PDA

View Full Version : What's the cage all about?

Zeitgeist
2008-05-02, 01:06 AM
I didn't see any threads on this yet, though it's entirely possible I missed it, but what on Earth is that little cage next to V? I figure the answer is fairly obvious which is why nobody has asked, but I have no clue what it is.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-05-02, 01:14 AM
Nope, I do not think anyone has a real idea of what is in it, though it has been speculated a bit in the main thread.

Personally, I am sticking to my idea that it is a frog and Blackwing. Goodness knows how that would make sense, but I am sticking to it nonetheless. :smallcool:

Corrupted One
2008-05-02, 01:51 AM
My speculation is that it is the tracking animal V mentioned a few strips earlier.

dish
2008-05-02, 01:59 AM
^Agreed. In 508 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0508.html) V was planning to enchant a 'finding animal' to search for the missing party members. Thus it would make sense if Blackwing (or another bird) was in the cage. A frog? or a turtle? doesn't make so much sense.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-05-02, 04:38 AM
Homing tortoises, because there aren't any pigeons on the island.

Mando Knight
2008-05-02, 04:48 AM
The animal's shape is consistent with that of the turtle shown in 551, so I think it's mostly assumed that it's a turtle.

SPoD
2008-05-02, 05:21 AM
If you blow it up, it's actually three separate small shapes: one blue, one yellow, and one green. Thus, it is likely three birds captured for the finding spell: one for Haley, one for Belkar, one for Roy (if they managed to raise him on their own).

OITS
2008-05-02, 05:40 AM
Recipe for Finding Animal:

Take a tortoise
Cast "Haste" on the tortoise
Cast "Fly" on the tortoise
Cast finding spell on the tortoise

What's the problem with a tortoise?

Cen
2008-05-02, 07:20 AM
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3533/beztytuubs6.png
Here's some zoom on what's inside the cage
That green thing on the right looks like some kind of a reptile to me...

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-02, 08:26 AM
A teenage mutant ninja turtle!

That can fly!

FujinAkari
2008-05-02, 08:29 AM
It is clearly a rock 'em sock 'em toy featuring Leonardo and a Foot Ninja

lord of kobolds
2008-05-02, 11:06 AM
the green thing looks kinda serpentine to me

Zeitgeist
2008-05-02, 12:55 PM
Looks like V when he was a lizard, kinda.

David Argall
2008-05-02, 01:38 PM

Take a tortoise

Well, the main problem would be that in 3.5 Haste and Fly are short term spells, so the tortoise would get far enough away from the island to fall into very deep water, and not nearly far enough to reach the targets speculated about.

Looks like V when he was a lizard, kinda.
Yes, that was my first thought. However the main thing the enlargement does is establish that we are only guessing. We have a hint something is in the cage and that it will play a part in a few strips [or a few hundred] in the future. But we can't get much closer than that for now.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-05-02, 01:48 PM
I think V has just become a lich (in order to fight fire with fire) and, in the senility brought on by lack of sleep, thought that putting his phylactery in a cage would be a great way to protect it.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-05-02, 02:42 PM
I think V has just become a lich (in order to fight fire with fire) and, in the senility brought on by lack of sleep, thought that putting his phylactery in a cage would be a great way to protect it.

No. Just no. For one V is not evil or dead, and as far as senility from lack of sleep, he doesn't sleep. He meditates. Even so, he most likely doesn't have the feats to craft his own phylactery. So no.

Timberboar
2008-05-02, 03:47 PM

Take a tortoise

Did anyone else just have a MarioKart flashback?

Stupid homing turtles.

Anglabbey
2008-05-02, 05:32 PM

This = EPIC

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-02, 05:37 PM
Strangly enough, the idea of "homing parakeets" jumped into my head when I first saw the cage.

Meh... I'm probably wrong, but that's my theory.

Jayngfet
2008-05-02, 05:56 PM

Stupid homing turtles.

seconded, I've only played a few games but I can remember those stupid turtles.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-05-02, 11:36 PM
I dunno. Call me crazy, but I can't see an animal in the cage.

What I can see is Elan's old green/blue outfit though. Although don't ask me why it's in a cage, maybe it's a ragamuffin.

Tyrmatt
2008-05-03, 04:08 AM
Left hand side says Blackwing to me. Right hand side is a small green lizard, in the middle a scroll tied with a yellow ribbon. Seems to me V's building a new creature as a tracker.

Quorothorn
2008-05-03, 12:06 PM

Stupid homing turtles.

I'll third that.

Though at least none of them appear to be spiked...

Mewtarthio
2008-05-03, 02:58 PM

Stupid homing turtles.

Don't be ridiculous. The homing turtles were red and occasionally blue. The green ones just went straight forward.

TigerHunter
2008-05-03, 03:47 PM
1 round/level duration on Haste and 1 minute/level duration on Fly.

OITS
2008-05-04, 08:28 AM
Next time, I'll make it clear, if something isn't meant to be totally serious.

Laurentio
2008-05-05, 07:46 AM
Next time, I'll make it clear, if something isn't meant to be totally serious.
You should, but it's a waste of time. There is people that won't take you seriously, and people that will no matter what you write. But yes, it help.

Anyway, from the exploded picture, it seems me two bird and an egg.
Chocobo breeding? Green and blue... black Chocobo? this way they can go home! (but not take Knights of the Round)

Laurentio

Caractacus
2008-05-05, 12:33 PM
I also thought that the green blob looked like V when he was a reptile. Heh, good days, good days... :smallcool:

Whatever the items/animals are, it pretty much HAS to be connected to his attempts to locate the others, and is very likely part of a cunning reconnaissance drone that requires only the addition of a turtle to make it complete... :smalltongue:

Animefunkmaster
2008-05-05, 12:49 PM
Material components for a spell that will be used to find hailey.

Gargor
2008-05-05, 09:19 PM
I would guess Birds.

Ruduen
2008-05-05, 09:24 PM
The new comic has pretty much made it clear that they're birds. You can see the wings and beaks and such, and he calls them avians.

Shad0wyone
2008-12-15, 11:04 PM
I say that it's 2 birds and a ball of...bird seed or something.

theinsulabot
2008-12-15, 11:08 PM
actually its 3 birds. the same 3 birds v later used as messengers but were eaten by haley and the others

Raging Gene Ray
2008-12-15, 11:10 PM

And now for some speculation that actually makes some sense:
This thread will be locked for Thread Necromancy.

Assassin89
2008-12-15, 11:13 PM

I think that over three months have passed and this thread went beyond page 3, but the decision is up to the mods

As for the cage, it is a bird cage.

ref
2008-12-16, 07:50 AM
I gotta agree with RGR... it took a while to understand what this was about, hehe.

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-16, 10:27 AM

Sheriff of Moddingham: Indeed.