PDA

View Full Version : Guitar

Gaelbert
2008-05-01, 09:35 PM
I could have sworn I saw a thread like this a while back, but I was unable to find it after searching through 11 pages of results (guitar is a very common word, apparently.) Anywho, I suppose that means I need to make my own statement/introduction...

I know there are some guitar players among this forum. This is the place to brag about your blazing speed, your influences, beautiful compositions, catchy riffs, your equipment, your dreams, whatever. Particularly good songs or guitarists would fit as well. Advice and tips for new people learning to play would be nice too.

Personally, I started playing last June and I've always been enthusiastic about practicing and playing, but it hasn't been until these last few weeks where its turned into almost an obsession. I can't really get it out of my mind, I'm practicing more often for longer, and having more fun with it too. This thread was intended partially as a way to let off some of the steam that this obsession has built up in my head. I play a Yamaha G-55A, which was my dad's old guitar 30 or so years back. I'm learning in the Hal Leonard lessons, and I'm just into the third book of those. My favorite guitarist, at the moment, is most likely John Frusciante, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I bought Shadows Collide with People, one of his solo albums, and it was excellent.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-01, 09:56 PM
I play, not very well.
I'm not quite at the master guitar player, but I can get the basic melodies and rhythms down. I've started writing music as well.

I'm getting a guitar for my birthday, and it's going to be some sort of semi-hollowbody electric. <3

Jae
2008-05-01, 10:09 PM
EXPECTED

I personally planned on learning guitar before track ate my life. because yeah I used to work hard in running lawl i was a silllywilly. spending all my summer doing double practices and whatnot. newaiz.

I know likeee..a few chords?! score. and im trying to make my brother teach me but he doesnt like me very much and my younger brother does but he's less obsessed and stuff. and the brother who is plays electric anyways, and I much prefer acoustic. so iunno.

Amotis
2008-05-01, 10:19 PM
Whoa, you're dad's old guitar is almost the same model I was handed down. Mine is quite old too, at least 35. If yours is anything like mine it would of aged beautifully and the tone's become this dark full whole sound. I love mine. You should get some classical books/private instructor to put that guitar to it's purpose.

Also got a '62 Reissue Fender Jazzmaster. Ocean Turquoise body and rosewood neck. Fender Pro Jr. All Tube 15w Amp and a couple of pedals.

My home recording set up is pretty minimal, M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4 w/ preamps, Shure SM-57 and SM-58, and Sonar 6 Production.

Influences usually lie along mixing classical training with cats like Nick Drake, Mark Kozelek, Bert Jansch, Ben Chasny, Elliot Smith, Nels Cline, etc.

Semidi
2008-05-01, 10:30 PM
I have a B.C. Rich Special X Mockingbird.

Though Rich is known for the heavy metal sound, I love my guitar because it sounds great playing the music I like to play (Some heavy metal, grungy-punk stuff, and 60s/70s rock) really well. It's also about $500.00s cheaper than it sounds, so that's great too. If I were to get another guitar, I’d want either a Gibson, a Strat, or acoustic.

I'm not a great guitar player. I like to play stuff like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Cream, Creedance, Joy Division, Hendrix (not well), and Alice in Chains. I mostly just like to crank my amp (VOX tube) up to 11 and play Black Sabbath and Judas Priest riffs.

I think I'm going to go jam now.

SDF
2008-05-01, 10:38 PM
Current rig is;

Rickenbacker Liverpool -> pedals -> Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410

I record using a Macbook Pro with Logic, a firepod studio, and a Blue Baby Bottle mic.

My influences for my personal music include good ol twee pop. (The Apples in Stereo, From Bubblegum to Sky) Northwest sound bands (Built to Spill, Modest Mouse) Indie; (Bright Eyes, The Decemberists, Flaming Lips) Post rock; (Caspian, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros) And finally, some punk; (Requiem, Refused, Generation X) Thats the short list, and I didn't list all the genres I like to incorporate, but you get the general picture.

FdL
2008-05-01, 10:45 PM
I've played for over 12 years. I'm self taught, and not very good, but I've reached a level in which I'm comfortable with my playing.

My favorite guitar is my '85 japanese Fender Jazzmaster reissue. I have a little 15 watt Marshall and a Boss ME-30 effect unit (a bit dated now, I know). My other guitars are in order of loveability, my Epiphone Telecaster, Fender acoustic (DG-10? cheap anyway), and my strat-ish but cuter Washburn BT-3, which is 3/4. I also have a jazz-bass and a little bass amp. I love to play that. I should also mention my Casio Ld-80 digital drum pad thing, which is so fun to play.

