exploration. Most occult spellmasters whose nature is found out in any normal town or village is almost immediately run from or attacked by fearful commoners.

HD: d4

Requirements
Alignment: Any chaotic or evil
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks, Use Magic Device 6 ranks
Feats: Any two metamagic feats
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells.
Invocations: Ability to use least invocations.
Special: Must conduct a ceremony that fuses your arcane spellcasting with your innate invoking ability, which costs a total of 100gp per class level you have so far.

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (all, taken individually), Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Extra invocation|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Spell invoker|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Decieve item|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Extra invocation|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Dark spellmaster|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Energy resistance 5|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Extra invocation|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Imbue item|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Spell invoker|+1 level of existing spellcasting and invocation using classes
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Dark occultist, extra invocation|--
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Occult spellmasters gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level except 10th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an occult spellmaster, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Invoking: At each level except 10th, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level(including eldritch blast). You do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one invocation-using class before becoming an occult spellmaster, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Extra Invocation (Ex): At 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th levels, your invoking power mimics your spellcasting knowledge for invocations known. You gain an additional invocation known of any grade you are capable of using.

Spell invoker (Su): At 2nd level and again at 9th, your spellcasting power begins to mimic your innate magical abilities. Select a spell of a level equal to the highest invocation level you know. This spell is now usable at will as though it were an invocation, following all the rules of invocations. This new spell-invocation retains all of the qualities of the spell, with the exception of the fact that it is now an invocation usable at will(an example would mean shortening the casting time of a spell to a standard action being a non-option).

Deceive Item (Ex): Just as the warlock class feature(Complete Arcane, page 8).

Dark Spellmaster (Su): At 5th level, your spells begin to take power from the vestiges of your innate magic and vice versa. Select a number of spells you know or have in your spellbook equal to your Intelligence or Charisma modifier(whichever is higher), whenever you cast one of these spells the round after you use any of your invocations the caster level of the spell increases by 2. Additionally, if you use an invocation in the round after you cast one of these spells, the saving throw for the invocation(if any) increases by 2.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 6th level, you gain resistance to certain elemental force. Select two energy types, you now have resistance 5 to those two energy types. If you already have a class feature that grants energy resistance they instead increase by 5.

Imbue Item (Ex): Just as the warlock class feature(Complete Arcane, page 8).

Dark Occultist (Su): At 10th level, your arcane spellcasting and invocation using abilities mesh into perfect, dark unity. By taking a full-round action, you may use both an arcane spell and an invocation at once. Neither of the spell or invocation can have a casting time of more than a standard action, and the invocations you are capable of using with this class feature is limited to any that aren't elritch essence, blast shape or your eldritch blast invocations.

Stycotl
2008-05-01, 12:42 AM
nice timing. i have been concocting an invoker/sorcerer npc, and this would go very well with it. it was very nice of you to do a custom prc for me. how thoughtful.

on a mechanical note, so far i can find nothing that i inherently disagree with. it all looks sound, and flavorfully delicious. good job.

aaron out.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-01, 01:13 AM
nice timing. i have been concocting an invoker/sorcerer npc, and this would go very well with it. it was very nice of you to do a custom prc for me. how thoughtful.

on a mechanical note, so far i can find nothing that i inherently disagree with. it all looks sound, and flavorfully delicious. good job.

aaron out.

Gleeee! :biggrin:

SilentNight
2008-05-01, 09:00 AM
Nice flavor, nice power level. One nitpick. I would suggest disallowing the invocations gained via Spell invoker for use in Dark Occultist. Just to safe-guard against outrageous cheese.(Not quite sure what it would be, just to be safe y'know.:smallwink:)

Stycotl
2008-05-01, 10:24 AM
Nice flavor, nice power level. One nitpick. I would suggest disallowing the invocations gained via Spell invoker for use in Dark Occultist. Just to safe-guard against outrageous cheese.(Not quite sure what it would be, just to be safe y'know.:smallwink:)

they're mechanically the same as any other invocation. only diff is that this guy gets more.

ErrantX
2008-05-01, 10:28 AM
Hmm...

Hate to be the wet blanket but I gotta be it here.

First off: Your requirements for entry are good, but I'm a little unhappy with the special requirement. I don't like the idea of having to buy a Prestige Class but I don't really have a better idea.

Secondly: A dual caster progression class is getting a total (as written) 6 bonus feats. -That's freaking huge-. That's a major no-no in my book, at the very least. Things I would do with this class to make it more balanced and in-line with things is to eliminate Practiced Occultist entirely and the 1st Extra Invocation feat. That's three bonus feats at level 1 AND +1 to both Warlock and Arcane caster levels. I have to veto that.

Next: I'd recommend pushing the caster progression back to 2-10 instead of 1-9 to discourage the dip, and grant the first level of the class Summon Familiar so the Wizard's familiar progression isn't interrupted (as your pic shows a wizard with a familiar).

Next: Spell Invoker is very powerful, but I can see it's merit. But what I'd recommend is removing the ability to wear light armor ability in Dark Spellmaster. That's kinda buff for a dual caster class, it'd be fine for a warrior/mage combo, but not for a dual caster.

Your capstone is pretty cool, I'd probably allow for the character to cast a spell and aim an eldritch blast because it's cool, but that's me.

I like the concept and idea here, just think you should address the above.

Cheers,
-X

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-01, 07:23 PM
First off: Your requirements for entry are good, but I'm a little unhappy with the special requirement. I don't like the idea of having to buy a Prestige Class but I don't really have a better idea.
I wanted it to be something of a balancing factor, and there are so many things that wizard types and classical warlock types do that require expensive rituals.

Secondly: A dual caster progression class is getting a total (as written) 6 bonus feats. -That's freaking huge-. That's a major no-no in my book, at the very least. Things I would do with this class to make it more balanced and in-line with things is to eliminate Practiced Occultist entirely and the 1st Extra Invocation feat. That's three bonus feats at level 1 AND +1 to both Warlock and Arcane caster levels. I have to veto that.
I'm willing to do away with practiced occultist, but I'd like to keep the extra invocations, as a small compensation for the mystic theurge syndrome the class suffers from.

Next: I'd recommend pushing the caster progression back to 2-10 instead of 1-9 to discourage the dip, and grant the first level of the class Summon Familiar so the Wizard's familiar progression isn't interrupted (as your pic shows a wizard with a familiar).
So you mean get red of caster levels at 1st and 10th instead of just 10th?

Next: Spell Invoker is very powerful, but I can see it's merit. But what I'd recommend is removing the ability to wear light armor ability in Dark Spellmaster. That's kinda buff for a dual caster class, it'd be fine for a warrior/mage combo, but not for a dual caster.
Sounds reasonable.

Your capstone is pretty cool, I'd probably allow for the character to cast a spell and aim an eldritch blast because it's cool, but that's me.
I didn't want them to pull off a big damaging spell along with some eldritch blast or cone or what have you.

lord of kobolds
2008-05-01, 07:32 PM
burn The Witch!!!!!

The Necroswanso
2008-05-01, 08:06 PM
Class name makes me think of Behemoth's "Arcana Hereticae".

Anwyay, I will definitely have to show this to my friend who is playing a Sorcerer Warlock. He's only Level 6 and this is a good class to break into.
Cool class Krimm.