PDA

View Full Version : Does your familiar share spells with you?

Frosty
2008-05-02, 10:41 PM
So picture this. I've got a Raven familiar with ranks in UMD. She is holding a wand of True Strike or True Casting. Can she cast the spell and share it with me so I don't have to waste a turn doing that?

Reel On, Love
2008-05-02, 10:45 PM
So picture this. I've got a Raven familiar with ranks in UMD. She is holding a wand of True Strike or True Casting. Can she cast the spell and share it with me so I don't have to waste a turn doing that?

No. You can share spells with your familiar. It doesn't say it can share them with you, so you can't.

Besides which, it doesn't make sense. It's your familiar; you're not its familiar.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-02, 10:46 PM
No. You can share spells with your familiar. It doesn't say it can share them with you, so you can't.

Besides which, it doesn't make sense. It's your familiar; you're not its familiar.A gate swings both ways.

FlyMolo
2008-05-02, 10:50 PM
A gate swings both ways.

+1. Anyways, why not? And even if you can't, what's the raven going to do with True Strike anyway? Deal 1d3-1 damage or something?

You have acid orbs and the like available.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-02, 11:03 PM
A gate swings both ways.

(Except the ones that don't.)

That's nice. Why would this work like a gate? Look, it's really simple. Your familiar has a "Share Spells (Ex)" ability, conveyed upon it by its very familiarhood. That ability allows you to share spells with it.

You don't have such an ability.

That's the end of it.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-05-02, 11:05 PM
+1. Anyways, why not? And even if you can't, what's the raven going to do with True Strike anyway? Deal 1d3-1 damage or something?

You have acid orbs and the like available.

Or you know, fire an Orb of Force that you give it with Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability.

Frosty
2008-05-02, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately, IwSA is not a Beguiler or even a Wizard spell. :smallfrown:

As a Beguiler with a familiar, what would you have it do each turn?

Chronos
2008-05-02, 11:39 PM
In combat, give it wands that do things directly, instead of trying to get it to buff you. So let your familiar fire off the wand of Web or whatever.

Out of combat, have it use Aid Another to give you a free +2 on all of your skill checks.

Frosty
2008-05-02, 11:57 PM
What kidna wands would you give it?

Fizban
2008-05-03, 12:28 AM

As a Beguiler with a familiar, what would you have it do each turn?

You're right, but IFwSA is, otherwise it would be useless.

Jack Mann
2008-05-03, 12:31 AM
What kidna wands would you give it?

Some buffs, spells that don't require saving throws, that sort of thing. Pretty much the sort of spells you'd be using wands for yourself.

However, for the original bit in this thread... The rules don't work that way. You could change them so that they did, but why would you? Wizards are already one of the most powerful classes in the game. This only makes them more powerful. They don't need another advantage.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-05-03, 02:19 AM

Which is why you use Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, the one on the Wizard list.

What to do?

Give him wands of touch range buff spells like Displacement/Mirror Image/ect. Have him cast them on you, and then you can share them back onto him.

Frosty
2008-05-03, 02:33 AM
is it in the SpC?

Reel On, Love
2008-05-03, 03:00 AM
is it in the SpC?

Yes, it is. It's like one sixth-level slot for six free Quickens of spells of up to fifth level. That don't take up your swift action.

namo
2008-05-03, 04:34 AM
Have him cast them on you, and then you can share them back onto him.

You can only share spells that *you* cast. And using a spell-trigger item is not really casting, though there some leeway on that part.

Benign Transposition (SC) and [Greater] Slide (SC) can be nice for a "chess player" feel : your familiar moves you and your allies around the battlefield (readying actions to slide people can be fun too). Get them on Eternal Wands (MIC) if you mean to use them over and over.

KIDS
2008-05-03, 07:12 AM
In Soviet Russia, familiar shares you!!!

sorry I had to :P

Frosty
2008-05-03, 11:46 AM
Does my familiar always act on my initiate I wonder? Or if it can ready/delay while I act normally.