PDA

View Full Version : Project Genesis an idea

jdavidw13
2008-05-01, 03:17 PM
Hello,

I've had this for a project in my head I've been tossing around for a while. Haven't done much in-depth development of this idea yet, however I wanted to get your thoughts on the initial concept. It's a game, maybe game isn't the right word... Perhaps community building experiment with game like elements is a better fit.

The basic idea is that players are dropped into this untouched world, in which they extract the natural resources of the world to begin building player communities in. Players survive in the world by extracting "food" resources which will be consumed. Choosing not to consume food will result in a penalty of some kind which negatively affects the player. In this way, players are encouraged to work together to take care of basic survival needs so they can accomplish greater projects.

There is a construction/combination system where players can "combine" natural resources to form simple tools. These tools will provide certain bonuses to resource and food extraction, and are also the basic building blocks for more advanced tools and structures. The more advanced and complex the tool becomes, the more efficient it is at doing its job. Thus freeing players to pursue other interests.

There will be a combat system, in which players and communities with excess resources will be able to to build and support armies. These armies will need to be fed and supplied as they march across the lands. Players might use these armies to steal and pillage resources and equipment from other players, or use them to forcefully persuade other communities to join their own.

This is the basic idea for Project Genesis. What do you think?

UserClone
2008-05-01, 03:58 PM
Sounds a lot like Tribal Wars.

jdavidw13
2008-05-01, 04:17 PM
Hmm haven't heard of that one before. My inspiration comes from A Tale in the Desert, and this browser based game I tried years and years ago.

However, the scale and focus of this is on the player, and his role, or lack thereof, in the community. Hopefully, it'll encourage players to work together in managing their own town/community which then will be able to go off to bigger things. Because players must consume "food" resources to "stay alive" in game, different roles within the community must be filled if they wish to participate in empire building. For one, the food supply will need to be maintained if players wish to devote efforts to building and maintaining an army. Also, they'll need a good supply of natural resources taken from the world.

This isn't to say that all players must form towns and communities. You'd be perfectly capable of making a living by yourself. The design is such that when players work together, they can get more done than working individually.