For recording stuff I use Sonar, a cheap Shure mic and recently an USB condenser from Samson that is pretty good.

I play for kicks and record stuff, mostly covers but I write some things too. I'd love to play in a band but it's difficult for me to find likeminded people.

Edit: Ah, currently my favorite guitarist is J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. I'm really into his style.

MisterSaturnine
2008-05-01, 10:53 PM
I've played the piano for 12 years now, but I wish I knew how to play the guitar. There's just something about the sound of it (especially acoustic) that I love.

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-01, 11:04 PM
Well, if you want good practice and dont want to spend a lot of money I can suggest only one thing. Guitar Rising (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Rising)

Ivius
2008-05-01, 11:10 PM
¡Usted debe romance la guitarra!

Brickwall
2008-05-01, 11:23 PM
My 1-year anniversary of guitar-playing is gonna be next month.

Given that, I'm actually okay. I can't read music, but I can manage to play songs, and sometimes I can even play and sing (if I'm very familiar with the song both vocally and...guitar...i...cally...yeah). I can perform some intermediate techniques. I currently own a cheap ($70) acoustic, and a nice electric of no popular brand (read: not one I can remember offhand). The acoustic is so bad that some things are entirely unplayable, since nothing above the 10th fret even works, so any songs with really high notes are out. My electric works just fine, but my amp is, in a word, evil.

Still, I marvel at the amount of abuse my guitars take without damage. I mean, seriously! My electric has the excuse of being in a case that could survive the apocalypse, but my acoustic is in a gig bag, and gets bashed around a lot. Not even scratches, and no (further) damage to playability.

Oh, I hope to get a lute someday, and learn to play it. And in celebration of that, I will learn to play the "Sir Robin" songs from Monty Python :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2008-05-02, 12:09 AM
Whoa, you're dad's old guitar is almost the same model I was handed down. Mine is quite old too, at least 35. If yours is anything like mine it would of aged beautifully and the tone's become this dark full whole sound. I love mine. You should get some classical books/private instructor to put that guitar to it's purpose.
I'm taking private lessons, but he hasn't mentioned anything about my guitar, so I don't know how well it's aged.

¡Usted debe romance la guitarra!
Tengo cuatro anos de espanol y yo puedo comprendo un poco, (insert upside down question mark here) pero porque estas hablando en espanol?

I can play and sing House of the Rising Sun. I have the chords memorized and I like to arpeggiate them. I can also play and sing Amazing Grace at the same time. I've noticed it's a lot harder to play and sing than one might think.

Here's a picture of me in a top hat a la Slash, and my guitar.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z270/coolcalbert/IMG_0687.jpg
I'm playing Stairway.
*hides*

Amotis
2008-05-02, 12:18 AM
I'm taking private lessons, but he hasn't mentioned anything about my guitar, so I don't know how well it's aged.

Was talking more along the lines of classical training, if that's up your alley, since it is a classical guitar.

Gaelbert
2008-05-02, 12:21 AM
Learning classical would be fun, but I've heard it was incredibly complicated amd complex. I really don't care what exact styles or genre I learn, as long as I learn. Although right now I have a certain leaning towards blues, jazz, and, seeing as I'm a stereotypical teenager, rock.

Amotis
2008-05-02, 12:27 AM
It is and isn't. That's why I recommend a private instructor if learning classical guitar. Not only is it quicker but it's easier then learning from a book. Learning classical and jazz quickly improves your skills not only technically but compositionally as well. Always good ideas even if it's just to taste.

valadil
2008-05-02, 08:41 AM
I picked up a cheapo for $20 after finishing college in '05. A friend gave me his dying electric as a birthday present and then a pretty decent acoustic when he moved and realized he didn't have room for it. It makes me sad that my capo costs more than all my guitars combined.

I took 6 weeks of lessons about a year after getting the first guitar. Through no fault of the instructor the lessons took the fun out of it. I think I like my guitaring to be spontaneous and expressive rather than disciplined. Anyway I'm pretty good at strumming away at random folk tunes and classic rock songs, but I lack technique. I'm hoping to try an instructor again after this summer since my progress has been stuck at bar chords.

