PDA

View Full Version : Books to Buy.

Devin
2008-05-01, 06:23 PM
Hi! I came to these boards through Order of the Stick, so I don't actually know much about DnD(beyond what relevant information can be gleaned from board discussions), and I don't have any books. It seems like fun, and I've been wanting to get in on it for a while now. From reading threads here(and on the Gleemax boards), I think I have a good idea of some of the books I want. However, since I'm new to this, I don't actually know if buying these would be a good idea, so I'm going to list books that seem like a good idea, and you can guys can tell me if they're good ideas or not, and suggest other books based on my interests. Since this all hypothetical anyway, assume I have infinite amounts of money and time.

Player's Handbook(I assume it contains basic mechanics the game cannot be played without).

At least one Monster Manual; ideally, all five(monsters to use).

Tome of Magic(binder and, I think, warlock).(Binder stuff is all I really want from this book.)

Complete Psionics(obvious reasons).(Maybe not.)

Complete Scoundrel(spellwarp sniper, malconvoker, other sneaky goodness).

Lords of Madness(abberations).

Heroes of Horror(archivist, and general cool theme stuff).

Libris Mortis(cool undead).

Second Edit List:

PHB2
Core Rulebook Boxset(three in one)
Complete Arcane(warlock)
Complete Mage
Fiendish Codices 1 and 2
Planar Handbook and Manual
Races of the Dragon(kobolds)
Savage Species
Dungeonscape

I'm mostly interested in magic(usually not divine) classes, but I like the sneaks/skillmonkeys too. I'm not very interested in melee.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll edit the post later to make a second list of suggestions. If anyone knows any generally good books or books that seem like they would match my interests, please inform me.

AngryRussian16
2008-05-01, 06:29 PM
If you have never played before, I would recommend just waiting thirty-seven days.

Thats when fourth edition comes out

sonofzeal
2008-05-01, 06:32 PM
Player's Handbook 2 is one of the best possible investments.

Warlocks are in Complete Arcane though, not Tome of Magic. Complete Mage is good for casters too.

Tome of Battle is my current favorite book and while it's more for melee types, spellcasters can benefit tremendously by some of the feats provided, particularly "Martial Study" and "Martial Stance".

Complete Psi is not so good though, I'd stick with Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Monster Manual 3 is one of the most popular out of that series.

senrath
2008-05-01, 06:36 PM
If you end up getting Monster Manual II, remember to get the 3.5 update booklet from the WotC site.

ahammer
2008-05-01, 06:45 PM
If you have never played before, I would recommend just waiting thirty-seven days.

Thats when fourth edition comes out

ether way I would just get the
dmg(may not need this but is still usefull) ,
Monster Manual and
Player's Handbook
to start with then when you get more into the game you can buy some of the other books

ahammer
2008-05-01, 06:50 PM
we still dont know if 4th is going to be anygood but if you buy it now you can get 45 %(this is going down almost daly as they put out more data) off on amizon. (wotc heging it bets) so if you dont plain on the gamers to decide if it is good or not before you buy 4th you may want to buy it now.

Devin
2008-05-01, 06:53 PM
Hi again, and thanks for the quick replies.

To AngryRussian:
I realize that 4E is coming out, but 3.5 is the one that interested me enough to go through pages and pages of threads on multiple sites. I might try 4E, but I'm really just hoping that there'll be a contingent of remaining 3.5 players(and the people who still play 1 and 2 make this look likely).

SonofZeal:
Thnk you for actually contributing! I'll add Complete Arcane and Complete Mage to the edit list, and I'll make a note for MM3. I didn't realize there were two PHBs, though, and I thought I heard that XPH is much worse than CPsi. Was that the other way around?

Senrath:
Thank you. Noted.

Ahammer:
DMG will be added, and I was planning on the basics first. I guess I'll think about 4E if it's a lot cheaper right now.

General: I forgot to mention, I might be interested in books with a lot of races, and books about the planes(particularly Baator and the Abyss). No BoXD, though, and no BoEF. Thank you!

Gaijin Guy Jim
2008-05-01, 06:53 PM
I'd recommend getting the basics:
Core Rulebook Boxset-comes with Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Monster Manual 1(has the most common and widely used monsters).

Here are some others I like:

Exspanded Psionics Handbook(the exspanded version is the one you want-best psionics book to date!)

Since you like Arcane casters:

Complete Arcane (basic exspansion for arcane casters-THIS has the Warlock!)
Complete Mage (a follow up exspansion for arcane casters)

Draconomicon (Awsome book on Dragons-and lots of good sorceror stuff)
Dragon Magic (specifically about dragon related magic!-Even with a draconic version of the Warlock)

For Races:

Races of Stone About Gnome, Dwarfes, and Goliaths(New one)
Races of The Wild About Elves, Halfling, Raptorans(New)
Races of Destiny About Humans, Half Elves/Half Orcs, and Illumians(New)
Races of The Dragon Lots of stuff on Kobolds, but also half dragons, draconic, and Spellscales(New)

For the planes:

Manual of the Planes
Planar Handbook

Yeah, these are the books I like, and for the most part-all of these are highly regarded.

