PDA

View Full Version : Waay too many trees

Jayngfet
2008-05-01, 05:18 PM
so I was walking home today and long story short I picked up a bunch of baby cedar and pine trees halfway there, the problem is that I have too many trees in my backyard now and no place to plant them, anyone got any ideas?

TigerHunter
2008-05-01, 05:20 PM
1. Buy a ninja costume. Dark green is actually better than black.
2. Sneak onto neighbor's lawn in the dead of night.
3. Plant trees.
4. ???
5. Profit

Player_Zero
2008-05-01, 05:27 PM
Get some kind of allotment? ....Buy some more land? ...Don't bother growing anymore trees? ...Tear down your house and replace it with a giant treehouse of some kind? ...Tear down your neighbours house and replace it with some sort of giant mechanical super-tree which demolishes more houses to make room for more super-tree growing tree monstrosities?

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-01, 05:30 PM
OMIGOD giant tree house

Shas aia Toriia
2008-05-01, 05:55 PM
Umm, stop bringing in more trees? Get rid of your current ones? :smallconfused:

Zakama
2008-05-01, 06:13 PM
Plant them ALL in your backyard. You'd have a backyard forest! That'd be awesome!

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-01, 06:19 PM
Plant em' in the front yard! Everyone loves trees! (And it keeps the dwarves out)

DraPrime
2008-05-01, 06:46 PM
Ask people you know if they want any. If no one wants any then plant them in some suckers yard at night. (don't listen to the last bit of advice)

Mephisto
2008-05-01, 07:26 PM
Ask people you know if they want any. If no one wants any then plant them in some suckers yard at night. (don't listen to the last bit of advice)

Listen to the last bit more than anything else. Planting trees in people's yards in the middle of the night is the greatest sort of vandalism, because it beautifies.

TigerHunter
2008-05-01, 07:56 PM
Plant them ALL in your backyard. You'd have a backyard forest! That'd be awesome!
I plan to do this if/when I own a house of my own.

Fri
2008-05-02, 01:02 AM
1. Buy a ninja costume. Dark green is actually better than black.
2. Sneak onto neighbor's lawn in the dead of night.
3. Plant trees.
4. ???
5. Profit

"So, what is it looks like?"

"Definitely him, Sir. The modus operandi is perfect. We considered a copycat, but no ordinary thug would be able to do the crime as good as him."

"Any witnesses?"

"As usual sir, no. The tree was just suddenly there in the morning. The house's owner didn't see or hear anything."

"Curse that Tree Bandit!

dish
2008-05-02, 01:43 AM
Find out if there are any charities in your area which manage woodlands or plant trees for local beautification. If so, donate your excess trees.

FoE
2008-05-02, 01:50 AM
1) Become druid.
2) Animate existing trees.
3) Unleash them on neighbourhood.
4) Plant saplings in holes left by animated trees.
5) Sit back and enjoy the terrified newscasts.

Totally Guy
2008-05-02, 01:51 AM
Don't plant trees too close to existing structures, their roots can cause pressure on the foundations shifting the balance of forces. Or the tree displaces the subsoil, then at the end of the tree's life there can be structural problems if foundations were resting on the roots.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-02, 01:53 AM
I'd say that trying to give them to friends as a present would probably be your best bet if planting them all in your garden/front yard would block of light to your house and/or damage the foundations if they grow enough.

Jayngfet
2008-05-02, 02:08 AM
hmmm ...there is a bush out in my back yard I hate, that leaves a half dozen trees to plant.

what the hell do I do with six trees and barely any viable backyard space?

thubby
2008-05-02, 02:16 AM
make a bonzai forest!

some_other_dave
2008-05-02, 11:55 AM
make a bonzai forest!

BANZAI!! Uh, wait, I think that's what Face Of Evil was talking about:

1) Become druid.

...On the other hand, you could take up the hobby of Bonsai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai) gardening...

-soD

lord of kobolds
2008-05-02, 04:21 PM
tear up a small part of your driveway

soozenw
2008-05-02, 04:25 PM
Send them to me. I want MORE trees in my backyard.

Emperor Ing
2008-05-02, 04:25 PM
Plant em' in the front yard! Everyone loves trees! (And it keeps the dwarves out)

NO!! Whatever you do, don't do that! :eek:
Unless they're big trees. By big, I mean, at least the size of an Imperial Walker.

take my word for it, they look awful.

DraPrime
2008-05-02, 05:09 PM
hmmm ...there is a bush out in my back yard I hate, that leaves a half dozen trees to plant.

what the hell do I do with six trees and barely any viable backyard space?

If you have any woods around where you live, then plant the trees at the edge if you can. It won't hurt to expand the forest a bit. Just make sure it's not private property that you're planting trees on.

Rogue 7
2008-05-02, 06:11 PM
What Dragonprime said. Alternatively, look around in the forest for clear spots where the trees could possibly grow without as much interference.

Player_Zero
2008-05-02, 06:34 PM
So... Why do you like trees so much? I mean, I've watched Ferngully (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FernGully:_The_Last_Rainforest) an' all, but I don't go out of my way to plant trees and whatnot.

...Plus, Hexxus was cool.

unstattedCommoner
2008-05-02, 06:37 PM
1) Become druid.

6) ???
7) Profit.

Market them to your neighbours as a carbon-offsetting scheme.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-02, 07:16 PM
How many trees are we talking about? Also, what's the rough area of your backyard in terms of square feet? My family owns and operates a timber farm; I know a fair bit about how to plant trees. :smallwink:

skywalker
2008-05-02, 08:53 PM
Yeah, make sure they don't choke each other, and they don't get too close to buildings. Cuz then you'll just have to cut them down before they die :smallconfused:

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-02, 09:07 PM
Actually, if you want to get a thicket instead of a bunch of scattered trees, you're going to have to plant them fairly close (not really close, I'm talking about eight to ten feet here) apart, and thin them out when they get bigger. Without other trees around, they'll just branch out all over the place and pretty soon they'll look more like bushes than trees. Pines and cedars don't have this problem as much as other types of trees, but they still do better when forced to grow upwards instead of outwards to reach the sunlight.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-03, 06:56 AM
:durkon: Gah Thar trees are attacking!