Influence-wise I'm really into metal but for some odd reason I just don't like playing it. I think what it comes down to is that I like playing open chords better than power chords and mindless solos.

eidreff
2008-05-02, 02:11 PM
I have played guitar since i was 8 but have recently not practiced enough to call myself a serious guitarist. After an accident that damaged my fret hand I semi quit and it has taken a lot of sheer bloodymindedness to get me to pick back up. I currently own a couple of accoustics but am planning on buying a Gibson SG next payday :)

Sewer_Bandito
2008-05-02, 06:01 PM
I have a question for all you guitar people. What amp/pedal/whatever would you recommend me getting for a ska/reggae kind of upstroke sound? Right now I have an Ibanez Gio and an Ibanez practice amp that pretty much sounds teribble no matter what you do to it.

Amotis
2008-05-02, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure how good a ska sound you're gonna get out of Ibanez Gio and an Ibanez practice amp but an EQ pedal might be the cheapest and most efficient option without buying a new guitar or amp. Basically lots of treble, bump up the mids, and little or no bass. Usually a clean sound, maybe mid pickup, sometimes thin. Depending on what gen ska you're playing a chorus pedal can be used (for the earlier types) or a phase shifter (some of the newer cats). For amps I'm not to sure on.

FdL
2008-05-02, 08:44 PM
Bandito, I'd say not a lot of distortion though. Clean and trebly should do it, maybe with compression. Just what Amotis said is right. He knows his stuff.

zeratul
2008-05-02, 10:14 PM
I already play a little (mainly improvised shredding), but I'm probably going to start taking lessons in the near future. The guitar I am getting within the next two months is this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Paul-Allender-Electric-Guitar?sku=514471), although In the future I'd also like to at least try playing on a jackson randy rhoads model.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-05-03, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definately look into it.

Moff Chumley
2008-05-04, 02:37 PM
Well, I'm primarily a keys man, but I do love my ESP M-100. I mostly do tapping stuff, and am bidding my time before I can lay my hands on a Champan Stick. Mwa.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-04, 07:37 PM
Just been working on the Jeff Buckley Halleuiah. Or however you spell it.

*climaxes*

Tune.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-04, 07:45 PM
I've wanted to learn to play guitar for some time. We have an old acoustic in a closet that would probably be good enough to learn on. Can anyone recommend a good book/DVD or other such self-learning course?

Raldor

smellie_hippie
2008-05-04, 08:03 PM
Zeratul... nice PRS. I've had my eye on this one. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-McCarty-Hollowbody-I-Electric-Guitar-with-Piezo-System?sku=519919)

I'm still playing on my trusty Fender Stratocaster (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510590) (with EMG pickups, active at the bridge). I run this through my 120W Cybertwin (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Cyber-Twin-SE-Amp?sku=480867), and recently got the foot-controller (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Cyber-Foot-Controller?sku=420712) for it. I also picked up a Crybaby Wah (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-535Q-MultiWah-Pedal?sku=151016)... and I love it!

More recently, I've been playing a nice hand-me-down Yamaha F-310 acoustic. It's got good tone and the action is very playable. (For the techies on the boards... I've got buzz at the 5th and 10th on the high E. It looks like I have frets pulling up at the 6th and 11th. You think I'll have to get the whole neck re-fretted?)

When I get a better digital camera at home, I'll get some pictures of my actual axe... although I think I may have an older photo....

This is before the foot-controller...
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/smellie_hippie/DSC02299.jpg

Raldor... we can try and get you hooked up at the meet-up. :smallwink:

Moff Chumley
2008-05-04, 08:12 PM
I've wanted to learn to play guitar for some time. We have an old acoustic in a closet that would probably be good enough to learn on. Can anyone recommend a good book/DVD or other such self-learning course?

Raldor

Take piano lessons for six months-year. If your a talented musician, every other instrument will easily follow given a few months of practice.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-04, 08:32 PM
Take piano lessons for six months-year. If your a talented musician, every other instrument will easily follow given a few months of practice.

The imminent purchase of a new house precludes any significant financial expenditures (picks, strings a tuner and a book/DVD are probably about the limit). Said purchase will probably also encourage leisure activities that are cheap or free, like practicing a guitar. And seeing as I'm 32 and have never played an instrument in my life, the chances that I'll be a talented musician are remote.

Moff Chumley
2008-05-04, 08:34 PM
Oh. Well, it's worth a try.

