PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand Of Doom Restructure, Spoilers

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-02, 05:07 PM
I will(hopefully) be running a PBP version of Red Hand of Doom on the forums, but I have a tiny bit of a problem. Two of the guys planning on playing it have gotten to the end of the first boss battle. To everyone who doesn't want spoilers, stop reading now. And that goes double for you, Zach, Jeremy, and anyone else who wants in the game.

Now then, what I want is to restructure several of the events that happen in the first section of the game. To those of you unfamilar of what happens, I'll list the major events that they played through:
1. Ambush by Hobgoblins(Starts the Champaign, details found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060202a&page=2))
2. Met/find ranger, persuade to help
3. Attacks by Hydra
4 Vaarth Keep

I think I can use the same layout for the first encounter, as they can't really plan/metagame out of it due to the fact that it literally is the first thing that happens in the campaign. Also, the encounter with the ranger should be non-violent, and should go alright. My main problems are the Hydra and the Vaarth Keep encounter(which is really several encounters happening at once). When they met the hydra in my previous run, they metagamed quite a bit, somewhat justified to the way it was set up, though even then they assumed correctly that because I described something, there was an encounter involved.

The Hydra encounter begins by describing a bridge over water. As the players cross, a hydra comes up to the bridge and begins to attack the party. Unfortunately, the players realized this and were able to prepare for it, and pretty much annihilated the hydra on the first round. Now, I've decided that I will describe the same situation, but it will not involve a hydra. My initial thought is to have the bridge be hard to cross(slippery or something), or have some other monster in its place. So, what other monsters would work in such a situation? The PC's have to go across in this manner, so something non-destructive in regards to the bridge would be appreciated. The challenge should be appropriate for 4-6 5th level characters as a Cr 6 encounter.

Vaarth keep involves several encounters, which are as follows:

A) A cr 2 trap, this involves a building that will easily collapse. I was thinking of switching this with another room, which should solve the problem.

B) Manticore(EL 5)- I would like to find a possible substitute for this one, so suggestions would be welcome

C)Barracks+Leaders-This one is fine, as I really didn't run it well last time, so it should work well.

Edit: This is for people who have run it before; Is 5 a good starting level? The books seems to switch between 5 and 6 as starting levels, so I'm a bit unsure. Also, do you think changing clerics to the cloistered version and making druids take the shapeshift variant be too big a nerf for this campaign?

The Sandman
2008-05-02, 08:29 PM
Juvenile aboleth in the water.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-02, 09:37 PM
I'm not seeing an entry for a Juvenal Aboleth, and the entry in the Srd seems to be much more powerful than a Cr 6, especially since it would likely get a surprise round against the party. Anything a bit easier on a party?

RTGoodman
2008-05-02, 10:21 PM
(Spoilers in white text, so no one reads things they shouldn't.)

Maybe instead of the Hydra, take a look at the other suggested Random Encounters somewhere in Part I of the adventure. I don't have my books unpacked, but there should be some that could work. I think I ended up throwing a couple of Girallons against my party, but they were 6th level and a little too strong for their level (they all rolled stats and got to pick one set, and happened to end up with something like 48-point buy).

Instead of the standard stuff at Vraath Keep, I'd first eliminate the collapsing shack (since it seemed kinda silly to me anyway), give a couple of different ways into the Keep (my players climbed some vines and ended up on the walls, vulnerable to attack by the Manticore, and then the Minotaur and others started climbing the walls after them).

As for Wyrmlord Koth, instead of just having him hanging out in the Keep, have him come in partway through the battle in the courtyard or barracks, astride a Chimera mount, which would replace the Manticore. It's not like there are too few of those throughout the rest of the adventure anyway.

I don't think using your changes to Druids would do too much to gimp players, but I'd almost suggest against using Cloistered Clerics. I mean, RHoD is primarily a military campaign, and when in doubt it wouldn't hurt to have a spare melee character in the wings.

Jeramiahh
2008-05-03, 12:05 AM
I'm enjoying a run through of this, myself; my players just finished Chapter four, a perfectly climactic battle, if I must say so, myself.

I'll spoiler all of my suggestions, adding in some notes on what I used and enjoyed.

I'd replace the Manticore with a Wyvern, actually; similar CR, just one higher (and the manticore's easy enough as is.) I had the wyrmlord enter the battle near the end, when the minotaur started suffering, invisible, having traded Detect Thoughts for Invisibility, and dropping some a pair of Lightning bolts before the players could react to him. Adding some buffs to him, too, makes him a lot more brutal... assuming, of course, they don't get the drop on him.

For the hydra... I had it even worse; they figured out it was hiding behind the wagon, lured it out with spells, and bombarded it to death before it could reach them. To keep them on their toes, a pair of monsters might be scarier; say, a pair of CR 4 Giant crocodiles? Or three, if you're party's mean enough; I know mine was.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-03, 09:05 AM
Those are great! Especially Jeramiahh's. by the way, what level did you start at?