PDA

View Full Version : Shape soulmeld question, please help

Realms of Chaos
2008-05-01, 10:28 PM
Looking through the magic of incarnum sourcebook, I came across a particularly ambiguously worded feat, shape soulmeld.

The area of my confusion is simple. For our purposes, let's say that a whispergnome rogue, being the sneaky devil that they is, chooses to take shape soulmeld (kruthik claws). According to the language of the feat, the rogue gains the ability to shape that soulmeld.
The problem emerges at 3rd level, when the rogue, liking their soulmeld very much, takes shape soulmeld again, this time choosing the lamia belt. At this point, the set rules seem to dissolve.

My question is simple: can the rogue form them both at the same time?

There seem to be three different ways to interpret the effects of taking the feat multiple times.
The first, most beneficial way, is that each application of the feat essentially grants you a shaped soul meld "slot" that can only be filled with the chosen soul meld.
The second, medium interpretation is that you gain one soul meld "slot" each day, which may be filled with any soul meld you have taken the shape soul meld feat for.
The third, unlikely and quite detrimental interpretation interpretation is that each time you take the feat, you simply replace which soul meld you have access to with another.

As an extension of this question, what happens if someone of an incarnum-using class takes the feat. Obviously, the feat gains them access to soul melds from other class lists and reduces your meldshaper level to 1/2 your class level for said soulmeld. However, do the soul meld slot(s) stack with those granted by the class itself.

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-01, 10:40 PM
The feat allows you to shape that soulmeld, completely independent of slots. So your most favorable interpretation is correct. In point of fact, I've had an Incarnate use that feat to get extra soulmelds before. Which likely puts me in the minority of people that have played Incarnum, like it, and wish there was more material out there to supplement it.

Chronos
2008-05-02, 12:47 AM
If you really want to break that feat, play a chameleon. Remember, soulmelds stay shaped indefinitely, until you unshape them. So you could pick up Shape Soulmeld: Kruthik Claws one day, and shape claws for yourself. Then the next day, keep the soulmeld, but change the feat to Shape Soulmeld: Blink Shirt. Continue, until you have your favorite soulmeld for each of your ten body slots. Congratulations, you now have all the capabilities of a 20th-level incarnate, at CL 7.

Fixer
2008-05-02, 07:16 AM
Each soulmeld occupies a body slot specified in the soulmeld description. Two soulmelds cannot occupy the same body slot (barring some feat or class ability that overrides this, yadda yadda).

Other than that restriction, you can have as many soulmelds shaped as you desire at once. Remember, however, that your essentia pool (if you have one) is limited and you can only use those limited number of points divided among ALL your soulmelds.