Amotis
2008-05-04, 09:00 PM

Raldor

I don't really have too much experience with instruction books but I was given "Solo Guitar Playing" by Noad a while ago and I think it's pretty decent. Granted this is after I had learned guitar through private instructors so I'm not sure how easy it is for starters but from what I've read and explored of it I think it's quite comprehensive and approachable. It does concentrate a bit on classical playing and teaches you to read music and stuff, so I'm not sure if that's up your alley either. Oh, and it comes with a CD, very helpful. Another random starter book I was given used a while back is this one called "Play Guitar" by Barnes and Nobles books. Really, I'm not too sure on this one but the big plus is songs you know and constantly hand/chord shape position pictures which is very handy for a beginner.

Couldn't disagree more. He asked about playing guitar not piano. Piano's a great universal instrument, a must have for anyone who wants to compose or perform seriously and if he asked about picking up music theory that would of been my answer as well. But for someone who wants to pick up guitar? Goodness no. If you want to become proficient and good at an instrument pick up that instrument and exactly that one. I would even go so far as to address the people asking about if they want to learn electric/acoustic should I start on acoustic/electric? and state that pick up what you want to play.

I also am personally faux offended at your bottlenecking of multi-instrumentalists! My starting instrument of alto sax is sad now.

(For the techies on the boards... I've got buzz at the 5th and 10th on the high E. It looks like I have frets pulling up at the 6th and 11th. You think I'll have to get the whole neck re-fretted?)

Oh, sorry hippie, I almost missed this. Why do you have to type so small? :smalltongue: I'm not really sure without holding your guitar, it could have something to do with the bridge or nut being warped or (hopefully not) the fretboard or neck itself. It's the high E string only fretting out that is confusing me, though, making me think warping is involved. However, if warping is not the problem and the 6th and 11th frets are the only one's messing up I'm pretty sure you can get those two replaced if they can order the parts.

smellie_hippie
2008-05-05, 01:29 PM
Amotis: Sorry for the small type, thanks for the reply! I think the neck looks fairly true.
It stays in tune fairly decently.
There's no buzzing on any other frets or strings.
If I bend the note even slightly, the buzz is gone.
If I press straight ont he fret itself, it goes back into place (maybe moving 1/2mm but that's just a guess)

I'm just hoping to repair the thing for less than $30.00

I have to start saving up for the Martin I played at a store in Knoxville called "Pick-n-Grin"!! Love it!

Amotis
2008-05-05, 02:02 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not too sure then, different from the other situations of fretting out problems I've encountered, it is. The answer is probably obvious and just dealing with the irregularities of the two problem frets. What I can tell you is that refretting the entire guitar can cost $100-$500 depending on the quality and age of the guitar, but for single or double fret replacement that should go around $20-$50 total. Hopefully you can find a good deal as the guitar is pretty inexpensive and the parts should be too.

zeratul
2008-05-05, 02:12 PM
Zeratul... nice PRS. I've had my eye on this one. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-McCarty-Hollowbody-I-Electric-Guitar-with-Piezo-System?sku=519919)

Yeah That one looks pretty sweet. I like their SE line since they don't burn such a hole in your pocket, but still sound great. On the other hand I'm going to have to get some locking tuners installed on it once I get mine if I want to use the tremolo bar at all.

Moff Chumley
2008-05-06, 06:27 PM
Amotis, I think your wrong. After playing piano for a year, I picked up sax, drums, bass and guitar with a few months of practice quite easily. And honestly, after copying music for a few months, who doesn't want to learn to play something more original?

ZombieRockStar
2008-05-06, 07:23 PM
I have to start saving up for the Martin I played at a store in Knoxville called "Pick-n-Grin"!! Love it!

Ooh...yes. I love my Martin. Which, strangely, I bought to replace my old Yamaha F-310. :smalltongue: 'Tis an OMCXK2E (http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=OMCXK2E) (which I got for considerably less than the list price there...), lovely koa wood, beautiful bright sound (not as good when hooked up, but perfect unplugged), and very playable, compared to the Yamaha which I found had a rather difficult action.

Like Am and FdL, I also have a Fender Jazzmaster (http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/Lord_of_Cookies/P1016139.jpg). '62 reissue. Got the sunburst body and sounds as sexy as it looks.

My set-up: Boss CE-5 Chorus and DS-1 Distortion run into a Johnson 15W tube amp.