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-01, 06:54 PM
It always depends on your books. If you like Undead and Aberrations, then Lords of Madness and Libris Mortis are great. Heroes of Horror is an interesting read. There are dozens of books from specific campaign settings (such as Eberron and Faerun). If you like Dragons, you might enjoy Draconomicon and/or Races of the Dragon. If you enjoy Demons or Devils, you might use Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss and Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Manual of the Planes and Planar Handbook can be useful.

Do you intend on being a Dungeon Master or a player? Or both?

Citizen Jenkins
2008-05-01, 06:55 PM
I recommend that you not buy any books and just use this for your first campaign.

http://www.d20srd.org/

It's essentially the Player's Handbook, Monsters Manual, DMG, and Psionics Handbook all free under the OGL. Play with this and see how 4th turns out. If you like 4th switch over, if you prefer this you can probably buy the 3.5 books for pretty cheap in a few months but this is a good way to getstarted without plopping down $100.

Devin
2008-05-01, 09:06 PM
Okay, let's see. Changes made to OP.

TheCountAlucard:
I'd like to be both, but I'm not sure I have the ability to DM.

Citizen Jenkins:
How much do you actually need to know to play in a PBP game? If it's not much, I might just use the SRD instead of anything else. I'd still like to be able to play a warlock or binder, though.

General: What is the difference between the PHB and PHB2? Which one is in the Core Rulebook Boxset? Are there any books about goblins or fae?

I'm going to bed now, but I'll check this thread as soon as I get online tomorrow morning.

Bassetking
2008-05-02, 01:22 AM
Spell Compendium. Over everything else you have listed that is not "PHB", "DMG" and "MM". It is hands down that good.

Tome of Battle. Oh, so very many delicious, tasty, scrumptiouslicious things that can be done with initiators and their schools. There is no reason to play a fighter, when you can be playing a Warblade. No reason for a Monk with an Unarmed Swordsage. This book does a LOT to even the field between full-casters and Melee characters.

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-02, 01:46 AM
General: What is the difference between the PHB and PHB2? PHBII is a different book entirely. PHB is the Core Rulebook; PHBII introduces things like the Knight and Dragon Shaman, a handful of feats, the concepts of affiliations and character rebuilding, and general stuff on building backgrounds for a character/party for roleplay purposes.

Are there any books about goblins or fae? You might check Savage Species. It's got all sorts of information about playing "non-standard" races.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-02, 01:51 AM
Fiendish Codexes are good for extra demons and devils; as well as information on the abyy/hell. But to add some true evil to you game, Book of Vile Darkness is a must have. It's 3.0 but it functions really well in 3.5
And in that respect, you can go with it's exact opposite, the Book of Exalted Deeds.
They both offer some good options for being any level of good or evil.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-02, 02:33 AM
Player's Handbook(I assume it contains basic mechanics the game cannot be played without).
Obviously. Although 99% of the material therein is publically available on the internet.

At least one Monster Manual; ideally, all five(monsters to use).
If you're DM'ing, buy one only, and buy more if that works for you. Some DMs prefer making their own monsters. Certainly don't buy all five up front, and if you're not going to be DM'ing you don't really need any of them. Unless you're a character that focuses heavily on summoning.

Tome of Magic(binder and, I think, warlock).
The warlock is in Complete Arcane. TOM outlines three completely new and wholly different systems for magic, two of which suck big time. Certainly not recommended for new players.

Complete Psionics(obvious reasons).
This also outlines a completely new and wholly different system for magic, which doesn't exist in some game worlds, and which some people vocally like or dislike. Not recommended for new players, get the hang of the magic system in the player's handbook first.

Complete Scoundrel(spellwarp sniper, malconvoker, other sneaky goodness).
If you're into roguish characters (regardless of whether those actually have the rogue class), a nice idea.

Lords of Madness(abberations).
Heroes of Horror(archivist, and general cool theme stuff).
Libris Mortis(cool undead).

Fiendish Codices 1 and 2

Again, not necessarily recommended for beginners, and only appropriate if your setting is into undead. Archivist is generally considered overpowered.

PHB2
Definitely. Four novel and balanced classes, and a lot of spells and feats, this books is arguably better than the player's handbook one.

Core Rulebook Boxset(three in one)
If you're going to be DM'ing, buy it. If you're going to be playing, you won't really need the DM guide (all magical items therein are publically available on the internet) nor the monster manual (see above).

Complete Arcane(warlock)
Complete Mage
Great books if you're into arcane casters, although the former is better than the latter.

