PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing made simple?

UserClone
2008-05-01, 03:38 PM
Ok, not sure if this belongs in Homebrew.
I would like to try allowing players the option of single classing, normal multiclassing, or Gestalt, but with the gestalts having a significant xp penalty. Is 20% less xp or a +1 LA more appropriate? More? Less? Thanks in advance, playgrounders!

Kurald Galain
2008-05-01, 06:29 PM
Single classing is, in most cases, significantly weaker than normal multiclassing, so you may want to compensate for that.

Gestalt (if done well) is way, way more powerful, and gets more so the higher your level becomes. +1 LA is certainly too little. 20% XP boils down to one level behind, most of the time, as well. Gestalt doesn't really combine well with non-gestalt in terms of power level.

UserClone
2008-05-01, 07:43 PM
In what way is single classing weaker? From what I've seen, the normal multiclassing penalties ought to be enough for all but the cheesiest cherry-pickers. As for the gestalts, what about LA=character level/5, rounded up? So at 5th character level (ECL 6), they'd have to sit back and wait till the other characters hit 8th to get their 6th character level (ECL 8). Also, a 20th level party would have a 16th -level gestalt if -20% is used, so no, it isn't the same or even nearly the same as LA+1, at least not throughout. The more I think about it, 20% seems reasonable. Anyone else?

tyckspoon
2008-05-01, 07:48 PM
Single classing is weaker than multiclassing into prestige classes, normally. Multiclassing into only other base classes will typically be weaker than going single, and almost always be weaker for spellcasters; melee characters can usually get away with it because they're focusing more on BAB and HP that they can get from any number of classes.

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-01, 09:28 PM
I ran a game with gestalt as an option. If you strictly follow the XP chart, a gestalt charcter that receives 50% of the normal XP for his level is even with the rest of the party. I barred normal multiclassing anf theurgy PrCs from the two gestalt characters, but they were both middle of the pack, powerwise.

The final result is for the gestalt to sit at about 2/3-3/4 the average party level. It is imperative that you assign the correct XP for each character's level for this to work (the gestalt character has a larger base XP award then the rest of the party, because of his lower level, but that larger award is halved.).

Fishy
2008-05-02, 12:06 AM
The standard advice for this situation is to just let everybody gestalt. If your players only care about one class, suggest Feat Variant Rogue. A combination of weird LA's and disparity of power just seems too unwieldy.

UserClone
2008-05-02, 02:37 PM
And if you disallowed PrC's altogether, how would that affect this equation?