Influences...all over the place, really. I'm tending to write chorus- and reverb-heavy, melody-focused songs with simple chords...and then I'll suddenly switch to distortion-laden grunge. This dichotomy is summed up by the fact that I think Elliott Smith and Nirvana comprise the two biggest influences on me.

Shraik
2008-05-06, 07:59 PM
I wanna know, can any guitarists here explain to me how talk boxes work?

smellie_hippie
2008-05-06, 09:07 PM
I wanna know, can any guitarists here explain to me how talk boxes work?

According to Peter Frampton... they make you feel like I do. :smallamused:
*ba-dum-----crash*

If I was to hazard a guess, the tube running up the side fo your mic stand becomes a 'vocal filter' of some sort when you engage the box. Depending on how wide you open your mouth, you have more or less resonance that comes out and is picked up by your vocal mic.

Does it work without a mic? I dunno.
Do I know what I'm talking about? Not really.
Do I want one anyway? Yes.

Amotis
2008-05-07, 10:49 AM
Amotis, I think your wrong. After playing piano for a year, I picked up sax, drums, bass and guitar with a few months of practice quite easily. And honestly, after copying music for a few months, who doesn't want to learn to play something more original?

Did you pick up piano saying you wanted to play guitar?

And what does that even mean? Copying music? Original?

Supagoof
2008-05-07, 11:47 AM
I have to go with Amotis on that one Moff.

First insutrment I've ever played - Piano - 6 years before trying to take on Guitar. Sadly, I've never gotten the hang of it - found the appreciation for playing one. I think my hands are two small (Still have issues with getting both ends of the octave with one hand on the piano.) Though I have to admit that I'm now one who plays with frets of Green/Red/Yellow/Blue/Orange. :smallamused:

Learning the piano did help in transition to other instruments, as I do play drums (yes, both real and rock band - which is suprisingly not far off and something I'd reccomend to those who want to start drumming). I also play the big brass slide whistle - aka the trombone. But I think the help from the piano was in just reading music, not neccessarily in learning a new instrument.

Now here's a question for influencing minds - I would like to get a band together with friends of mine who all play the 6 strings. Problem is all want to be the lead. Another thoughts on how I can persuade one of them into picking up the good old 4 string, so we can actually get a balance going? 3 guitars and a drummer does not make for a very good band balance. I'm looking for things I can throw at them to either challenge and/or display why it's cool to be the man on bass.....Thoughts?

Amotis
2008-05-07, 12:02 PM
Now here's a question for influencing minds - I would like to get a band together with friends of mine who all play the 6 strings. Problem is all want to be the lead. Another thoughts on how I can persuade one of them into picking up the good old 4 string, so we can actually get a balance going? 3 guitars and a drummer does not make for a very good band balance. I'm looking for things I can throw at them to either challenge and/or display why it's cool to be the man on bass.....Thoughts?

Well depends on what kinda of band you're putting together. I know lots of people who run bands like that. You got lots of options even if you're putting together a conventional band. If you're just jamming without recording you can detune guitars/creative part writing/etc. You have three guitars and that means lots of leeway to separate parts into voices you want. If you're recording you even have more options, especially if you play piano and have a left hand. The Doors being an obvious example of that. Really I don't see much a of a problem with a different instrumentation. Even if you want the most conventional sound you can still get it. That only real problem I can see if that if your friends are in that mind set of lead, rhythm, and bass there's gonna be some clashing as there's gonna be an odd one out. Just try to get 'em to realize that three guitars means that there will sometimes have to be points when they're not playing the part they exactly want at points in time but that can be made up with making interesting lead-like parts. Or just go cajones-to-the-wall counterpoint. :smallamused:

FdL
2008-05-07, 06:11 PM
Awesome, Zombie. That's a handsome guitar there. It must sound fabulous. Although playability is very important too. More, even.

What you say about your influences is very interesting. Well, it also happens to me, as I like a lot of different music, sometimes I play more noisey, loud music and some times more sparse and acoustic mellow stuff. In all, Elliott + Nirvana sounds like a good combination!

Shraik: I'd wiki it, but out of the top of my head, I'd say that this is what a talk box does. The tube attached to it, that you use to talk to, somehow detects variations in pressure or volume of air, which then the circuit translates to variations of voltage (not unlike a wha does in a more mechanic way).