Planar Handbook and Manual
If your setting is into planes, interesting book. However, mosts settings aren't heavily into planes, certainly not at low level. So not really recommended for beginners.

Races of the Dragon(kobolds)
Meh. I find all of the "Races of ..." books artificial, and not nearly as useful as the "Complete ..." class books.

My personal recommendation is the Complete Divine and Complete Champion to fill up your "complete" line, and if you're also into playing divine casters.

But, you may want to buy just two or three books first, and then play awhile and see what is missing. Otherwise you'll spend the next year secluded in a cave reading all those books :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-05-02, 02:43 AM
I recommend that you not buy any books and just use this for your first campaign.

http://www.d20srd.org/
Seconded.

How much do you actually need to know to play in a PBP game? If it's not much, I might just use the SRD instead of anything else.
Not all that much, actually. Other players tend to be very helpful with such things, up to and including advice on building your character.

General: What is the difference between the PHB and PHB2? Which one is in the Core Rulebook Boxset? Are there any books about goblins or fae?
PHB = the first core book with the basic rules. PHB2 = extra book that attempts to make the game more interesting and balanced (it fails somewhat at the latter, although it is more balanced than the PHB1).

Spell Compendium.

Tome of Battle.
If you're into casters (SC) or melee-ers (TOB), both very good books. Spell compendium not recommended for beginners, since essentially it's a thousand new spells and you should get the hang of the hundreds of PHB spells first. TOB certainly recommended for beginners that don't mind a slightly more complex mechanic, as it is very easy with the PHB to make a rather ineffective fighter or monk character.

Book of Vile Darkness is a must have. It's 3.0 but it functions really well in 3.5
And in that respect, you can go with it's exact opposite, the Book of Exalted Deeds.
I find both of these extremely stupid, both in terms of description (I mean, come on, do you really need a new book to tell you that not all good characters are Piers Anthony-level lawful stupid, and that not all evil characters are psychopatic maniacs?) and in terms of crunch (BoED tends towards overpowered, BoVD tends towards suck; ironic, isn't it?)

CTG
2008-05-02, 07:51 AM
Hi again, and thanks for the quick replies.

To AngryRussian:
I realize that 4E is coming out, but 3.5 is the one that interested me enough to go through pages and pages of threads on multiple sites. I might try 4E, but I'm really just hoping that there'll be a contingent of remaining 3.5 players(and the people who still play 1 and 2 make this look likely).

That is fine, however when 4.0 comes out, 3.5 in all effects will more than likely be discontinued and go for sale dirt cheap.

Kd7sov
2008-05-02, 03:36 PM
Dungeonscape.

I sometimes get D&D books from the library, and a couple of weeks ago I got Dungeonscape. Most of the time I go through them saying, roughly, "Do I want this in my campaigns? Yeah... no... no... ummm..." Dungeonscape was more like "How can I use this in my campaigns?" It was the first sourcebook that caused me to say - out loud - "I need to buy this." It's got so many cool ideas for slightly-wacky or creepy dungeons, ways to make your characters better suited to them, and so on.

And, as a bonus, one of the authors is our very own Giant.

sonofzeal
2008-05-02, 04:33 PM
Thnk you for actually contributing! I'll add Complete Arcane and Complete Mage to the edit list, and I'll make a note for MM3. I didn't realize there were two PHBs, though, and I thought I heard that XPH is much worse than CPsi. Was that the other way around?
PHB1 = essential, but mostly online. Only necessary if you like pretty pictures, or want info on some of the basic gods.

PHB2 = several much-needed classes, including an actual Tank class (standard classes are absolutely horrid at the actual job of tanking), and a "gish" class designed to combine melee power and spellcasting far more fluidly than otherwise possible. There's also a massive list of variant options and concepts for most of the classes ever printed, feats to suit just about anyone, a large array of great spells, and a bunch of other stuff. No matter what you play, PHB2 has something for you.

Expanded Psionics Handbook vs Complete Psionics = depends who you ask. XPHB is a solid alternative magic system, using power points (like "mp" in most computer RPGs) rather than spellslots; Complete Psi is an expansion that actually reduces its potency in a number of ways ("nerfnerfnerf"). People who believe Psi was overpowered in XPHB like Complete Psi for that reason; people who don't, hate it. I personally fall more in the latter camp, and I think most of the problems with people thinking it was overpowered were carryovers from 2nd Ed when it WAS overpowered, misunderstanding the rules (specifically, augmentation limits), and not seeing its disadvantages against Arcane magic (which effectively has free augmentation, a vastly superior spell list, far better crafting potential, etc). XPHB is mostly online in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) though; check it out, and if you like it then get Complete Psi for more feats and powers and options.

Dungeonscape.
+1. The Factotum is possibly my single favorite class ever; not overpowered, just awesome.