PDA

View Full Version : Wolf LA

dman11235
2008-05-02, 05:57 PM
Just curious, what LA would the community give to an awakened wolf?

Personally, I'm thinking a +1 at the most.

DementedFellow
2008-05-02, 05:59 PM
considering how an awakened beast has two magical animal hit dice (assuming said wolf was awakened by a druid) then I would agree with it.

bosssmiley
2008-05-02, 06:10 PM
+0. No opposable thumbs (so no wielding weapons, scrolls, wands, lock picks, holy symbols, etc.), the cost of custom-made equipment and natural humanoid prejudice against "that talking dog" = major disadvantage.

dman11235
2008-05-02, 06:17 PM
Two things: one, it'll have 4 magical beast HD, so yeah, that's a lot of racial HD, and two, you can easily get around the no weapon thing. Gloves of Man (SS), monk, etc. And you have a bite. Though I might change my mind to a +0. If it is a +1, it's a weak +1. Stupid racial HD. Custom equipment is a valid point though.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-02, 06:38 PM
I think it'd then depend on the mental ability scores you get from rolling 3 3d6s. If you *maximise* them, then it'd be something along LA +5/+6 (+8 to all mental ability scores, yay). Although if you take the average value (10-11) then it'd be more like LA +0/+1 at the most.

dman11235
2008-05-02, 07:06 PM
Uh, only the int is rolled. Cha is a mere +1d3, and wis stays. And I was thinking of taking average, as the campaign I might do this for is PB.

LibraryOgre
2008-05-02, 07:41 PM
Uh, only the int is rolled. Cha is a mere +1d3, and wis stays. And I was thinking of taking average, as the campaign I might do this for is PB.

Technically, Wisdom can be considered to be 3D6 as well, if its a character. The racial Wisdom of a wolf is simply its average.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-02, 08:18 PM

Oh, so it's different from Awaken Construct then. Oh well, I think it'd work well as LA +0 then.

Chronos
2008-05-02, 11:27 PM
The racial HD aren't as bad as they might be, since magical beasts get full BAB progression and a d10 HD. So a martial character at least isn't falling behind on that score. And you do get that nifty trip ability, which is worth about as much as a feat. Four fighter levels would get you two feats, so you're effectively gaining some nice ability score adjustments (Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +2, Cha -2) for the cost of a feat and opposable thumbs.

dman11235
2008-05-02, 11:40 PM
Fighter's not exactly the best thing to compare stuff to. If you're going to compare power wise, do it to a ranger or barbarian. Or a binder. Or for more powerful options, the ToB classes. And less powerful, Monk, Fighter, and Paladin. Oh, and fighters get three feats in the first four levels. Though you do bring up some valid points.

Chronos
2008-05-02, 11:57 PM
Well, I was comparing a Wolf RHD 4/fighter 2/X (barbarian or whatever) to a fighter 6/X, since many martial builds take a dip in fighter anyway, so it's only 2 feats for the levels, not 3. And I know that fighter isn't the most powerful class, but it is the easiest to compare to. You could certainly do a lot better than magical beast RHD, but you could also do a lot worse.

Jack Mann
2008-05-03, 12:20 AM
The racial HD aren't as bad as they might be, since magical beasts get full BAB progression and a d10 HD. So a martial character at least isn't falling behind on that score. And you do get that nifty trip ability, which is worth about as much as a feat. Four fighter levels would get you two feats, so you're effectively gaining some nice ability score adjustments (Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +2, Cha -2) for the cost of a feat and opposable thumbs.

They're augmented animals. That means they still get the features of the animal type, so d8 hit die and average BAB. They gain darkvision, but lose low-light vision.

Chronos
2008-05-03, 10:53 AM
Oh. Well, that sucks then. At least it's only 4 HD, so you only lose one BAB.

dman11235
2008-05-03, 11:07 AM
Somebody brought this up, the Worg has +1 LA and is exctly like the awakened wolf, except for the fact that it has far superior stat adjustments. +0 LA it is!

For those curious, the build is Super Wolf! He's three times the wolf of normal wolves! Taking both wolf totem barbarian variants.

Chronos
2008-05-03, 01:25 PM
While you're at it, you could toss in some Totemist for wolfish soulmelds. Worg Pelt, Winter Mask, and Blink Shirt come to mind.