Moff Chumley
2008-05-07, 07:07 PM
Well, apparently I've been outvoted. :smallfrown: I suppose its just my personal experience... and yes, I started piano with several instruments in mind. Ever since seeing Geddy Lee have I wanted to be a multi-instrumentalist. Oh well. :smalltongue:

And for any bass skeptics out there, there is Tony Levin and there is Primus. Les Claypool makes any other guitarist look like an eight year old practicing scales.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-07, 08:39 PM
I sorta play.

I mostly sing, and write music, though.

I know enough guitar to be able to write well enough for it, which is good.

Amotis
2008-05-07, 08:47 PM
What you say about your influences is very interesting. Well, it also happens to me, as I like a lot of different music, sometimes I play more noisey, loud music and some times more sparse and acoustic mellow stuff. In all, Elliott + Nirvana sounds like a good combination!

Influences are interesting in general. I still haven't figured out how it translates to my playing because I know it goes into how I write music, I mean you can't compose in a vacuum, but playing is limited by my technical ability (and sometimes my wallet) so it's kinda cool how one translates sounds and styles they like into what they have and already know.

Related note: Elliot Smith and Nirvana combined just makes me think of Elliot's emoting storytelling lyrics juxtaposed with chorus yeahs. :smalltongue: (Yeah, I'm stereotyping on both sides. Go with it.)

"You don't deserve to be lonely
But those drugs you got won't make you feel better
Pretty soon you'll find it's the only
Little part of your life you're keeping together

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH (YEAAAAAAAAAAH)"

Gaelbert
2008-05-07, 09:53 PM
Flea- Bass player from Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's amazing.
My friend started playing piano, and now he's branching out to drums, sax, and something else. He's actually pretty good at the drums, and attributes it to his piano playing.

AngelsRetreat
2008-05-08, 01:54 AM

Well the most important thing for a band to get together is to have a common goal. If each member only wants be the lead player then why start a band? You'd be better off becoming 6 separate singer-songwriters. It'd be better to gather some people around you who actually have a passion for their instrument.

So, common goal then. What do you want to achieve? Do you have stories to tell through song? Or do you just love a genre of music and want to play covers in this style? The first case tends to be more rewarding for the soul. The second case more for your wallet. Get this common goal straight amongst your fellow bandmembers and you will have all the power you need to get gigs, make ladies swoon, soothe your creative soul, record songs, enter contests or make money.

So, that help a bit?

Brickwall
2008-05-08, 02:54 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't THE rock group, The Beatles, change who got which strings and which vocals throughout their songs? I know, at least, that the songs are not all led by the same Beatle. Point is, have them switch out. When they settle on a good lead, the rest can either stay as non-leads or leave.

Supagoof
2008-05-08, 03:27 PM
Excellent thougts. Thank you all.

Mostly it's the same genre of music doing cover songs. Current favorite group we're imitating is "Flight of the Condors", only rehasing it for fourpart rather then their two. Though our typical genre could be aspiring of Counting Crows, Dave Matthews, Seal....

As the drummer in the group, I just am trying to get them past the "I want, I want" to the "well I'll take a back seat for this song" compromising. Didn't think to use the Beatles as an example of how they could switch out. I guess the difficult part is getting them past the "That's my favorite song, I want to be lead on it" when for the three of them it's the same one song.

Plus, I really need to talk them into more upbeat stuff for a little more variety and variation on my end. Some times I just get a little tired of the soft stuff all the time. But ah well....it's a work in progress.

smellie_hippie
2008-05-13, 08:47 PM
Small question (partially with *bump* in mind...)

Playing along with an acoustic version of Creep by radiohead. Basically barre chords with an added 7th I think. Slide 3rd fret up to 7th fret to 8th fret... repeat. It's not a long song but after about 2 minutes, I get a pretty significant cramp at the base of my index finger used for barre.

I typically keep a "approved" hand position for playing, and have no problem playing barre chords. Any thoughts on an exercise regiment to work on this? I used to squeeze tennis balls, and lost my "grip-master" years ago...

FdL
2008-05-13, 11:03 PM

Playing along with an acoustic version of Creep by radiohead. Basically barre chords with an added 7th I think. Slide 3rd fret up to 7th fret to 8th fret... repeat. It's not a long song but after about 2 minutes, I get a pretty significant cramp at the base of my index finger used for barre.

