PDA

View Full Version : Losing prerequisites

Frosty
2008-05-01, 04:33 PM
I've got a few questions about prerequisites.

1. If I lose the prerequisites for a feat, do I lose access to the feat as long as my prerequisites are lost?

2. If I lose access to a feat, such as power attack, do I lose ALL of my class abilities from a prestige class requiring that feat, such as Frenzied Berserker?

3. If I am a factotum with 18 Int and I have taken Font of Inspiration 4 times, and then I get hit with a Ray of Stupidity, taking me down to 10 Int, what happens to my Inspiration points?

4. If I am a Frenzied Berserker (in frenzy mode) and get hit with a Ray of Enfeeblement and go below Str 13, what happens? I lose Power Attack, and hence lose FB features, and drop out of frenzy immediately because I don't have acces to it anymore?

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-01, 04:49 PM
In the Complete Warrior, under the PrC heading, it mentions that if you lose access to the PrC requirements, you lose access to all the PrC abilities except BaB, Skills, and saves. That being said, I'm not sure if this applies to feats, and I believe that there is debate to whether this applies outside of Complete Warrior.

Jasdoif
2008-05-01, 05:01 PM
1. If I lose the prerequisites for a feat, do I lose access to the feat as long as my prerequisites are lost?You lose the benefits of the feat, yes. However, you still possess the feat, even though you can't use it.

2. If I lose access to a feat, such as power attack, do I lose ALL of my class abilities from a prestige class requiring that feat, such as Frenzied Berserker?No. You still possess the feat, even though you can't use it, and possessing the feat is sufficient.

3. If I am a factotum with 18 Int and I have taken Font of Inspiration 4 times, and then I get hit with a Ray of Stupidity, taking me down to 10 Int, what happens to my Inspiration points?The FAQ's suggestion for usage amounts that vary by stat is to keep track of how many uses (in this case, Inspiration Points) you've used. Then you compare with your maximum to see if you have any uses left. This makes it easy to adjust usage by temporary bonuses/penalties and the like.

4. If I am a Frenzied Berserker (in frenzy mode) and get hit with a Ray of Enfeeblement and go below Str 13, what happens? I lose Power Attack, and hence lose FB features, and drop out of frenzy immediately because I don't have acces to it anymore?You lose the use of Power Attack. Naturally, any class abilities that rely on using Power Attack no longer function; but you retain other class abilities.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 12:41 AM
1. If I lose the prerequisites for a feat, do I lose access to the feat as long as my prerequisites are lost?You keep the feat, but it's bonuses are lost.
2. If I lose access to a feat, such as power attack, do I lose ALL of my class abilities from a prestige class requiring that feat, such as Frenzied Berserker?No, you lose the benefits of the feat, but the feat is a part of your character, so anything you have requiring that feat remains. If you actually lose the feat, you lose the class if it is from CW or CArc, but not anything else. Those 2 books have rules saying that if you lose a PreReq, you lose the class abilities (Except BAB, HD, Skill Points, and the like), but the rules break if you apply them to other books (see level 10 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm)).
3. If I am a factotum with 18 Int and I have taken Font of Inspiration 4 times, and then I get hit with a Ray of Stupidity, taking me down to 10 Int, what happens to my Inspiration points?You ask your DM, he sits there for a few minutes, then decides the Wizard hit someone else with that ray. I'd say if there's a RAW on spell slots, use that.
4. If I am a Frenzied Berserker (in frenzy mode) and get hit with a Ray of Enfeeblement and go below Str 13, what happens? I lose Power Attack, and hence lose FB features, and drop out of frenzy immediately because I don't have access to it anymore?No (see above). But if you did actually lose PA for some reason, then you would drop out of Frenzy, as you no longer have access to it.

Frosty
2008-05-02, 09:02 AM
You ask your DM, he sits there for a few minutes, then decides the Wizard hit someone else with that ray. I'd say if there's a RAW on spell slots, use that.

Rofl. Funny. Does anyone know the RAW on spell slots?

Pironious
2008-05-02, 05:50 PM
4. If I am a Frenzied Berserker (in frenzy mode) and get hit with a Ray of Enfeeblement and go below Str 13, what happens? I lose Power Attack, and hence lose FB features, and drop out of frenzy immediately because I don't have acces to it anymore?

No. Because you've still got above 13 str. You actual strength score is unaffected, you just take a "str penalty", as it isn't actual ability damage, I would rule this does not qualify for losing everything.

A.k.a "For the same of sanity, no, you can't nerf the melee monster with a first level spell"