PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Barbarian?

Segial
2008-05-02, 05:19 PM
I recently read "Wee Free Men" and I got the idea of building a character like one of the Wee Free Men in the story. Background would be something like him beeing a protector of a druid circle and during a big battle he died and got reincarnated and ended up in the body of a tiny fey. How would you optimize such a character, class, feats, race ect? I was thinking 24 points point-buy, wbl and 6th level, and it's supposed to be an in-your-face melee character.

Squidmaster
2008-05-02, 05:23 PM
definitely go for weapon finesse.

Signmaker
2008-05-02, 05:25 PM
Attempt to boost your intimidate as high as physically possible. Yes, the size difference impacts your check heavily, but it just wouldn't be a tinybarb without the slight chance that tinybarb can scare the heck out of you.

bosssmiley
2008-05-02, 05:29 PM
IIRc there are several 'giant fighter' feats in "Races of Short" that allow smaller characters to hold their own against larger ones in grapples and the like. You might want to look those over.

The dirty fighting feats from "Complete Meatshield Warrior" would also be appropriate for a Feegle, as would a level of Ranger with favoured enemy:lawyers. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2008-05-02, 05:41 PM
Don't you mean "Races of the Wild?"

Reaper_Monkey
2008-05-02, 05:43 PM
You'll do fine as long as you have a PLN, otherwise don't even think about it =D

EDIT:

Id also advice using the Berserker Strength from PHB2, I have a feeling you will get knocked about a bit eventually, and having constantly running Rage while on low health will probably be more useful that once/twice triggerable Rage at lower levels. The AC deduction might be a small problem, but you might be able around that with natural AC from some feats... you could convince your DM to give it to you along with the new body actually.

FlyMolo
2008-05-02, 09:16 PM
Get confound the Big Folk, and Underfoot. I dont remember where from, but they're exactly what you want in a feegle. See if you can convince your DM to give you normal strength, just because it would be awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Hal
2008-05-03, 07:30 AM
There's a weapon enhancement, I don't recall the specifics at the moment, but it gets a bonus to hit in a grapple equal to the penalty you normally take for being smaller. So, if you're a size category smaller than your foe, your grappling weapon gets +4 to hit, and so on.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-03, 07:51 AM
The single most important thing - on which the feasibility of all Tiny melee builds rests - is getting a way to avoid AoOs every single time, because you'll provoke whenever you try to get close enough to hit anything (reach 0 ft.), and enemies can force you to provoke again every single round by taking 5-foot steps.

Tumble isn't a Barbarian class skill, but I think there's some tactical feats for this. Underfoot Combat, maybe?

Worira
2008-05-03, 08:31 AM
Plus you can't tumble in a rage.

Foolosophy
2008-05-03, 08:51 AM
wouldn tiny reach weapons help increase your reach to 5ft or would it double your natural reach to....zero

Jack_Simth
2008-05-03, 09:01 AM
I recently read "Wee Free Men" and I got the idea of building a character like one of the Wee Free Men in the story. Background would be something like him beeing a protector of a druid circle and during a big battle he died and got reincarnated and ended up in the body of a tiny fey. How would you optimize such a character, class, feats, race ect? I was thinking 24 points point-buy, wbl and 6th level, and it's supposed to be an in-your-face melee character.

Let's see... at 6th level, you'll probably want a Gnome, and "hire" Reduce Person and Permanency. That'll get you to Tiny with no level adjustment.

monty
2008-05-03, 09:37 AM
wouldn tiny reach weapons help increase your reach to 5ft or would it double your natural reach to....zero

Technically, your reach is 2.5 feet, but since there aren't rules for half a square, it's treated as effectively zero. But a reach weapon does increase it to 5 feet (My friend is playing a petal (tiny fey) with a spiked chain, and it works surprisingly well, especially with the +10 to dex and weapon finesse).

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-03, 10:04 AM
Well, if you were homebrewing a proper feegle, it'd be something like:

+8 Str
+4 Con
-2 Wis (they're a bit foolhardy...)
-2 Int (They aren't unintelligent as such, but they don't use their intelligence).

Tiny size, probably a bit of LA with those stats...

Skill mods would be something like +8 Intimidate (they can intimidate a human just as well as any normal human...), +2 saves vs. fear.

Segial
2008-05-04, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the input. :smallbiggrin:

I drafted a first version, it ended up with a CL of 9. It actually worked out quite well, I really think this is playable.

Stats:
16 14 13 9 8 10 (24pt)
9 24 18 14 8 18 (by race)
10 24 18 14 8 18 (level progression)

"Rob Anybody"
Male Petal Barbarian 2/ Fighter 2/ Swashbuckler 3
Chaotic Good

Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 24 (+7)
Constitution 18(+4)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 08 (-1)
Charisma 18 (+4)
Size: Tiny

Total Hit Points: 71

Speed: 25 feet / 60 feet (flying)

Armor Class: 20 = 10 +1 [armor] +7 [dexterity] +2 [size]
Touch AC: 19
Flat-footed: 11

Initiative modifier: +7 = +7 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: +13 = +9 [base] +4 [constitution]
Reflex save: +9 = +1 [base] +7 [dexterity] +1 [competence]
Will save: +0 = +1 [base] -1 [wisdom]

Attacks:
Melee Dagger +15 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2) (P/S)

Feats:
Close-Quater Fighting
Monkey Grip
Giant Bane
Weapon Finess
Underfoot Combat
Two-Weapon Combat

Skills: (maxed)
Climb
Escape Artist
Hide
Intimidate
Tumble

Racial abilities:
Low-Light Vision
Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron
Song

Class abilities:
Rage 1/day
Uncanny Dodge
Insightful Strike

Equipment:
Dagger
Dagger
Tiny Padded Leather Armor

holywhippet
2008-05-04, 04:52 PM
To properly do a feegle you need to house rule in a feat- weapon focus: headbutt.

They should also be forced to make a save vs. fear at -4 in the presence of lawyers.

StoryKeeper
2008-05-04, 05:38 PM
ah, a friend of mine has plans to play a Grig barbarian in o;en o;f my current campaigns.