I typically keep a "approved" hand position for playing, and have no problem playing barre chords. Any thoughts on an exercise regiment to work on this? I used to squeeze tennis balls, and lost my "grip-master" years ago...

Happens to me too, mostly on barre-chord-only songs. I'll listen for the answer you get.
I do get cramps too when playing Creep, now that I think of it!^^

poleboy
2008-05-14, 01:50 AM
I play this (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0190660712). Not American standard though, Mexican. Think of the señoritas!

AngelsRetreat
2008-05-14, 09:24 AM

It's not just about being able to pinch the chord, its also about relaxing your hand/barre finger when changing chords. Even when the chord slides you have to learn to relax your barre finger between chords. Release the fret board but keep your fingers close to it for minimal movement.

When you consciously train this for a while it becomes natural and you won't get cramps so fast anymore.

dungeon_munky
2008-05-14, 08:35 PM
I like to say I play guitar, but anyone who plays guitar will be able to tell that I'm lying. I'm completely self taught and dont practice nearly as much as I should if I want to be any good. Despite being very able to read music (I've been singing and playing the trombone rather well for several years, and used to take piano lessons), I still havent gotten off tabs. They're useful though, I quite enjoy trying to play the soundtrack of Monkey island. If ever anybody is interested in tabs for video game music, check out gametabs.net.

Anywho, my axe is an ibanez artcore (http://www.musicianslife.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/as73_5.jpg), which probably isnt top o the line (I wouldnt call myself an expert in that) but it gets the job done, and looks snazzy too.

AngelsRetreat
2008-05-15, 05:47 AM
Anywho, my axe is an ibanez artcore (http://www.musicianslife.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/as73_5.jpg), which probably isnt top o the line (I wouldnt call myself an expert in that) but it gets the job done, and looks snazzy too.

I play the same guitar! But mines bright blue :D Its a very good guitar, especially for that price range. Nonetheless, it's the player that determines if it sounds good.

Shadow of the Sun
2008-05-15, 07:28 AM
I'm a bassist, but every now and then I'll noodle around on a guitar.

After playing Wooten-style slap for a bit, I decided that I didn't want a slap sound for my playing, so I started playing more in line with bluegrass banjo techniques.

smellie_hippie
2008-05-22, 05:56 AM
So, which part of playing guitar does everyone find the most difficult?
Is it the speed picking and 'gallops'?
Complex chords?
Chord progressions?
Finger picking?

Share your trials and triumphs!

I personally have difficulty with chord progressions, and chord variations. After research at various chord websites, I find smoother ways to play songs, but it's a struggle.

B-Man
2008-05-22, 12:53 PM
Triumphs and defeats, eh?

Chords were designed to make it near impossible for me to play anything other than thrash metal.

Triumphs? I guess a couple of triumphs were the few songs that I've been able to finish writing (using Guitar Pro 5). They seem thrashy and grungy at times. If I could convert a couple of the re-worked versions into mp3 format, I might upload them at a later date if anyone would be interested in listening.

Brickwall
2008-05-22, 01:49 PM
Triumphs: For someone who hasn't had years of practice, I can nail chords pretty well. I can add flourishes that sound good to songs already written, and some other basic, useful adjustments involving theory if I have a lot of time or internet luck.

Defeats: I cannot do individual picking or strumming patterns at the same time as singing. It's really annoying. :smallannoyed:

mockingbyrd7
2008-05-23, 11:31 PM
I first started taking guitar lessons about a year ago. I learned a couple songs, liked it, but wasn't into it. I discontinued them when school schedule got hectic, and forgot about it. I'd occasionally strum a little at a party. My guitars became props for my room more than instruments. I don't know what inspired me, but about two months ago, I got into it again. And now I'm starting to love it. I've started writing songs and getting to the point where it actually sounds okay when I play. It's like all instruments; once you get to the point where you can actually make some cool sounds, it becomes awesome.

I've got a Red Fender Starcaster (in spoiler) that's not bad.

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10704235.jpg

I've also got a cheap plastic starter guitar that I'm gonna donate to charity, and a really, really nice acoustic-electric that I play almost exclusively.

Rock on!

ZombieRockStar
2008-05-24, 09:55 AM
Hmm, trimpuhs...learning "Angie" was pretty cool. No, not that "Angie." This one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjUWJtH88c) Probably because I practised it every day for, like, four months. Still play it all the time, since while I can play it, I haven't yet mastered it. *goes back to playing*